Hey everyone.

So, I have one question. My sister - in - law has some heart issues and she is trying to get pregnant. So just to be sure that everything is OK with her, doctor suggested her to have event monitor. Another doctor, who is our good friend, he told her that event monitor is OK but that it is better for her to have loop recorder. I was so confused because I believe that those things are the same. So, can you answer on my question? Is there any difference between an event monitor and loop recorder? Tnx!

Good day there Couch. I also always believed that those monitors and the recorders are the same thing. But they are not. There is the difference, but if you ask me this difference is minor.

A cardiac event recorder is a battery powered portable device that you control to tape-record your heart’s electrical activity when you have certain symptoms. There are two types of event recorders: a loop memory monitor and a symptom event monitor.   Cardiac event recorders and other devices that record your ECG as you go about your daily activities are also called ambulatory electrocardiographic monitors. That is pretty much it.

Good day two of you.

When you have some unexplained fainting process your doctor will usually recommend a loop recorder for you. I know because I have been through this as well and I do know what is the feeling. But I do know a little more about loop recorder than event monitor. This is actually a very small insertable device that continuously monitors heart rhythms and records them either automatically or when you use a hand-held patient assistant. Doctor will insert this and if you experience another fainting episode after receiving the monitor, your doctor can access and download information from the monitor, and that definitely may help to determine if your fainting was caused by a heart related problem.

Hello guys. Well thank you for clearing this up for me. I now do understand more about this loop record. Now when I have mentioned, I think that my good friend mentioned me a couple of days ago that he needs to have this loop recorder. I forget about it because I have a lot of job and I don't know where my head is - it is not a excuse. Anyway, anyone can tell me than more about even monitor. And is it silly question to ask which one is better and which one doctors usually recommend? Tnx a lot. 

Hey Couch Potato,

I personally think that the loop monitor is a bit better than the event monitor.

Once you press a button on your loop monitor, it will also save the data some time before you pressed the activation button. It works good because if you faint and press the activation button after you get up, the data from the moment when you fainted will be saved as well. You don't have this option with an event monitor, it will only save the data from the very moment when you pressed the activation button, that's why I think that a loop monitor is better.

That is true Guest, but if I'm not mistaken, you have to wear a loop monitor all the time on you which isn't the case with an event monitor so it basically depends on what condition does a person have and if this person is able to have this device placed on him or her for the entire time. If you only look at what it does, then yeah, loop monitor should be better, but if you have a condition such as angina or something similar, then an event recorder would be just fine. I don't know, I think it all depends on the condition you have.

You are right, I'm just speaking about the results that these devices can provide, not talking about the condition that the person is having, whatever the condition is, loop monitor will always have better results stored that an event monitor will. You are right, however, about whether the person can have this device attached to his or her body all the time. For example, if this person is a swimmer, it is very unlikely that he or she will be able to wear a loop monitor.

I don't know either which one would actually be better, I think that they are both pretty much good.

They basically do the same thing, which one are you going to use depends on your lifestyle, like others have explained above. However, I think that it would be smart for a person to wear a loop monitor and try to avoid any occasions where he or she might have to remove it from his or her body. It will have more results to show to your doctor when you get there, and they will be more precise. However, if a person cannot manage to do this, then I guess that he or she will have to go along with an event monitor.