I had my endoscopy is done last Monday and I'm still having trouble swallowing. It's been 7 days and I still can't really hold down any solid food and I'm constantly throwing up and have that lump feeling in the back of my throat making it hard to swallow and I'm very nauseous at the same time mind you I had my esophagus dilated. I would never do this procedure again.

I woke up too, and tried to pull it out, im still in pain dizzy spells, and gagging reflex is stronger, its just one of those surgery's that don't go well the majority of the time, but its better than the old way hopefully it will be the old way because its not pain free, or consequence free by any means.

I am so very grateful to've found this page. I had an endoscopy end of November, it's now January. I would want to add I'm a retired Critical Care RN. Several things happened with this last scope ( I've had several during my life for GI issues) that've never happened to me before. First, when I came around in recovery, I had what I'd have to call moderate to severe chest pain. I'm in my sixties, have never smoked and have NO history of cardiac history. Of course I alerted my nurse, who assured me it was "nothing". I honestly wasn't sure whether I was having an MI. She called the Doc in who'd done my scope, he told me "it's good that it hurts, shows I did my job". Of course I wanted to smack him for that, but was hurting too much to be my usual sassy self. He'd done multiple dilatations of my esophagus, so I had to accept that as the cause of the pain I had. Usually after a scope, I go get something lovely to eat and sleep it off for a day or so, then back to normal. Since that scope, I have had that awful something-stuck-in-my-throat feeling that others here describe, and have been unable to get rid of it. When I first tried to eat and drink post-prodedure, I got a nasty shock; anything hot or very cold hurt soooo bad, I nearly choked trying to sip a cup of tea, because it hurt so bad. For five days post-procedure I went through that; I could only eat/drink room-temp fluids or food. None of these things ever happened to me after a scope before ! I called the Dr's answering service over the weekend because I was alarmed at what was happening. The covering Doc told me it was "likely" from the dilatations and would pass. It has not. I went in for a follow-up appt and was subsequently scheduled for a barium swallowing study, which I am awaiting. I am having a hard time eating & drinking, I have to do this very annoying throat-clearing thing several times an hour ( which I'm sure irritates those around me) have even lost some weight because of difficulty eating. Foolishly, I tried to eat my favorite snack, popcorn, one night and thought I was going to have to call 911 for choking ; it was terrifying. I've since discovered another issue; prior to Nursing I was a professional jazz vocalist,made my living that way. I read up on dysphagia ( what difficulty swallowing is called) and learned singing can help, so I thought I'd sing as therapy. I downloaded a singing program to my smart phone and began trying to sing with it. I can barely get through 8 bars without spasmodic coughing and gagging, eyes tearing and I have to immediately stop. I am so, so worried. I should also say I went into the prodecure with a cracked rear molar tooth that had some of the lead filling protruding ( yes, I told them). I'd tried ( before the scope) to cut that thing off using small jewelry pliers ( I know, I know) and it was immoveable, like, going NOWHERE. When I looked into my mouth after the scope while flossing, I noted the filling and part of the tooth was GONE.  I think I caught some kind of trauma during that endoscopy and nobody wants to admit that to me. I'm going to have the swallowing study, and see what they tell me after that, but I'm telling you, I was absolutely NOT like this before this scope and am a mess now and it isn't getting any better.  Have any of you experienced these kinds of things, and if so, what did you do about them, how long did they last, what did your Dr do ?? Hoping someone here can offer some support or resource. Thank you so much.

Hi Phoenixwmn, are you from the UK? I was scheduled for endoscopy tomorrow the 24th of Jan in London, but after reading all the comments here - I'm not having it. Not tomorrow, not ever. I also am a singer and my voice is my most treasured possession. I'll go mad if I lose it. There is something that comes to my mind about the lump in your (and the other's) throats though. I think it's a traumatic reflex. Like if you lose your arm in a traumatic accident - you might have pain in the place of the amputation for life, because your body remembers the trauma when you lost your arm. I think the shock that your body experienced, while under sedation and numbing drugs, left a "traumatic reflex" inside your throat (as your body was trying to shut the throat to prevent suffocation, while you were unconsciousness). I think your body still "thinks" that the endoscope is in your throat. May be if you speak to a psychiatrist - they might be more aware of this phenomena. I learned about this condition in Dr House's tv episodes. May be a session of hypnosis might reassure your body that the endoscope is gone and release the trauma. I doubt that you could do it consciously with your mind as your mind wasn't present at the time of the trauma. I sincerely empathize everyone on here for their horrible experience and I'm never ever going for it myself. :(

Hi Phoenixwmn, I read about your horrible experience & wanted to share with you I had a gastroscopy done in May 2014, and everysince then have experienced the lump in throat sensation also. I was wondering if your symptoms have went away?

Hello and thank you for your concern. Although I'm still doing some frequent throat clearing, it isn't anywhere near as bad as it was in the period of weeks post-procedure. No, I'm not in the UK, although so many of my ancestors are from there, so I'd adore a visit. To your comments: The episode of "House" you're referring to was regarding amputated limbs. That really doesn't apply to post-endoscopy issues. I say that to you as an RN with 25 years' experience, although that experience did me no good whatever in dealing with what I experienced. As it happens ( and no small irony) I am also trained as a Certified Registered Clinical Hypnotherapist, although I am not currently practicing. What you suggest is wise if it was indeed a traumatic reflex, which it isn't. I actually caught some trauma from the scope itself that affected my swallowing, I finally learned. I had to have a special barium radiograph-video swallowing study after my procedure because of the choking and difficulty swallowing. I've done alot of therapy for it and it has resolved to a great degree. My voice is not up to usual standard yet but on it's way; I just have to be faithful to the therapy. Getting medical information from a 'medical tv show' has very limited usefulness in the overwhelming majority of cases; it most often just causes more worry because the lay person doesn't have all the facts. If your physician recommends an endoscopy, you probably do need to have it. The folks like myself here on this board discussing what happened to us are the exceptions, not the rule. I have had over 20 scopes in my life r/t GI issues, and never had a single problem til the last one, if that's any comfort to you. Hoping you have a good outcome and good health~ ! Nice to hear from you. :)

Yes, I have the same problems. Had my endoscopy 5 days ago and cant eat or drink anything hot, have to have all food just tepid. roof of my mouth is very sore and throat is sore all the time and causes more pain when I swallow. Am on antibiotics for chest infection following procedure, so just hoping it will clear up. I see your post was over a year ago, how long did you have the bad throat please? Hope you are better now?

You did quite right to refuse the procedure, in my opinion. I'm in the UK - South West. I would never have that procedure done again. I had to have a general because I have COPD. 5 days post procedure, I can hardly swallow can only eat and drink tepid food and drink and am woken in the night with the pain in my throat. My ~Dr is aware. I am on a course of penicillin as I have a chest infection following the procedure.

Dysphagia ( not dysphasia--that means difficulties speaking, not swallowing) post-endoscopy seems to be quite a problem for a certain segment of patients, and I was one of them. I do not believe your daughter has a psych issue, although I'm certainly not looking at her chart as I say that. There are hundreds of people here who've had the same exact issues you're describing of your daughter. Just like her, I couldn't eat/drink anything warmer or colder than room temp, it was honestly excruciating. I came out of the sedation with chest pain so severe I thought I was having a heart attack !!! For the first ten days afterward I was a mess. I am STILL doing alot of throat clearing and my scope was months ago !! I think there are side effects from this diagnostic that GI Drs don't seem to want to buy into. I have life-long GI issues and have scopes fairly often, but this last one was the first time I ever had any post-scope issues. There's nothing wrong with your little girl's mind; this is a real and significant side effect of endoscopy and WHY the health care community wants to suppress that reality is beyond me, and I say that as an RN with 25 years experience. Hoping things get better for her soon ! P.S.---If I were you I'd INSIST on her having a swallowing study. It is totally painless and it would show if she has swallowing issues, which it sure sounds like she does. Best wishes to you.

I am doing better now, thank you, but still doing alot of throat clearing and it's a year ago my study was done ! Relative to what I've suffered through, I already refused to have another scope. No one wants to own that this study can cause very real issues for patients afterward, and until they do, I'm out. I had to have a Barium Swallowing Study and it showed I am having issues swallowing. Unfortunately the only help out there is speech therapy. I know what's involved for that and I've done those things for myself. I was very surprised by this whole thing; I've had many scopes over the years and never had a problem til this last one. But thank you again for asking; I'm much better now. Try to stick with room temp liquids and ask your Dr for some Carafate as a slurry. ( he'll know what you mean). You put the Carafate in a little liquid ( the slurry part), it dissolves and then you swallow it…it coats your esophagus and helps alot with eating/drinking/swallowing. Hoping that will be of some help to you.

Me too! Mine seems to move around. Sounds stupid but it is there. Have you gotten any relief?

Granny, I know this is a old post but am wondering if your lump feeling went away? Unfortunately, I also had a endoscopy done in May 2014 and still living with the horrible feeling. However, I went in with very high anxiety so not sure if its gloubus.

Just had the procedure done. I'm experiencing the same thing. You will need to keep your mouth clean. Floss, brush and use mouthwash two times a day. In the middle of the day rinse with mouthwash again. Eat something soothing like non fat ice cream. If you still have a lump in your throat you'll need to have it looked at to make sure the wound did not transform into anything. If the doctor was careless with the procedure and you if you're infected with HPV, a bad bacteria, or some other disease it can become infected or turn into cancer. Have it looked at by someone else without giving a sample to check for abnormalities. You'll want to sue the doctor who was so careless if there is anything wrong caused by his or her wrong doing. If the doctor is aware that something like what your experiencing can happen because he or she wanted a sample, you should use your rights. Doctors are supposed to know. Very easy to sue one for not knowing.

I just had one 3 days ago and experiencing the same thing lump and right ear pain.. I had a endoscopy done before and had no side effects. This time I do I suppose it's because I had dilation but they did not warn me of this. Heck they even joked about after the procedure I should go out for dinner!. Haven't been able to eat anything midly solid. Even pudding causes pain. Guess I'll have to give the doctor a call soon but he treated me pretty poorly so i doubt I'll get much assistance.

Hiya all, my experience was also the same. I had two tests in the same week, first time was normal no bad feelings afterwards but 2nd time round...i got this feeling like everyone else has. The lump feeling.
The last test I had was yesterday, so i got this feeling this afternoon and the bad spray taste in still lingering. Although now its the end of the night it kind of feels less annoying. I tried a couple things and found that throat sweets which we eat when we have sore throats actually make it feel better. It doesnt get rid of it but whilst the lump is still there, its more bareable if you try these sweets every now and then.