Hey there good people of Steadyhealth forum ! . new to this so bare with me. i really tried to make it as short as possible..nonotheless its worth reading, trust me. if you're in the same situation please share your experience :)

Basically started smoking mj exactly a year ago, and being the kind of person i am (addictive personality) it might have been the biggest mistake i've made......yet.

I've always been an happy guy, motivated, hard working, focused, very social, and loved the outdoors. i stared smoking mj with a buddy of mine who i had just met on campus and became bestfriends instantly. Because my first time smoking the sticky stuff was such a success (didn't party but had one of the best day of my life) i was hooked and wanted to always have that feeling. i thougth about how good life would be if i was always high. We usually smoked with groups of people, and maybe a few times just us. while high we would go out, socialize, or hang out and play video games. i made more freinds because for some reason while high i am able to talk to any one with ease have some laughs with them also and became freinds afterwards. i mean life was good. Later came summer vacation i went home and there my addiction really began. i got a job instantly then began purchasing weed about every week. at home my brother is also into smoking so also was a few other friends from home. so we would sometimes all smoke together. on my days off i will wake up, smoke, eat breakfast, go to my boys house and hang there for the day. and somedays smoke eat listen to music and play online video games all day. i was having a damn good time.

its now fall and it time to go back to school. Unfortunately for me i transfered to a new college so i was sad i left all my friends from my old school but at the same time excited and pumped for the new experience at a new school. i was assigned a single room and since i had no roommate i was able to live how i wanted to. so i started my good ol' summer routine. waking up, smoke, eat, class, come back to the room smoke again eat play video games and eventually falling asleep. sometimes i will get so f*cked up that i will sleep almost 14 hours missing a few class also. in spite all the constant staying in my room i was still able to meet some people. sometimes i'll smoke with them, or one of them.real chill peeps. but i still felt like i wasn't socially active enough. well obvioulsy..all i really wanted to do now was go in my room, get high, surf the web listen to music, play online game(black ops ofcourse lol) and sleep after. it was like i loved the company of jyst myself and myself only. very few times i would go out and hang out with a couple of people either to smoke or just chill.but i always felt the urge to go back to my room. 3 months past and it finally hit me, that i accomplished nothing. it felt like i was sleeping for 3 months and i just woke up. i realized that smoking weed made lazier and almost anti-social (i'll explain more). i said no way and decieded to quit smoking mj. i did the detox thing worked out and was on my way to cleanseness.but being around my brother who loves mj i went right back to it. now im on my winter break and i spent my days smoking playing games, and maybe once in a blue go hang out with friends.

i later promised myself when school starts i will quit the habbit. but nooooooo God had a different plan for me i guess. so now i decieded to room in with a guy i met the previous semester so i wont always be alone in my room with the urge to smoke. he is a popular guy around this campus, and knew how to have fun so i was pretty excited about rooming with him. did i mention he also likes to smoke.but luckly for him he is one of those people who mj doesn't affect in any type of way..so we would smoke daily and with time i started falling behind in my studies, became even lazier, sluggish, motivation at a all time low, always tired, and never wanted to leave the room. All of a sudden i starting finding faults in everyone i knew, and thought everyone were such phonies. slowly began cutting some old friends off.they would contact me and i never replied. when i hang out with old firends i wasn't comfortable like i used to be. i would start thinking to myself what if he/she thinks im weird/awkward which makes me act awkward. i experince the same thing whever i meet someone new or pass by anyone. i have thoughts that they were all saying something bad or making fun of me behind my back. so i isolated myself even more. i cant even look at people in the face.  i feel like my personality has changed and try to avoid my old friends because i don't want them to see me as a defferent perosn so i dont loose them. when sober my mind is contantly thinking. the only time i feel okay is when im smoking by myslef or with my roommate in the room, listen to music and play games. i keep telling myself i gonna quit smoking mj but its like a voice in my head laughs at me and tells me opposite. forgot to mention i lost my job because i was being too lazy to call my manager and ask for hours (which she would've gladly given plenty to me). right now i feel like im still sleeping because my head is and has been dizzy and is not clear.I hate the way i have become.

At this point i am a sad 19year old. i am sick and tired of the habit i really need to quit for many reasons but the withdrawal symptoms is what i am trying to avoid. but as of now i am about 12 hours sober on my way to quiting.

What is my problem? do you think i will be able to get my old self/personality back? if so, how long will it take? what do i need to do? how can i avoid temptations?

Please any advice will be really helpful and greatly appreciated. sometimes i look at old pictures and almost start to tear because i miss the old me and the wonderful people i had in my life. I just want things to be back to normal.

I love that you did this because alot of what you worte is what my bf is going through and now i fialy understand where hes coming from so in a way you helped me so thank you. my bf smoked pot religously for year and has now been a month clean. he smoked because of his OCD, ADD, and ADHD. thing is though when he was high it was irritated easier because people around him ruined his high and with him clean hes hyper all the time and he has a 169 IQ and now im actually seeing how smart and quick witted he is and i love it. he the real him now and its alot better than the high him. so yes you will get your personality back but also its based on attitude so really you control if you get your person back or not. also he stopped smoking because he knows that oneday he will need to support me and needs a job and alot of jobs do drug tests. also when me and him thought i was pregnant that really pushed him to quit. what he did was made a vision board. which is simply take a poster board, go online and find picture of everything you want to be and all of your goals and put it on that poster. put it where you will see it everyday. when he looks at it everyday he tell himself that he already is those things. not that he will be those things but that he already is and the use of pot will cause him to lose it. its done him good cause hes been a month clean and hes actually been working for the past week so you know im proud of him. maybe you should try the vision boards too. just have a positive attitude about it and im sure youll get thru it

thanks for sharing information.....

Hmmm. Well, I'm also a heavy MJ smoker (I have been for about 15 months) and its not too hard for me to quit, but everyone is different in this respect. Keep in mind marijuana isn't an addictive substance, it has no addictive chemicals in it...but you can become psychologically addicted (aka its all in the head) so if you do quit, you should be ok in about 3 days...the only big side effect of quitting marijuana is you might have problems getting to sleep, and a lack appetite...but that will fade quickly, I promise. 

I wish you luck!
Bryan

(any questions just ask...I'm a major pot head lol)

thanks alot for the advice. really gave me a positive attitude right about now :) . and im definitely going to make a vision board (i can't believe i never thought of that). im glad you understood what your bf was going thru, most people just critisize us. give him all the support needed and goodluck to you two.

Thanks man. very true-mj isn't addictive but unfortunately im one of those who isn't built for smoking mj :( . and i envy people like you can smoke all they want and live a normal (even better) life lol

Enjoyed ur honesty in the post. RE: mj  --  marijuana is addicting. It's notoriously pychologically addictive; physically nada. People have been known to have PAWS from weed upto a year, later, especially if they're big-time stoners. You'll most likely get ur old self back, fairly soon. However, not immediately, if you've been a stoner. Use whatever support groups, people, services that are available, if needed. Many years ago, I won't say when -- I was confronted by a mental health professional regarding my 'weed issue.' My former girlfriend had confronted me on my very serious mj useage. It took me months, over a year to totally flush the psychotropics from my body. Of course, there were other issues going on, of which I refused to look at, till many years later. Frankly, I don't believe in most drug laws, for they presently don't work and never have. Now, I congratulate anyone who is in recovery, today, from whatever drug of choice or mood altering behaviour. It ain't easy, but, does get easier with time. Best of luck on your choice. Peace

it is all because you are 19 or so. Yours personality is developing so i am not sure what did you loose. As people here told you, it is all in your head. Physical addiction of mj is non. I did smoke daily for 12 years. Then stopped because didnt need it any more.
so stop crying like child and just stop smoke. then go and finally develop that personality. I had to deal with true fyzical addiction of other substance used for 17 years and THAT was a lot different cafe. Be glad you are just dealing with harmless weed. good luck.

Dude i'm in the exact same situation. Used to be funny and social then my first semester of college i started smoke like every day and after 5 months i realized my personality was pretty much gone. i too have been trying to avoid my old friends so they don't see me as a different person. My thoughts are all unorganized and my emotions are just flat

thanks for sharing..might be time for you to put down the joint buddy..it's been a month since i've been sober and man i can tell you i feel great already, my old self is coming back gradually and i am much more comfortable around old friend :) . it takes time and it might suck. but with time it will all be over. best luck to you...

I'm glad you wrote this, because now I know I'm not the only one. My girlfriend and I are going through a tough time and I dont put all the blame on weed but I dont think it has helped at all. I knew exactly who i was, funny, friendly...just like you..but now it seems like it has all been taken away from me. Good luck I hope your life has changed and i hope mine will too. I'm sick of feeling this way.

Google: self-forgiveness and marijuana

I think most of the peoples are likes this information, because its really interesting one. i would like to thank for creating this thread

you are a faggot keep smoking.