I noticed that every time I fly, I come on my period. I start cramping while in the air, once the plane lands my period starts 1-2 days later. exp: I came on my period dec 6th and went off dec 10th which is normal. I flew from Phx to Det on Dec 25th had cramps duing the flight (s) switched planes. and I came on Dec 27th til Jan 3rd. I noticed this happening before no matter when I have my cycle, if I get in an airplane and fly...I have another one 2-3 days later. Its Jan 12th and I am cramping again. Is this normal?

I really would like some feed back.

:-| Try talking to your doctor about this

I have the same thing, everytime I get on a plane I get my period the next day except I think it depends on the stage of my cycle to some degree because i just went to Morocco on holiday a couple of weeks ago. When I got on the plane to go there I still had about a week to go before my period was due but the next day after the flight I came on. I was only there for 10 days though, so after my flight back I didnt get my period again, I did notice other types of changes though in discharge etc.

I get the exact same thing. I travel to England quite often from ireland and I get my period a couple of hours after the plane lands. It doesnt matter what stage I am at in my cycle.  The strange thing is that I never get it after flying back home.  I would like to find out why this happens to a minority of women

That's easy. It's because all airplanes are shes.

Everyone knows that females tend to synchronize their periods when they live together.:-)

I am perimenopausal and only have periods every 6 months or so now.  EVERY time I fly I get menstrual bleeding, very light, within a day or two.  Very strange, but it happens EVERY time

I fly between Perth & Sydney twice a year which is a 5hr flight and have never had this problem. Howeve I have just retuned to Perth from NY and Toronto. On my way to New York I actually got my period mid flights and it lasted for a whole week despite being a week early and me being on birth control I was very confused and worried as to why this was happening. When I returned 2 weeks later I again 8hrs into my 33hrs of flying got my period, however this time it only lasted 48hrs. I am confused as to how this can happen?

I know that flying between time zones affects your hormones.  It has a great affect on melatonin, which affects other hormones.  It is also stressful to travel or fly and positive or negative stress can also affect hormone levels.  It could also have different affects depending on the direction in time zones that you are flying, I think, since I've just noticed that when I flew east between countries last year my period started right away and lasted around a week, and this time flying in the same direction my period was around a week late (but flying in the opposite direction didn't seem to affect it).  But I've also had a lot of stress lately so I think for me it is related to the flying on top of the stress. 

This is certainly interesting. I don't see how time zones should have anything to do with it. Time zones weren't designed by nature they were created due to the railroads need for a standardized time. The railroads were the first means of transportation that moved east or west fast enough to be affected by the varying sun times. Before the railroads every town or district had their own time based on the sun.

When you travel through several time zones your body's internal clock will be out of sync with sun time and it takes time to adjust but that's only a few hours not enough to make your period noticeably early or late.

I surely like to know how that affects periods. Does any one have a scientific explaination?

I am so interested that other people have this as I thought I must be the only one.  I am 56 years old and go long stretches of time between periods-up to 9 months, but as soon as I fly anywhere I am sure to get my period within a day.  Has anyone received medical advice for this that is beneficial?

I wonder if it has anything to do with the lower air pressure as you gain altitude?

I thought I was the only person too!! Can't seem to find any medical advice. This started happening to me at around 17. Not just long hall but some short flights too. Anywhere in my cycle always the way out but not so much home. My usual periods would last about 3 days but I could bleed mid flight and it would last up to a week. I'm currently 23 weeks pregnant and would have loved to have gone on babymoon but just can't risk it. My mirdwife seems to dismiss my worries. :(

I also thought i was alone on this!!! None of the friends i asked have it. Its really frustrating for me as i can never enjoy my holidays, every time i land sonewhere my period comes the next day, no matter what day of the cycle! Does anyone know ways to prevent this? :)

I just Googled because this has happened to me today. It is Sunday and I did an eight-hour flight on Thursday. My period only finished last weekend, so how on earth can I be bleeding again? And damn it, I am finding it difficult to get the supplies I need because I am working :-(