1/2 cup apple sauce
2 squares unsweetened baking chocolate
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup walnut pieces
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350. Grease 9 inch baking pan. Melt apple sauce and chocolate in double boiler over low heat. Remove from heat and stir in sugar, flour, baking powder, vanilla and nuts. Add eggs, beat well. Pour batter into baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes.

I like to put Devil Icing on them:
1 square baking chocolate
1 tbsp butter
3 tbsp milk
icing sugar to thicken

melt butter and chocolate in double boiler. Add milk and enough sugar that it becomes a thin icing. Pour over cooled brownies and allow to harden

WARNING: It is against federal law to consume these brownies without ice cream, preferably chocolate.

How about whip cream ;)

Well, it's dairy and full of fat, so I guess it's allowed.

:insert drooling smilie here:

Brownies. It's what's for dinner....WOO HOO!!!!

:insert drooling smilie here:
There is the smilie ;)

The instructions say to melt the butter and choc. squares but the ingredient list doesn't list butter. :?

Sorry, PH, melt the apple sauce and chocolate.

I made these last night. Here's my review...

Even with 'fermented' apple sauce (it's all I had) they turned out pretty good. They've got a little bite from the fermentation but they're good. They lack the richness that comes from being loaded with fat, but that's the price you pay for eating healthy. I didn't do the frosting because I ran out of choc. squares. They've got a cake-like texture which is neither good or bad, it just depends on what you like in a brownie. Easy to cut and came right out of the pan (which is more than I can say for the last batch of un-healthy brownies that I made.)

If there are any left when I get home today, I'll be sure to have some more. :banana:

I may have another recipe at home that does come out real gooey....I'll try them both this weekend and compare.

PH, mine always come out gooey and brownie-like. Are you turning the pan halfway through the baking time? Do you have a gas or electric oven?

"Almost Healthy Brownie Recipe" I would never think I'd read the words healthy and brownie on the same line. I will have to try out this recipe and see it it ruins my current diet.

Trail Running Blog

Recently I ran into an amazing flaxseed brownie recipe and since I became a flaxseed fanatic, I tried it right away. You can find the recipe here: Flex Seed Muffin Recipe

I use almonds instead of walnuts. It's even 'healthier' combination - you can't stop eating.

Mmmm this sounds delicious, I will try it :)

How about whip cream ;)
Thanks for the great recipe, Im a chocoholic myself i bought some really good energy chocolates from my local grocery store made by Top Form Nutrition