Had open surgery under local anasthaetic with mesh repair left side inguinal on 25 Jan. Walked out after surgery and was driven home, slept well that and subsequent nights and I sleep half face down on left side so dressing is underneath me. Hardly any pain at all, just a bit stiff with occasional tugging. 27 Jan walked 1/2 mile (and back) to local surgery for dressing change and to have the knot at the end of the under skin stitches cut away, but stitches untouched. Was armed with Voltaren suppositories, 500mg paracetamol and 50mg Diclofenic sodium tablets to take at given stages. Sat 28 and Sun 29 Jan did a little driving. Only downside is massive dark bruising that looks like I am wearing bruise coloured shorts and some swelling but was pre-advised of this. No problems with bowl movements or urinating at all. During op surgeon came across stitches from old hernia op of many years ago that entailed quite a bit of work before current hernia could be repaired. Treated at UK NHS clinic that could easily be regarded as a private practice given the pre-op advice, surgery itself and follow-up phone call to me day after the op.
As others have said, we all react differently but I am amazed at the lack of problems folowing this procedure.

Did you have any scars leftover after?

davidhb wrote:

I had laproscopic hernia repair on 21 September. It was considered out patient but because of age (80) I was kept overnight. Doctor advised on 22 September surgery was successful and mesh placed in place. No problems the first week and the area where the hernia was spotted was not flat. However, after the first week the knot started to reappear. No pain and no problems with bodily functions. Knot continues to reappear. Should I be worried.