Hi everyone! I had the same thing happen to me that you guys describe. I had really bad pain in the bridge of my nose, felt like somebody punched me. It was also red and swollen. It just came all of a sudden out of nowhere and progressively got worse. I read some stuff about it on-line and went to see a doctor. It's an infection and it's called nasal cellulitis. It has to be treated with an antibiotic, otherwise it won't go away. I don't mean to freak you out or anything, but if left untreated, it can spread to your brain, and you wouldn't want that to happen. The doctor asked me if I squeezed any zits on my nose lately. I couldn't remember anything like that, but than I realized that a few days earlier I did try to get this blackhead out of my nose. I squeezed pretty hard and I broke the skin. Well, that's how the infection started. Anyway, don't panic and make an appointment with a nose, ear & throat specialist, and get it taken care of. The infection will start to clear up pretty quick and you'll be fine. Good luck to you all!

Wow my doctor didnt know what it was but the med he put me on, Clindamyacin, I didnt tolerate well so now I just got some Cephalexin. I am afraid of the side affects though so I havent started taking it. Mine isnt worse but it isnt better either. So when did you have this? I see you are in Rockford. I am 40 miles from Rockford. Do you remember what medicine you had? Hope to hear back from you. I saw an ear nose and throat specialist and dont know why he didnt know what it was. I have no breakouts on my nose though just a small little swollen patch on left side half way up my nose. Was yours like that? It actually looks like a slightly bulging vein. I have no fever, feel good...I wonder if mine is not nasal celluitis. In any event, email back if you can and thanks for a reply.

I have the same thing going on, only my nose is not red on the outside. Just swollen and feels like I've been punched in the nose. I did go to my Dr today and he diagnosed me with Relapsing Polychondritis. It is an autoimmune disease that affects parts of the body that contain cartilage. I am still going to have a CT of the nose and sinuses tomorrow. I hope this helps others.

I think it has to do with sinus, because i always get it for a few weeks this time a year, then it goes away ?

My infection has now lasted 2 weeks.... Started with a slight sore spot on the right side of my nose. 2 days later that side was swollen and pink and then I began to get nauseated. I went to the doctor when a colleague of fine showed me her blackened leg where she had once had cellulitis. He said that it was cellulitis - probably stemmed from a sinus infection because I didn't have any sores or cuts. They put me on an antibiotic Bactim and gave me a steroid shot. He also told me that if I ran any fever to go straight to the ER because it could have gotten into my blood stream. My condition improved until 4 days later I woke up and the right hand side AND the bridge of my nose was swollen with enormous pressure behind my eyes. I looked up cellulitis on the net and found out that it can cause blindness if it reaches the eye and can also cause menengitis. So, I went back to the doctor. They put me on another antibiotic on top of the Bactin - I can't remember the name of it but it is a bright blue pill that you take 4 times a day, and another steroid shot. That was a week ago. My condition got better until yesterday when I noticed the LEFT side of my nose swelling and getting sore. So, I am trying to decide whether to go back to the regular doctor since I am almost out of antibiotics (1 more day) or just head to the ER.

I developed the same symptoms about a week ago. My nose started to hurt and I hand a small sore at the tip of my nose that I treated with neosporin and it went away. The next thing I know, the bridge of my nose is tender to the touch, red and swollen. I went to the DR. today and she did way that my nose was a little red inside, but nothing drastic. She said she had no idea what it was, but also indicated that it was not cellulits. She gave me a precription for CEPHALEXIN Antibiotic. Hoping that this knocks it out. For pain Advil works very well.

I had the exact same problem. My solution was ibuprofen and I also applied Neosporin in the swollen area. It worked perfectly.

Had the same symptoms. Suddenly painful cartilage on one side of bridge of nose.
GP/Dermatologist diagnosed cellulitis and prescribed Augmentin.
Said it can be dangerous if neglected.
He's a doc who is usually anti-antibiotics :-)

Sinusitis often clears up by itself, and about two thirds of those who get the condition do not need to see their GP.

On average, sinusitis takes about two-and-a-half weeks to clear.

Over-the-counter painkillers and decongestants can be used to relieve facial pain and a blocked nose. Antibiotics are unlikely to help unless the sinusitis becomes chronic (persistent).

I woke up one morning with a red, swollen nose. I felt like I had been hit in the bridge of my nose with a baseball bat. After going to the doctor and being referred to an opthamologist (thought it could be shingles? weird) the opthamologist told me it was not shingles and he would tread me with a z pack for a sinus infection! After 24 hours, the swelling started to go down and sure enough, I had some sinus drainage. After 48 hours, the redness, soreness and swelling was going down and I felt almost back to normal!

Did you ever find out why?

I had the same symptom yesterday, only noticed when I took a picture of myself from the side and wondered why my nose had a bump on it on the bridge. As someone else said, I have a Roman nose now. Unacceptable:( Then upon touching it, it's tender, hurts for my glasses to sit on top. Was wondering at first if this is what caused the problem, but now I don't think so.

Could be rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus or other auto-immune disorder. Apparently, just as the joints in fingers, elbows knees etc, swell, so can the nose cartilidge often accompanied by eye irritation.

The bridge of my nose is so red and painful I can barely touch it.  My profile has changed; I now have a bump on my nose.  Any idea what this is??

Did your nose swelling go away?

Didn't realize my problem with swollen, hurting nose.:-| Mine is at the very top of the bridge. It's balck/blue around that area, over the top of inside of eye and down the sides of my nose. I too thought it to be sinus @ first as I have many sinus infections. However, never one to this extent. My eyes hurt, wearing my glasses is impossible except for moments @ a time and they really hurt. Wish a Dr would join in this question/answer thing and give some good advise;-)

I had the same symptoms and went to get checked out and it can either be A. Staph infection of the nose or B. Celluitis of the nose which are both infections that need medical attention. The only way to get rid of either one is to take strong antibiotics.