what causes rectal bleeding in a female during her menstrual cycle? has anyone out there had this problem before, and if you have how was it diagnosed, and what did they do to discover your problem?

Hi, My name is Tina and I have had rectual bleeding during my menstrual cycles since 27 years old. I am 30 years old now. I have had two colonoscopys and have not found a cure as of yet. I'm so glad I'm not in this struggle alone. This only comes on during my menstrual cycle. The only thing the doctors keep telling me is that I need to lose weight. While I know that I could stand to lose a few pounds I know this is not the reason this is happening. I just need help...this is not normal, and It feels so uncomfortable. I was just reading online about Intestinal Endometriosos. I have been unable to get pregnant for years...so I'm thinking about looking into this Endometriosis. If you find out anything let me know. Do you have kids? I thought I was the only erson in the world with this issue. The Doctors look at me like...ok I see the blood, but I can't figure where it is coming from. They tell me I need to see an OBGYN...and the OBYN tells me I need to see a Doctor that deals with the colon. I'm so lost at this point. I figured I would try and do some research myself.That is how I cam to find you email online.

I have this same problem. I have looked up endometriosis and have talked to people that have had it. I have also talked to my doctor about it. The problem is that this disease is extremely hard to diagnosis. You could have this disorder for many years and never have a symptom. When you have had it so long it attaches to your intestinal walls, you can bleed through your bowels. The only way to even diagnosis endometriosis is to have surgery (laproscopic). I have not done this because I did not have insurance, but I will this month, and plan on getting the problem solved ASAP. I have 4 kids at age 27, having children at a small age is a major contributing factor to the disease. It can also cause infertility. I know what you mean by feeling unfomfortable, I havent had a regular period in years. I get about 1 week of normallcy, the other 3 weeks are spent getting ready for my period, because i bleed in my rectum a few days before i start, then I have a heavy period for a few days then it stops cold turckey for a day or two then another few days of a light period. I am so sick of this, it makes life hard, and cant wait for insurance to kick in so I can fix it. and dont get me started on the pain it causes. Talk about ruining a sex life. :-(

PS if your doctor tells you there is nothing wrong, get a second opinion some doctors do not believe endometrosis exists.

As well I too have been dealing with this. Yes they said it's the weight but that is always the diagnosis when you are big and they don't have real answers. I am not extremely obese. Even people i know who are don't have this problem. Yes it contributes but is not the cause. I had my last child 8 yrs ago. I have not been trying to get pregnant but it has not happened either. My husband and I just thought we were lucky at first. No Birth control. I always said God and I have a understanding but the truth is something is seriously wrong. I am fortunate not have the pain but hell with bleeding from both ends, it gets expensive changing so much. We all need to keep intouch until someone gets a realistic and verifiable answer.

I also have rectal bleeding only with my period for the past 11 cycles. This follows on the heals of a molar pregnancy. The OBGYN actually told me it may be coincidence. The first Gastro Dr. ( a man) suggested I may not be wiping properly! I've had my period for 30 years now and could not believe this guy. I did have a colonoscopy from another Doctor which only turned up 2 internal hemorroids. But this doen't seem to provide an answer because there is no bleeding at any other time and I have no other symptoms (no itching etc.) I would appreciate if you would post anything you learn. Thanks!

:? hi, i have experienced this now for 1.5 years. I am 25 years old, reletavily healthy married woman, no children. my GP says it is nothing to worry about. i only bleed through rectum when i have my period, as soon as i finish my cycle it stops!! i dont understand!! please helpCode:

I'm a 45-year-old woman with four kids overweight by about 40 pounds. Today begins the second cycle where I'm experiencing rectal bleeding with my menstrual bleeding. I have a colonoscopy scheduled for this Wednesday. I'm going to be evaluated for endometriosis by my OBGYN (a tip I received from this forum). I'll post when I have results.

I am 30 years old and experiencing the same issue. I only have the rectal bleeding the first couples of my cycle (heaviest flow). My OBGYN was stumped to my issue. He too asked if I was wiping correctly. What??? I had a full rectal and vaginal exam and no abnormalities. I have a Dr.'s appoint with a Gastrologist. Hopefull they can give me some answers.

I too am experiencing this "unusual" bleeding. I have for over 20 years now. Since I started having a period around age 9. And I know mine isn't from wiping. It is just as heavy as my vaginal bleeding (which is very heavy) and I have large blood clots (i know that's nasty). I have always had to wear 2 pads at a time. I don't think this is caused from extra weight because I have not always been overweight. I do have PCOS and have had irregular cycles my entire life. I can go up to an entire year on or off of my period. Birth control pills no longer regulate it. I now also have been diagnosed with hypertension and diabetes. Along with this I also have psoriasis (also since about age 9 or so). The psoriasis has now started causing arthritis. My doctor said that maybe I have psoriasis internally and it has suggested a colonoscopy. My dad had it internally as a teenager and spent 3 months in the hospital. I am just mentioning all of these things incase anyone else has any of these other issues. I have also always had severe migraines (anywhere from once every other month to several a week) these cause vomiting. I also get severe leg and feet cramps. My last gyno appointment the doc rescheduled because my legs wouldn't stop cramping during the exam. Blood work came back okay after she did a work up. I am relieved to know I am not the only one to go through the bleeding issue I just wish we all knew what causes it and how to stop it.

? I had my first (ocular) migraine this week while I was having this rectal bleeding with my period. Could this be a result of iron loss? Or perhaps fluid loss? Those of you with this condition, have you had your iron checked?

Thanks for any replies.

I have the same problem with the rectal bleeding, first I get a little constipated, then lots of rectal bleeding with severely intestinal cramping, it feels like some one is twisting a knife inside me, back pain, also usually migraines at beginning, then period. I had a colonoscopy 2 yrs ago and they found hemorrhoids. Also, have very severe vaginal bleeding. I think I have endometriosis but have still not been diagnosed. I am starting again to see if I can get a better diagnosis. Gastroenterologist I saw thinks it must be the hemorrhoids. I was supposed to have another colonoscopy today but think I will go to a different doctor b/c i'm convinced that if he finds hemorrhoids that will be his conclusion.-- he was a real arrogant ass! And he didn't tell me why it only occurs before/during my period. Either way I want it treated.

Hi about a yr. ago I noticed a clear mucus discharge on the toilet paper after doing #2. I have severe fatigue and nausea every other day. I have been experiencing light rectal bleeding but only during my period. I have been going crazy!! I read on a forum that a women from australia did alot of test for the same issue.All the dr.s could tell her was that she had tiny hemorrhoids and that when she was going to start her period her uterus would swell causing the hemorrhoids to bleed. I am going NUTS trying to figure out whats wrong.I am tired of worrying and think it may be endometrosis. My gyno wants to see me while on my period, I will post what he recommends i do. If someone has found out something pls let us know your update.

I too have had doctors (a female no less!) ask about wiping correctly and if I was sure the blood was from my rectum. I know my body. I also have had the clumping and large clots that Emily1771 mentioned having. My period was due this past week, and I have had it, but thru my rectum, the vaginal bleeding has been mostly nonexsistant, but the rectal bleeding has been a full blown period. I have had a colonscopy, they found minor hemorrhoids, but nothing else. What gives with these doctors and their ignorance, I had hoped to find some answers here but it seem all of you have had the same bull from the docs that I have had.

Jackie

I have the same problem. I bleed rectally with my cycle. It is extremely painful. I bleed a lot too. :-(

I have had a laparoscopy and a colonoscopy. They found nothing. I am not overweight. If anything I am underweight for my size. So it is definitely not a weight issue.

Nobody knows what is wrong with me. It can't just be nothing....
HELP!

Oh and the part about wiping - I was asked that one twice. I wear a tampon - so it majically seeps through the tampon and onto the toilet paper that I am wiping myself with. YES, sure thing! Half the doctors have no idea what they are talking about.

Kind regards,
Melissa

Hi ladies! i have rectal bleeding only during my period as well. I've been doing this for about 15 years i guess (i'm thirty-eight). I was diagnosed with stage 3 endo in 2004 & had lap surgery for the endo in 04 as well....my dr (Dr. Senervo, in Atlanta Ga was awesome!) also performed a sigmoidoscopy & concluded the rectal bleeding to be from internal hemorrhoids.

Recently i've become more concerned about the amount of blood coming from my rectum...and yeah, i've been asked before, "are you sure it's from your rectum?" Uhm, yeah! I think i would know! duh.

so anyways, i'm scheduled to see my fam dr in the morning to discuss my concerns for this ongoing issue. I've been reading, prob too much info online since the passing of Farrah Faucet & have myself all worked up & worried that, what if my hemorrhoids are turning cancerous or will eventually...i only have anal itching right before my period starts & bleeding only with my period. but for about 3 months i've been feeling just different in my bottom, not really pain just kinda uncomfortable i guess. So my hope is that it's just the endo but to what extent this time...? My Dr had to cauterize my sigmoid colon away from my pelvic wall just 5 years ago. So yeah, hopefully it's just endo & nothing else. the prep is HELL though, i wonder if having the hemorrhoids makes it all that much worse to prep! I'm so not looking forward to that but if i have to do that to have piece of mind & that i will have more days with my kids, then...no problem! :-)
best regards,
Sharon