For the past four months I have been bleeding from my rectum only during my period. I had a colonoscopy two months ago and they said that there was nothing abnormal. Why is it that I only bleed there during menstruation? Is it anything to worry about?

You may have a type of endometriosis called recto-vaginal endometriosis. It doesn't seem to be that common but I am having a laparoscopy to check for it as I have the same symptoms.

hi, i am 25 years old and have no children, i have been bleeding from rectum for last 1.5 yearsnow, but only the days i have my period, usually 5-7 days. my GP said nothing to worry about as it only append when i have my period. it is uncomfortable and i fing that i am always tired and have black eye rings as my iron level is low as i am loosing so much blood. anyone help?

I have recently learned that my sister, in Australia, has this same problem. She, too, has started down the long path of doctors, specialists, colonoscopy, etc. So far all of this has excluded cancer and endometriosis but not found anything else.

However, just last week she was talking to a doctor at the hospital where Mum was operated on for bowel cancer and she asked him about her own problem. His answer sounds very logical so we would like to share it with all you women who are in the same boat.

The doctor explained that my sister no doubt has some extremely tiny hemorrhoids which normally do not bleed or give her any trouble. However, just before her menstrual period begins, the changes in hormone levels cause the veins in the colon to swell enormously. Since my sister suffers from constipation the result is bleeding from these hemorrhoids. Once her period is over, the hemorrhoids return to their normal size and the bleeding stops – until the following month.

For the past few months, to help her constipation and irritable bowel, she has been taking psyllium husks. The result is that the stools are much softer. An additional, unexpected result has been the absence of rectal bleeding during her period!

So the doctor’s explanation certainly seems to make sense. My sister asked me to share her experience hoping it may be of help to some of you.

I am also in Australia, and I have had this problem for about 1 1/2 years now. I have had a colonoscopy and laporoscopy with no results. I have a couple of small hemorrhoids as well.

I recently had another colonoscopy where my doctor found a polyp which he removed and I found out today that if it was left in me it would have become cancerous in about 3 years.

My doctor does not think the polyp or the hemorrhoids are causing the bleeding. He is baffled as to why it is happening. Next will be an MRI of my pelvis to see if he can find anything.

hi, i also have the same problem and i had rectal bleeding during menstruation for 11 years. i had this since i was 9 years old. i think what caused this was an accident that happened back then. i had a bad fall and after that, when i had my 1st menstruation (9 yrs old), i had rectal bleeding.

i never had any tests and im really scared to tell this to my family or see a doctor. this is the first time i talked about this. i was just happy that i found this forum.

Guest wrote:

My guess is that you aren't really bleeding, but that when you wipe, blood is getting on the tissue before it reaches your rectum, and then it looks like the blood came from there.

Try wiping ONLY the rectum (with no tampon string around and no residue around having only been wearing a pad). My guess is that you're fine.

Wrong, rectal bleeding during menses can be a sign of endometriosis. Unfortunately, the only way to really diagnose endometriosis is through surgery. It is done laproscopically but, any surgery is still a risk. I would have a discussion with your GYN and have them evaluate you. Try keeping a diary of symptoms that you experience during menstruation so that you can paint a clear picture to your GYN during evaluation. Good luck and all the best from a rectal bleeding endometriosis sufferer

Hi, I am Australian too. 43 years of age. I have just recently been bleeding from my recturm during my last 2 periods. I am about to have a colonoscopy next week. I also have a very heavy feeling and sometimes bulging on my right sight of my vagina that also reaches to my rectum aswell. I am thinking that I may have a prolapse. I will get this investigated.

Ever since my first child was born (16 years ago) I have had "problems"with my right side of my vagina. I have joked about it over over the years and managed the pain (which was normally during my periods). My first born delivery was long and difficult as he was stuck .. deep transverse, transposed. I delivered him vaginally, with a large episiotomy and Kellard (sp?) forceps. I really believe damage was done then, and now as I am older and have had 3 more deliveries (vaginally) it's all caught up with me, and now with the rectal bleeding I am forced to finally get something done.

I have suffered with internal hemerroids and varicose veins in the vagina during subsequent pregnancies. I am feeling scared, but relieved I am finally getting myself sorted.

Will keep you posted as maybe someone else is going through what I am and have been.

Aussie here as well. I have had Endometriosis diagnosed when I had a laparoscopy about 17 years ago now. I had a few cysts removed at the time. I am 46 years now. Last year (start of 2008) I had rectal bleeding with my periods along with a really painful and bloated abdomen. I could have had rectal bleeding in the past but I didn't pick it up because I used to have heavier periods. Now I have a very light flow. It has been occurring ever since the rectal bleeding with my periods. As I have a history of haemorrhoids my doctor and I have thought at first it was just that but it kept happening and I had really bad pains with it that were more than I usually got before with my periods plus my abdomen really got very swollen and the pain. Any way I went back to the doctor and asked for further examinations, I had Ultrasounds, MRI, Xrays and other tests. No diagnosis. As it came with my periods I asked to be sent to a Gyno. My old one had retired so I had to see someone new. They are hard to find and many have closed their books to new patients. Eventually i found some on in my area and had a pelvic examination, pap smear test and the Gyno examined my test results from all my scans and my xrays etc. I told him about my bowel problems occurring with my periods and if they could be related....... well I almost lost it when this pompus id**t proceeded to tell me it couldn't be related, I obviously had Irritable Bowel syndrome and had to see a Colon Specialist and it had nothing to do with my periods. Oh and he told me that I didn't seem to have Endometriosis (even though I had my old tests from my previous Gyno and his diagnosis letter that he sent to my family doctor). Some doctors (not all I have great respect for those who are good) couldn't diagnose a cut finger. Anyway I didn't bother trying to find another Gyno as I was just wiped out with all this and I had it with all the test etc.. and no diganosis.

I am just so happy I finally got on the Internet and decided to search for my symptoms. Knowing I'm not the only one with this and finding medical articles listing bleeding from the rectum with periods can be experienced by those with Endometriosis was a HUGH Relief. Not sure if I will try again soon to get medical help with this but at least I know this is the probable cause. Next time I look for a new Gyno I will make sure they are also a Surgeon (this one wasn't a surgeon) I think that will make the difference in being properly diagnosed and having some chance of finding out what can be done in my case.

hey, i just want to say i have the same problem, i'm 19 and it started 2 months ago.
I went to the doctor who looked like he was about 12 and didn't seem to have any idea what he was doing, he asked if i was wiping properly and suffice to say i believe i have more experience with taking care of periods than he has, so i told him yes, i was. i know it's not just from my period because there is a seperate blood stain (only a couple of drops) on my pantyliners a small space from the blood from my period. I am really worried about this, i have really bad luck with health (having had my gall bladder removed earlier this year) and the doctor wasn't reassuring at all. He just told me to come back if it happened again, which i can't because it's now the middle of my Uni exams and I really don't have the time. I did get a digital rectal exam but he found nothing. I really dont know what to do and am getting really worried. I may wait until i get back home to go to my Gp there after the exams finish...
i'm really glad i'm not alone in this though.

I am 19 years old and I have had this experience twice now. Is it something I should be worried about?

Oh my goodness, I am not alone?

Back in November of 2009 I had my first Depo Provera shot and then a week later I had a colposcopy due to an adnormal pap smear. Tests results came back from the colposcopy and everything was a-okay. About 3 weeks later the hemorrhoids appeared, and I had a period that lasted for almost 4 weeks. In January I had my 2nd Depo Provera shot and thought that everything would maybe clear up? Nope. It's been almost non stop rectal bleeding and dark menstrual blood for over 2 months now.

It's so annoying, I mean I've been a "health hazard" on my parents since I've been 15 years old. Now at 20, it's not getting any better. I know I should go back to the doctor, but American health care is EXPENSIVE. I've already spent at least $800.00 since this whole thing started.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I'm 18 and I've been having just a little rectum bleeding during my period for a while now. At first I thought it was a just cut or dry skin, but then it kept happening again and again. I just bled a lot more than I ever have before, which scared me, so I decided to look it up and see if it was normal. Is there anything that I can do to stop it? I've got enough problems associated with my period already--migraines, horrible cramps, random crying, etc.

hi, im aussie ! and ive had this problem for about 4 or so periods now. At first i thought it was just because when i wiped, it picked up some period blood, but then i tested just wiping my bottom and there was some coming out of there, i was really concerned, so i talked to my mother and she said that its totally normal. She said that its just because the hormones in your body get changed around when you're on your period so that other body parts can get confused. im not sure if that really makes sense, but it is very re-assuring to know that you arent going to die or anything ! i guess the main thing is to keep your fibre levels up because you lose twice the amount of blood. Its extremely annoying though, because sometimes the blood misses the pad because it's so far back. but i guess us unlucky girls just have to put up with it. hope i helped ! xx

Hi, i have the same problem and would like to know what happened to those women who noticed it several years ago? Do you still have it or did you find out why you had it and cured it? Please reply and help us understand what is going on :(