I am 25. Ever since I was 12 I have had increasingly over-sensitive nipples. not only do I NOT enjoy being touched in that area by itself, but I cannot wear anything w/o a bra and any kind of movement of anything at all over my nipples really makes me uncomfortable. I hav gone to doctors and gone for hormone testing and they have all said I'm fine. I cannot imagine having a relationship if I can never be comfortable naked or being felt up, and I don't want to have to dread this for the rest of my life. If anyone has any kind of solution for me, please help. It would be so greatly appreciated. :-(

I was stunned to discover this post. I have searched the topic of hypersensitive nipples many times and all I find are references to breast augmentation. I have thought that this problem cannot only be a side effect of a surgical procedure. However, I have come to the conclusion that it must be rare. That said, your description is exactly what I experience. If something such as clothing brushes against my nipples, I feel an extremely unpleasant sensation. This sensation , to me, is worse than pain. I too have to wear a bra with everything and a heavily padded one at that. I once submitted an inquiry via an online form to a cosmetic surgery center to find out if there is a procedure (other than augmentation) than can alleviate the hypersensitivity and they were "weird" about it. They emailed me info about augmentation. I am more than a couple of decades old and have lived with this problem for so long. I hope someone responds to this topic with an explanation and possible medical solution.

I never thought I would find people that felt the same way I did...I can identify with this post so much! It is a terrible feeling that I fear I will have to live with. I always have felt jealous of women that could go without wearing bras and feel comfortable with their breasts...the feeling is so uncomfortable that I almost feel ashamed of my breasts completely. It is such a horrible task even trying to clean the area. Anyone that reads these posts and has some type of explanation/solution to this problem please help.

I also have the same problem. I am 41 but my breasts have been this way since before I even had breasts! I remember being about 11 years old and I had a crazy itch on one nipple, yet I could not bring myself to scratch it bc touching my own nipple was so uncomfortable to me. I have been with my husband since I was 23 but I have never enjoyed him touching me there...I know he enjoys it though so I have to put my hand over his and push down while he is touching my breasts. I have always felt ashamed that I have some kind problem, but I have never heard any other woman complain about this, so I figured I was alone in this. Going in for a pap smear and breast exam is awful and I have to spend a couple years working up the courage to do it. How do you other women deal with that? I really dread it. I have had no trauma in my life and I enjoy sex...just not this one thing. I also have to wear a bra at all times. Also, have any of you had children and breastfed? It was excruciatingly painful for me - the pain never went away like it does with other women. It felt like stabbing knives each time I nursed my babies. I had to brace myself for it each time. Also, with both kids I had an extremely low milk supply even though I did every single thing the lactation consultant said to do...for months. I can't help but think these things may be related. Also, I had someone mention to me that they also had low breast milk supply and their doctor diagnosed them as having a low number of milk ducts. There is a name for it, but I cannot remember what it is now. Perhaps this nerve sensitivity is related to this.

I am 60 years old. I, like the original poster of this topic, have had nipple pain since I was about 12. I had breast augmentation over 30 years ago & was told the surgery could completely destroy nipple sensation. Maybe that would have been a blessing but instead it worsened. I have been to several doctors, including naturopaths & menopause specialists. Mammograms & ultrasounds have been normal. I've had acupuncture, various massages including lymphatic drainage, used homeopathics, creams of various types, hormone balancing herbs...you name it! Nothing helps. I gave up caffeine completely about a month ago & that has helped the peripheral breast tenderness but no help for the nipples. I feel your pain. Sex is out of the question during the worst times & it's rare that I can tolerate that kind of stimulation at all. I think it's something to do with hormones since it started about the time of puberty but no one seems to be able to help me get to the bottom of how to balance those out. I feel for you. Just keep trying to find answers.

Have same problem. Want to cut them off! Had all my life. Even through 4 layers of pasties and moleskin i can still feel them. Im getting real sick of it. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated

I am now trying various essential oils. My gynecologist who practices Functional medicine has also concocted some new bio-identical hormone drops that at least don't make it worse but so far also no improvement. I've been to a psychiatrist since there are some studies that show it's linked to sexual abuse that you've stuffed deep in your memory.Nothing came up there! Also in my hat to work with is EFT, otherwise known as "tapping." Where there is a will there is a way by golly so let's keep at it!

Wow! Me too. They are not painful but make me feel really horrible when they are touched - by ANYTHING! It actually makes me feel sick. The closest way I can think of describing the sensation is kind of like when you knock your funny bone but not pain full. It is horrible! I can'tlet the water in the shower touch them let alone clothes and my boyfriend just knows to avoid them. It puts me off sex as I am scrared they will be knocked by accident. I was late developing boobs but my nipples were sensitive by the time I was about 10. It has gradually become worse as I have got older. I am now 36. I have 2 children and pregnancy didn't change things. Breast feeding was extremely painful and I was advised by midwives, Drs and lactation consultants to stop. I breast Fed until 6 weeks before I gave up because I felt so guilty. By the time I stopped my milk was actually red with blood when I expressed. Not good! I hate the feeling of my nipples being touched, not because it is painful but because it just feels really disgusting. I wish there was some way of removing the nerves that go to them!

I have the same issue, they are so sensative that any sensation causes a sickening feeling. I get fed up with all the "just stimulate them and they'll desensitize", maybe for some people that's true but not me. I had them pierced hoping that would help (I still don't know how I made it through that) but it did nothing and I eventually had to take the rings out. While I was pregnant I tried frequent stimulation in hopes that it would make me able to breast feed but in the end I couldn't handle it. And the thing is I don't want to learn to enjoy the sensativity or spend any more time making myself uncomfortable while trying to convince my neve endings to chill out. There has to be some precedure that could be done to lessen or even kill sensation. I would rather not feel anything there at all. I have definitely fanticised about cutting them off as well.

So here is an interesting observation...I have not had this problem my whole life but have had severe Polycystic Ovary syndrome until recently where I finally tried the Minera and although that has been the perfect antidote for the POS I am now experiencing painful sensitivity in my breasts....so this being said. My POS was always blamed on an Estrogen dominance in my system saying I had too much of it so my body was constantly and continuously building instead of breaking down normally...Since the Mirena I think that my strogen levels have also decreased and now my body is responding to that lesser amount (an amount it got use to for the last 20 years)...I don't know just an idea but has anyone tried boosting their Estrogen levels?

Just curious if anyone has ever found a solution. I have been struggling with this exact thing for 20 years and have never found anyone with the same problem. I have been to doctor after doctor trying to solve it. But nothing has helped. A few years ago I was working with a doctor, who undersood what I had been going through and everything I had tried and she finally said to me, "You may think I am crazy, but since you are done having children, you don't really need them anymore, why don't you just remove them." I thought are you crazy lady. But then I went home and I thought, yeah, actually I would do anything to have them just gone. I am so sick of feeling this way. It has made so much of my life miserable and made intimacy with my husband extrememly difficult, especially since I also suffer with vulvodynia (constant pain down below). I just want some relief. I finally decided to go through with it, but no surgeon will do it for me. Finally I talked to a breast surgeon that said we could remove the nipples and reattach them, severing all the surrounding nerves. The only thing is there would be a good possibility that the nipple would eventually die and basically rot off. And it could also cause "phantom" nerve pain, which at times is worse than the original pain. I was so ready to just have the surgery done, but am now scared to do it. But I am so desparate for relief. That's how I found this forum. I was just searching for any answers. Unfortunately, there are no answers, but atleast I know I am not alone. Each one of you explain exactly how I feel. So, has anyone after all this time found anything that helped?

Have any of you had any success finding answers. I experience the same exact thing and am desperate for relief.

Just wanted to say thank you to each and every one of you who have posted here.  Although there doesn't seem to be a wealth of info on the solution, it truly does help to know that I am not the only one with this issue.  I, too, understand all too well what has been mentioned here.  I will also keep looking for remedies and I encourage those who stumble upon this forum to post as well.  Knowing that there is a community of us searching has helped so much. 

Implants was my solution. ;-)

Could you share a little bit more of your situation? I have been struggling with this for 12 years. And am actually having an augmentation next week with at nipple reduction hoping that it will help. My doctor said that if he sees the nerves that lead to the nipple which he would typically preserve them, however, he said in my case he would cut them if I wanted him too. I'm not sure I should have that done or not b/c it could also lead to complications. Did you have anything special done when you got yours done? Was it just a typical augmentation? How long did you have nipple sensitivity before? and how did your augmentation help? did your nipples go numb or did you get normal sensation back? Thank you for any feedback.