I had a similar problem and I went to the hospital and they said I had bruised my Diaphragm, Was one of the most painful things ever to experience in my life! I was told to take strong painkillers and the pain went in a couple of days. Hope its all better now though :) 

I suggest you go to you doctor and get your blood draw, see what your red cell count is and also check your heart. I am not a doctor nor do I want to be. I have had that, found to have too many red blood cells accumulating in my body. I get purple legs, red face, virtigo, and also causes arthritis, I have tried to get them to check me for the Lyme disease, I am still getting dismissed on that...so please, best thing to do is get someone to check your blood...

Yes, the same with me. It's intense pain in the left shoulder when I inhale, or yawn. Nothing helps with the pain, but it isn't a constant. Thank God! You have any ideas, or tried treatmen's that have actually worked?
The only time there is no pain is when I don't breathe. I can't hold my breath very long.

Finally, a helpful comment. Thank you.

OFten it is an elevated first rib, causing compression at the collar bone, neck, shoulder blade junction. Here are 2 articles that are helpful, and finding a chiro, DO or PT that is familiar with these techniques can get you the mobilization if needed. Belly breathing is an important part of decreasing overuse of scalene(neck muscles) use for respiration.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3109687/ more technical but has a self- mob. pic.

Obviously rule out lung or heart problems if you're problem doesn't seem to just be mechanical.

Good luck all, Laura, PT, also currently suffering from this

I am in the process of having my back looked at by a specialist.. Two days ago my left side of my neck and shoulder start hurting. It's getting more painful, especially when I take a deep breath or when I am lying down. It's a week till I see my specialist. Does anybody know what could be causing this or has had similar problems?
Thank You
AC

Thoraic outlet syndrome. These are descriptions of common symptoms. Too much computer use in a poor position is one cause. I'm in my second year of physical therapy to try to fix this problem. Other choice was remove first ribs.

O my ...so sorry about that ..

It sounds like you are having small blood clots pass through your blood stream..Clots can cause IMMENSE PAIN TAKE MY WORD FOR IT!!! I have had them for many years they are no picnic ..They can pass through your heart, cause a heart attack..go to your brain cause a stroke..I had one in 2009..Go to your lungs..ALL IN ALL THEY CAN CAUSE DEATH!!!! STOP PLAYING AROUND ON THIS SIGHT ASKING PEOPLE THAT ARE NOT DOCTORS GO TO THE ER FOR GODS SAKES ISN'T YOUR LIFE WORTH IT..OR ARE YOU ALL JUST SEEKING ATTENTION???ITS NOT A GAME THIS IS SERIOUS!!!!! STROKES...COLLAPSED LUNGS..COMAS..HEAR T ATTACKS..DEATH...EVEN FROZEN SHOULDERS..FOR THAT YOUR DOCTOR IS STUPID!! SHE SHOULD HAVE SENT YOU FOR AN XRAY OR MRI TO AN ORTHOPEDIST (SHE IS NOT A SPECIALIST) HE WILL EITHER GIVE YOU A SHOT OF CORTISONE IF THAT DOESN'T WORK THEN HE WILL MOST LIKELY RECOMMEND SURGERY..and yes i have that too..and cancer...have more things than i care to mention..SO PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GO TO THE DOCTOR IF U CANNOT AFFORD ONE THE ER HAS TO TREAT U BY LAW!!!!

I have this and it keeps recurring so much so I ended up in A&E three times unable to breathe and was admitted. I ended up with a cardio echo, CT wit contrasts and still they don't really know what it is. As I am writing I have had a horrendous night and morning. I am frightened to take a deep breath.