I learned from a nurse that the Epstein Barr Virus (also known as mononucelosis) can cause an outbreak of bumps in the genital area. The nurse's girlfriend had it mistaken for herpesm but later blood tested out negatively and never had another outbreak. 95% of us have the antibody for EBV but never had symptoms because only 10% of us come down with the fever and flu like symptoms, so in high school some may have felt embarrassed for the people who got the 'kissing disease' but actually most of us were kinda "inoculated" by it from the general population who didn't even know they had just gotten it and were contagious at that point.

**Disclaimer, the rest of this I learned from my own research and experience and talking with people who have it, so it may not be 100% accepted in the medical community. The reason why I know about this is that I was one of the 5% who did not have it until adulthood and doctors postulated it was anything else which didn't test positive, until I researched and tested positive for EBV**

If you look up EBV you will find that it can result in all over body symptoms, this includes sensitivity to the eyes along with joint pain and muscle fatigue, general malaise. For people who interpret the virus as an allergen, it also results in hives on the face, neck and chest (like when someone is nervous when making a speech). For people who have EBV, it never goes away, and it sits in the nerve ganglions (trigeminal in the head or sacral in the bottom of the spine). Same places that HSV-1 or HSV-2 would sit. In fact, because EBV is considered in part, an inflammatory skin disease, it is also classified as one of the 80 types of herpes (chickenpox/shingles being another type). This doesn't mean you would get any sores that open and could transmit EBV, it just means its a virus, that sits in the nerves, that can cause a skin reaction (or other symptoms), and can reoccur in waves (frequently or once in a while, once every few months or once every 10 years, or never again), depending on your stress level and immunity. When the nerves are stimulated (stress, low immunity), the EBV stirs and can stimulate the subaceous glands (oil glands), creating breakouts on the face, neck, chest and other mucosal areas (lips, inside of cheeks, down there). Where there are no pores, or smaller pores (lips, inside cheeks, mucosal areas, around eyes), the oil glands swell with no release, creating 'Fordyce" spots, or little bumps. These do not carry the virus, you cannot pass on fordyce spots from contact, they just result from oil glands being stimulated by your nerves being hyperactive from the stirring of the virus. However, people who have fordyce spots can catch EBV from another (contagious) person, who may also develop fordyce spots on their own in the same areas.

Research says that EBV is contagious for only a short period, such as 2-5 weeks. However, it is believed that 1% of people who have EBV are contagious on a reoccuring basis, and do not even know it. This is how it is believed the other 5% of the adult population who do not have it, get it. Research says that an early and correct diagnosis of Mononucleosis is little red spots on the inside of the cheeks, that appear to change position every 12 hours. It can also result in one sore bump on the back lower gum, or upper gum, which could seem like a burnt spot in the mouth, as it goes away in 1-2 days. It is said that EBV is transmitted from the saliva in the mouth (perhaps these special red dots and sometimes reoccuring sores secreet the virus), and it is spread as an upper respiratory infection, and can live in the air for a short time (in hot temperatures) to be inhaled by another or very briefly on utensils.

For people who interpret the virus as an allergen, it can result in temporary swelling and hives on the face (forehead, cheeks, chin or around the lips), neck and chest (such as the red hives you see in people who are giving a speech). Sometimes, just thinking of something stressful can cause these hives. Sometimes, in stressful nights, one can feel the nerves in the face throbbing and eyes watering, when the virus is stirring. The swelling/hives can be worsened with lowered immunity (including drinking alcohol), at which times, the hives or swelling may be reignited and last a night or even a few days or chronically. Such inflammation is followed by dry patches or piles of skin (almost like psoriasis). Chronic inflammation leads to red capillaries that cluster at the surface of the skin (inflammed ruddy look of the face and neck). I now notice this inflammed ruddy look more on men than women who are aging, maybe because women call it rosacia and cover it with makeup, although the thick skin and deep acne scars with result from the cystic acne boughts which could have been brought on by EBV are still visible. Previously I thought it was just poor complexion or acne during childhood. While those are still true, I tend to think those people have EBV and are chronically allergic to it in their skin. I hope to be able to control it enough to prevent this from happening. Anti-viral cream helps when lemon juice in water and less sugar fails. IPL laser light treatment helps to break up any capillaries coming to the surface, the sooner treated after they appear, the more likely they dissappear for good. EBV attacks white blood cells.

When the body first encounters the virus in the infected white blood cells, it will usually make the antibody for Epstein Barr. In very rare cases, the body makes an anti-body which attacks the entire white blood cell, called an Anti-nucelar Antibody (ANA), which is associated with Lupus. Lupus is a more complex disease because some of several different factors must be present, such as aching muscles and fatigue (and a face rash on cheeks and nose), however, one is not diagnosed with lupus unless ANA is present. If you think you have gotten EBV and/or believe you have transmitted it to someone else, it would be wise to get a blood test for both EBV and ANA so you are sure you did not make the wrong antibody, they can do the test from the same vile of blood.

Because EBV is a virus, it responds to anti-virals more commonly associated with the treatment of HSV. Anti-virals work differently than antibiotics. The virus is not killed by the anti-virals, the anti-viral basically mimic a white blood cell, and the virus which attaches to it cannot reproduce. Therefore, taking anti-virals is not seen in the medical community to do much good, unless you have taken them within 24 to 36 hours of initial infection to block them from over-populating your system the first time. Because most people's bodies figure out how to fight the virus and keep it at bay with its own antibodies, its seen by some doctors to get to that point sooner, rather than soften the blow with anti-virals. In fact, the body might rely on those anti-virals as a crutch and not fight them on their own while being taken, only to delay the inevitable of stopping the anti-virals and all the viruses hitting a lazy or unprepared system.

It is only in more recent years that it was deemed appropriate to give anti-virals intraveneously at the hospital, but it is rare that EBV is suspected when someone goes to the emergency room with flu-like symptoms. One case study I read in the mountain of research showed a woman who returned to the emergency room several times and was still not diagnosed with EBV or treated with anti-virals. Normally, people who get over a flu on their own and were not diagnosed with EBV would have no reason to later get tested for the anti-body. The only reason this study existed was because she was back at the doctors with the ANA antibody and diagnosed with lupus, and they traced her sickness from the beginning phase. In another case I saw, it appears that adults might get it worse when first infected because adult twins went to the emergency room, both infected with EBV, treated with anti-virals, but one died while the other survived. Remember, it is only 10% of people infected with EBV are hit hard with flulike symptoms.

In Europe, Chronic Epstein Barr is recognized. In the US it is not. The medical community in the US frowns upon prescribing anti-virals for periodic reoccuring symptoms Epstein Barr, because its not a cure. However, I gave EBV to my Mom within the first month of being sick with EBV (in the air or on my plates when she fed me), and she now has chronic, reoccuring intense muscle and joint pain. When its too intense for her, she takes 4-5 days worth of anti-viral pills (2 valacyclovir pills per day but taken in 1/4 tab doses to give steady levels), and during this time her pain is reduced by at least 2/3rds and her body gets relief from the attacking virus. Its like she forgets she was complaining of the pain before, and I warn her, be prepared for what happens when you are doneafter. If the virus was attacking her hard, it stands to reason she has increased health while the pills prevent it from proliferating further during this low immunity-time. She feels that the pause her body gets from fighting what would have been proliferating viruses, gets her body in a better position to fight the ones it already has. When she stops the anti-virals, she says up to half the pain returns. Still, she says she much prefers to get the relief when she feels she needs it. It also helps combat the virus to improve immunity, such as when she eats alkaline foods, adds fresh lemon juice to her water and takes collodial silver. She always has a bad pain morning after eating sugar the night before. I know that doctors disagree, but if something makes someone feel better and they are in agony...I don't see too much harm. The good news is that we know what it is and how to treat it. And she was tested for ANA and did not get lupus from me. Also, there is talk about the pain of chronic EBV pain lessing over a period of time, such as a year, two or sometimes four years. My Mom is on other pain meds, but since she has reduced her sugar (acidic) intake over the last month, she's doing almost as good as when she was on the anti-virals. Lets hope the trend continues. Because EBV pain is caused by stirring of the virus in the nerve ganglions, my Mom and I tend to think EBV could be one of the causes of fibromyalgia.

By the way, my whole family got EBV when I came home with it. (We never lived in dorms and were nerdy home studies so apparenlty never got it in high school). My Mom got it badly, my brother got 'curious' fordyce spots on his lips. So we were sitting at the table and because my Step-Dad hadn't gotten any reaction, and I asked him "What gives?" and he revealed that he had mono pretty badly in high school. Apparently, his immunity was still good enough to fight off any extra viruses that came his way.

If anyone is interested, I got the virus within 2 days of returning from a trip to Turkey (during a break from housesitting in Amsterdam over one winter), potentially at the steamy, enclosed hookah bar, or the steamy public bath house. I believe it was in Turkey because I had intense pain in one eye and became blinded for 15 minutes. This was after touching a used towel on a heated towel rack and rubbing my eye. The strange thing is that when I returned from Turkey to Amsterdam, I finally kissed my new boyfriend for the first time, and developed a sore spot on my upper gum as the first symptom, within a day after me he developed a sore spot in his back gum, and the next day I was hit hard. He slept it off for two days and was fine, I became extremely ill (burning eyes, extreme photophobia, throbbing facial nerves, headache, fever, chills, the WORST sore throat ever). I did not have a health plan in Amsterdam but was able to get a hold of, and go on heavy anti-virals within 24 hours (in case it was shingles of the eyes, to avoid becoming blind). Because I also developed green phlem, I started anti-biotics 3 days later (which knocked out the green phlem but left the other symptoms).

Around the same time, one of the members of the group I was traveling with in Turkey (who went to the public baths with me), got "pink eye" and it was confirmed by an opthamologist that it was from a virus in his eye and he was prescribed anti-viral eye drops. It turns out that my new boyfriend said that he had Mono in high school, that he had gotten that same sore in the back of his gum four times in the past ten years, which always went away within 2 days, so, its possible my new infection overwhelmed his antibodies for EBV and he was mildly sick. I would say he gave me EBV, except for his sore developed a day later and my travel friend's virus in his eye. My body had a very difficult time with EBV in the beginning, I was sick with various phases (red dots in cheeks did not appear until week 2 and i got a strawberry tongue and lots of fordyce spots on my lips and swelling/inflammation on mucosal surfaces down there), and I beleive if I did not take the anti-virals, it would have been much worse. Especially since I did not have anti-viral eye drops, I was lucky to have no damage to my corneas (confirmed by an opthamologist when I returned to the states).

I returned to the states 3 weeks after I became very sick. My eyes were better, I had less of a fever, was able to walk around, and at that point still had reocuring red spots in my cheeks and a strawberry tongue, and a bumpy, but less sore throat. I was apparently still contagious when I arrived at my Mom's. I was infected with EBV end of February 2012, I returned to the US end of March 2012. After going to several doctors who misdiagnosed my symptoms (one thought it might be HSV-2 of the mouth, one shingles of the throat or strep, one said the red spots in my cheeks which came back were from taking antibiotics, one said the inflammation around my mouth was a toothpaste allergy, the dentist assistant said the butterfly rash on my cheeks was lupus), all the blood tests, HSV, shingles and strep tests turned up negative. I was able to research and go to a walk-in clinic with the EBV, ANA and CMV tests requested and it was EBV.

I write this one year to the date of returning to the US. My Mom now has Chronic EBV. I have Chronic EBV. I have intense knee pain when I wake up sometimes. I have pain in the back of my leg as if I were injured. The nerves in my face throb at night every so often, like a rock band and my eyes rumble/tremble/water, which warns me about my low immune system and that I will start to battle again with reoccuring cystic acne on my face, neck and chest (that I never had before). My cheeks especially get visibly inflammed then follow with dry patches. I now have resident fordyce spots all over my lips and inside my cheeks (the ones on my lips can improve if I brush them with a toothbrush). Note: antiviral cream (pick up in foreign countries cheaply and without prescription) releives the inflammation in my face and resultant acne overnight. My upper lip has remained constantly inflamed for a year, but I don't complain, as it looks nice, haha. If I even think about something stressful my lips blow up even more, sometimes getting red patches around them. I did resort to anti-viral pills a few times during the year when I felt overwhelmed. I do like sugar, and I need to reduce it anyway so I do not become diabetic. When I eat more alkaline and have lemon in my water it helps my allergies to this virus in my skin, but its a constant battle. I now tend to think kids with bad acne have EBV stimulating their subaceous glands and when people say they break out from chocolate (I never did before but now any sugar does it), that its really their immunity being lowered by the sugar in the chocolate and the EBV becoming active. What bothers me the most is the general mailase. Rarely, I get some inflammation down there (not tied to anything other than my immune system). I am just happy to know that its EBV. I hope to be rid of this Chronic EBV. Hopefully it will lessen over time. I hope some of this helps. As I said, I'm not a doctor and don't pretend to be one. If you have inflammation down there, get it checked out, but keep in mind, its possible that in the end, its EBV.

I went though the same thing, in Baltimore when i was 9year old, the doctor told my mother i had herpes, How we ask i'm not having sex. so how did i get this, the doctor went in the hall and yell this to my mother with every one listening to him,   someone mother heard him a told their kid the next day in school the kids was calling me dirty and saying they can't play with me, as time went on i stop going to school,  i never had this i was misdiagnosed, OK who's going to give me them year i did not go to school because  of a doctor that don't know what he's doing, My life change because  of this doctor, and he still out there working on us  

There is a cure for it.i advise u to go on amazon and type in cure for herpies.

Epstein Barr Virus causes periodic irritations like this, its often misdiagnosed as Herpes 1 or 2. Also EBV causes Fordyce spots (pimple like bumps in areas without pores, like genitals). Test for EBV antibody, long and short term. U will likely test positive. Its technically a class of non ulcer herpes (because its an inflammatory skin disease), but no ulcers and no virus seeps out of skin. EBV hyperstimulates the nerves when immunity is low, some peoples bodies respond to that with histamine (allergic reaction), as in, hives on the face and neck when giving a public speech. An estimate 95% of people have Epstein Barr. When Epstein Barr is mostly contracted is in high school, not many react to the antibody forming, those that had a hard time with the antibody, had flu like symptoms bad, for a month, when that happens its called mononucleosis. Many of the rest of us got it by transmission in the air, without knowing it or falling sick. EBV is contagious the first 6-8 weeks, then only if a person gets a bought of flu again once or so in a lifetime, if at all. Exception is 1% of people with EBV get it back periodically (once in 4 years, once every 10 years, rarely more often), and during this time, are contagious. Its believed these 1% of reoccuring EBV adults are the ones that infect the 5% of adults who do not have it. Hallmark of being contagious is little red dots inside cheeks that move location every 12 hours, or a canker like sore on the gums, usually in the back. EBV can be passed thru kissing and also thru the air (upper respiratory) usually in a steam room, hookah bar or humid place. While someone can have allergic reactions to EBV often when immunity low, they are not contagious to others during their reactions (even the skin inflammation). EBV is technically a class of herpes because it is an inflammatory skin disease. It is responsible for deep cystic acne (from hyperstimulation of subaceous glands) and joint pain. Antiviral cream on the skin can relieve acne, antiviral pills for 3-5 days can relieve joint pain until you get your immunity back up (lemon juice, vinegar, exercise, sleep).

You don't seem to like her much.

unless you know someone their entire ife and watch them 24/7, you CANT know if they have had sex with someone else. Taking someone's word for it is risky--esp. after knowing them only 3 months.Some people wont tel you the truth because they are ashamed. Some because they dont care. Some may not even realize what they have.
Life is a crapshoot.

Hi janey83
I too was misdiagnosed for genital herpes at quest diagnostics 4 yrs ago because of complications from a vaginal strep infection, just a few weeks ago i decided to get tested again with the igg AB test and it came back

You were misdiagnosed with genital herpes?? Please share with me I'm going through the same thing.

I am going through something similar, I went to the doctor and got a blood test and I was told that I was HSV 2 positive, I was like the hell you say. He was crazy because the doctor made it seem like it was no big deal 1 out of 6 ppl get it. My thing is, herpes is herpes, so trying to convince me that one os not worst than the other one, would not cut it for me. The crazy part about it is I have not had any outbreaks and no symptoms periods. I am not a quitter I believe in testing and resting until things become accurate. My mother told me to do another one because a lot of ppl get misdiagnosed. One thing too I learned that can miss your testing up in taking certain medications before taking a STD testing. So ladies do not give up. Have faith, pray and if your results are not what they say they are, just know this is a wake up call and a warning. Love the life you live and live the life you love.

Thank You for ur message !

O boy, thought I’d never be one to be on a forum spilling my heart out but if it helps someone, Ok. Back in 2011 lived in a small community. Was dating two men. One who was an obsessived friend (didn’t accept that I just wanted to be friends) and the other was someone I was interested in. Once the friend found out that I was interested in someone else he insisted that I go get check for herpes (I did have some drunken sex with him but we used protection). He was also going to the same clinic that I was (small town). Because he kept insisting that I go (I’ve never had an outbreak), I thought I would to prove him wrong and be safe for the new relationship I wanted to presue. Went to the dr and asked for a blood test. Had had no outbreak or reason to be tested other than a routine check up because I was going into a new relationship. I get cold sores, so I knew I had herpes type I. I was diagnosed as having both from the blood test. Mortified, I broke the news to my new partner who was upset at the time; I eventually married him. As for my friend he took a picture of my medication bottle and made a fake profile that look like mine. Friended 50 people who were local Acquaintances to get even with me for not dating him and let the Facebook world know that me and my new boyfriend had herpes. I now felt stuck in the relationship and became a depressed hermit for an entire year. For the next 7 years I lived with the miss diagnosis of blood testing positive. Was told then it was Accurate despite my husband always testing negative and neither one of us ever having a breakout for the last seven years. I moved out of state with a new dr and requested to be tested. She asked if I ever had cold sores, Yes. “Then the blood test is not an accurate method of testing.” WAIT, what??? She said that the blood test test for antibodies for herpes and can’t tell the difference between type I and type II. So we would need to wait for an out break and swab. Every time I had s yeast infection or some other rash (heat, or reaction due to soaps etc) I’m very sensitive and anything that throws my pH gives me rash symptoms. I’ve been swabbed 3 times in the course of one year. All negative. I don’t care what dr say. If you have had cold sores your entire life or even if they are dormit, aka Asymptomatic, then you can get a false positive. There is only one test that test the difference between type one and type two...it’s at a medical university in Washington still being developed. All the other blood test in dr cannot tell the difference between type one or two. So if you have had a positive blood test, and have had cold sores, always always go get a swab done on any sore present. I’m herpes free and was misdiagnosed based on testing that shouldn’t even be used for those who suffer from herpes 1