Can you recommend a good one? I bought 2 and they don't seem to work. They were under $5, and I am sure thats why

I am willing to spend much more if I know I am going to get a good one. Thank you.

Lauren

Health Guru

The one I use is made by omron, you program it with your height weight and stride and once set up it gives you how many km you walk how many steps you take kcal burnt and how many grams of fat burnt and I would say it's around 99% accurate, Google omron healthcare and check out there website.

The more you pay for one the better they work. You could always buy from amazon or eBay where you would probably get the same product cheaper than in a high street shop. 

Hope this helps you decided :)

I had one, cost about 20 bucks. Wasn't very accurate. Started using the car as basis for measurement. Then I invested in a GPS watch

I did too. The battery wore out, and the store we bought it at doesn't change them. Neither do most jewelry stores.

We now use the link Pug referred to - we've got it as one of our favorites - LC fixed it so our area is where it opens up, not Manhattan.

I used an Omron that worked pretty well. I had to calibrate it on a couple of runs in which I knew the mileage. You can tweak the stride length and a +/- toggle and eventually I had it calibrated for running and for walking.

I agree with Pug. Map out some runs, and then get the mileage for those.

It is very easy to change the battery, I am assuming you use the Timex? Pop the back off, you can buy the battery at radio shack, replace it and pop the back on, it will take you 5 minutes, a trip to the store and $2.50. PM me if you need help.