Note: I understand I wrote a lot, as most post about experiences like this are. If someone who knows what I'm going through can please take the time to read this and give me some advice I would greatly greatly appreciate it. It would give me much-needed consolation.

Hey guys, I'm an 18 year-old high school student. I weigh 165lbs and athletic. I've never abused drugs before. I've just gotten drunk a bunch of times, popped Adderall and Vyvanse a few times for studying and SAT's but that's pretty much it. I try to stay away even from Advil and over the counter medicines. Overall I'm pretty healthy.

Last Sunday (5 days ago), one of my friends gave me a pot brownie without telling me it was a pot brownie. 30 minutes after I ate it he told me he ground up an ounce of shake (sugar leaves) and about 6 grams of bud from the dispensary and baked it with 4 sticks of butter. I became really pissed and yelled at him for giving me marijuana without telling me but I decided it wasn't worth getting mad because it was already done. About an hour after I ate the brownie I started feeling it. I felt pretty good actually, I was watching a movie and I fell asleep on the couch. About 2 hours later (3 hours after I actually ate the brownie) my brother woke me up and that's when it all began.

I was freaking out. I thought I had lost my mind. I thought I was going to stay like that forever, which made me panic even more. I kept telling myself "you'll get out of this when the weed wears off" but somehow those words got lost in my spinning head. I had to remind myself to breath and my lungs felt super heavy. I was crying incessantly. All of my guilt suddenly poured out. I felt sorry for all the "bad" things I had done recently. Forging my mom's signature, getting a tattoo without telling my mom, not helping my mom out when she's super tired after work, etc. I felt an overwhelming rush of negative emotions. I felt like my eyes were finally opened to the true nature of the world, which was sadness and suffering. I thought of all the suffering that people all over the world are going through, the selfish nature of our society. I also visited myself in my childhood, and this made me even more sad. I saw how innocent and good-intentioned I was and then compared that to myself now. After about 6 hours of tripping balls, I finally fell asleep.

When I woke up I still felt high but not as much. I was still emotional and would cry at every single thing. I went to school and wrestling practice and have been progressively getting better throughout the week. I felt like I was totally better until tonight. I was laying on the couch watching a movie, just like I was when I ate the brownie. Then like freight train it hit me. My brain felt kind of icy hot, if that makes any sense, and I felt the same emotions I did then night I had the bad experience.

My research led me to something called depersonalization but my question is is it too soon to consider depersonalization? Is it likely that this will go away? Do I need to go get drug tested? Any advice? Am I just worrying too much?

Thanks in advance.

-Ash

I think that you are probably worrying too much, and you are very likely still feeling the effects of the pot in your body. The first time I ever cooked and ate with pot, I felt like I had lost my ever-loving mind, my mood dropped significantly, my anxiety raged out of control, I had mood swings from hell, and it was just not a good experience at all. And I was a heavy smoker at the time. In fact, I had pretty much been high for several months straight, only sobering up while I slept, when I went through this. Eating it can affect you totally and completely differently than smoking it can. Although I don't advise doing either one...for years I believed smoking was innocent and harmless fun, but after experiencing marijuana withdrawal I don't hold that opinion at ALL anymore. I now struggle with addiction because of it. 

I'd reconsider calling this person your friend, honestly. That was a really low thing of him to do. What if it was something more hard-core next time that he slipped to you? He's not thinking straight.

You will be fine once this passes out of your system completely. How much time that will take I could not tell you, it is different for everyone. What I have found that has helped me is to make sure and not focus on all the odd and weird and disturbing symptoms. Just push them aside, tell yourself "this is temporary, it is a side effect, and I will feel better soon!" Positive reinforcement helps a lot.

Thanks a lot to the person who responded to the original post. I am the original poster but I anonymized the post. Again, thanks a lot for your input and reassurance, it means a lot to me.

It's been about 3 weeks or so since my experience and I'm not feeling 100% but I feel optimistic about my recovery.

Thank you!

No problem bro

same here..any cure by now ? How long it took u to get normal ? Its been 7 days n m stil feeling heavynes in my head..bright colour n to much sound messes with me..sumtime i get normal..it goes in n out..plz reply i took sleeping pill didn't help heart went very calm blood presure runing low..nothing wrong with sleeping but daytime is hard to go through

i took one recent and i feel like my troaght tighten but ive been to hosptal maybe 3 times they said its like a panic attk how long wile it take only time will tell ,while asleep everything is fine but once my eyes open feel like i cant eat or drink anything and feel like i cant breath right  i hope this goes away soon awful feeling been 5 days now 

so what happened after that? cz my friend is feeling the same thing... when does it go away?

I dont know if it helps or if you are still checking this but I had a similar experience, not as intense though since I have smoked before. But yeah, I felt that guilt that you felt, and I wept at the sadness of the world, and that were all just on a ticking time clock to non-existence. Still depressed. Pot may not be the drug for those who are to self-aware or aware of the world's suffering.

You've abused drugs. Everything you listed in that sentence (besides drinking alcohol) is the definition of drug abuse

look man you'll be fine everyday is a new day and through life youll get better dont be hard on yourself cause of what you have done in the past. when doing pot just think about it as a good time and dont do it agian wash your couch or spray it. (superstition reasons).

My son had a similar experience after visiting Colorado. he went to go skiing on spring break. He consumed edible cannabis, ended up totally going crazy. He lost his car, after literally giving it away to some thugs who drove it to LA. He lost all his belongings he had. Ran up thousands of dollars in debt. All the while he was crying, shivering in an alleyway behind an old building. He never once got to go skiing. He failed all his classes, and is on academic probation at UCF. He was terrified, lost his phone, everything. We found him a month later, almost dead from starvation and exposure, a rambling id**t. We brought him home (florida). Its been a few months now, he is almost normal again. He still sleeps a lot, and is very upset about what happened to him. I am an old hippie from washington state, and I was in favor of legalization, but now having second thoughts.

Hii, I'm going through something similar.. I'm freaking out.. how long did it take to pass..?

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I think your son and I can get along quite well.
I was also a student at UCF. A week before finals I accidentally had a whole weed brownie. I lost my mind. I went from having a top internship with an aerospace firm and 3.97 GPA to unemployed and on academic probation. I closed all my bank accounts and credit cards and transferred all my money to my mom thinking I was going to die. Then I attempted suicide and was baker acted for two weeks. Mind you, before this I never in my life had suicidal thoughts. I had bouts of mild depression, but nothing like what I'm going through now. 3 moths later and I'm about 60% back. Still have a lot of difficulty getting out of the house.

The media and a lot of people try to make out marijuana as a harmless drug. However, they do very little to inform people of the terrible consequences of an edible. If you have zero tolerance to marijuana, AVOID EDIBLES AT ALL COSTS.

I just had a similar experience but feeling extreme hot and then cold sensations in my chest, weakness, felt faint...thought I was dying! My face was scalding hot. I could hardly walk.
I got an ice pack and drank a lot of water. Still don't feel well today.

I hope you're a troll.