Hi, My name is Scott...Does anyone else suffer from a severe, or moderate case of seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp? I am interested to know what has helped others with this terrible disease. I have suffered from severe flaking, hair loss, itching, and burning of my scalp for 5 long years and have been to 14 different doctros; dermatologists, Naturopathic doctors, homepaths over the past 5 years. I have tried so many different topical applications, steroids, shampoos, which only worsened the problem or offered a temporary "bandaid". Finally after trying just about everything, my latest Doctor introduced me to a very potent Vitamin/Mineral/Nutrient supplement called Vibe (by Eniva Corp.) that has helped me greatly. I am not fully healed yet, but getting there. Just wondering what else others are using successfully to treat scalp seborrhea..I haven't yet talked to anyone who has had success with anything topical to treat this disease.....Has anyone been healed by taking certain supplements..I have tried so many supplements (besides topical solutions) that did not work before being introduced to VIBE. I have realized after much research myself that this disease needs to be treated internally, healing from the inside out....Vibe has helped me so much that I even made my own website and posted my pictures of my scalp...check it out and let me know of any success stories you have had personally, if no success yet, TRY VIBE, I take 2 ounces a day personally.

**this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed **

God Bless
Scott

I have had same problems, Try to massage your scalp and any other areas in vasoline and wear a shower cap to bed. Wash , them apply any suggested creams.
Good luck

I was talking to a hairdresser who put me onto washing my hair with baking soda. I have seborrhoeic dermatitis, and this solution makes it bearable and decreases the amount of sores on my head quite a lot. It also gives huge relief immediately after washing.
Just mix an amount of baking soda (however much you need ) with shampoo, I usually add a few drops of water to make it lather better. Then apply to head all over and wait as long as you can bear before washing it out.
I use a ph-balanced shampoo (very important) called seba-med, because I find it causes the least discomfort, and mix about 2 parts shampoo to one part baking soda.
I also find massaging the scalp with a stone tool enormously helpful, because I find stress gives me knots on my head that I am sure contribute to the sores.

After a saga of itching, rashes, bleeding, and bumps, biopsies and topical steroids, like many of you, I was diagnosed with sebborheic dermatitis, eczema, and folliculitis. I will share some of the strategies that have worked for me in dealing with these conditions.

First and foremost, I apply Vaseline's cocoa butter all over, every day after the shower (and sometimes more). For those with sebborhheic dermatitis, I have even put this lotion behind and on my ears. I cannot express what a change this has made in my skin. I once used topical steriods and creams; not only were these treatments expensive and ineffective, but had scary side effects like stretch marks, discoloration, and papery skin! By contrast, cocoa butter is recommended to counteract stretch marks, scars, and discoloration. However, be sure to purchase a brand without mineral oil or lanolin, which are irritating.

If you itch in your sleep, like I once did, sleep in cotton gloves with vaseline on your hands. Not only will you be unable to scratch, but your hands' condition will improve.

If you use Neutrogena tar shampoo, don't use it every day. Furthermore, I have found that Head and Shoulders dry scalp conditioner is helpful, however, when used with their sebborheic dermatitis shampoo, my scalp became more irritated than before.
Currently, I use Dove shampoo and conditioner, and like another post suggested, I add about a tablespoon or two of baking soda. I actually had no idea that others had used this treatment for this condition, but had done it in the past to clarify my scalp of product. I have definately noticed an improvement! I also use water and baking soda on my face and skin as it is both a chemical and mechanical exfoliant.

Although I am a vegetarian and have refused to take fish oil in the past, out of desparation to get rid of my symptoms, I have been taking 4,000 mg of fish oil per day at the advice of a wellness professional. Supposedly, it can take up to six months to notice a change in one's scalp as a result of fish oil, but I seem to be flaring-up less.

Take your multivitamins every day!

I also bought a copper hairbrush at WalMart ($10), touted to kill dandruff-causing bacteria. I figured it couldn't hurt! I keep it nearby to brush my hair whenever I get the urge to attack it with my nails. Whether it kills bacteria or fungus effectively or not, it keeps the germs from my hands out of there!

I hope that these tips can be of use to you! Best wishes.

For everyone out there with seborrheic dermatitis , I have had it for years and have found out what really works , it is strict as far as eating but it well make your scalp feel cleaner than anything and yous skin look like gold. First of all don't listen to the doctors because as you I went and they give sulfer compunded creams and lotions etc that ultimately dont, work in the end and they tell you it isn't in the food you it but it is , and just to prove my point fast for a couple of days and see your skin clear up. But you don't have to do that , basically what causing it is food allergies,

do not eat aged cheeses , smoked anything, vinegar even in sauces , no citrus of any kind , mangoes oranges , grapefruit and most fruits and cooked fish , chicken , peppers of anykind, spagehetti squash , avaocadoes, coconuts .

Ok the things that are exceptal are beef , lamb, any kind of meat, turkey , eggs, vegetables, raw fish i.e sushi, ginger, milk although I am not an advocater of diary, grapes , pineapples, cherries, tomatotoes to name a few theres more

solutions for bathing , I no this sounds crazy but sea salt from new zeland it does not dry your skin like you think it would and this is your whole body including your scalp just put a bowl or a cup in the shower with you you in put in your hane and wash with it, and for your face do in the norning and at night it you dont take two showers a day. If you need a quicker fix use baking soda although I do not suggest using this for a long period of time , mix one table spoon in 8 ounces of water and wash with it if your do your whole body of course you will have to make two more 8ounces of, anyway if you eat from the suggested and do the sea salt you will be amazed , I have just done the research over the years and have tried everything and I mean everything under the sun and have found out what really is the problem something kept telling me that it was in the food I was eating and it was , you ever wonder why people when they go to the hospital and have been admitted for a while that there skin clears up it's because the diet has been changed up or they are not eating as much as they normally do , or when you get sick to your stomach ever wonder why your skin starts look better anyway I am telling do the above and thank me later

Hi i had the same problem and been to so many doctors, i ran across a shopkeeper who introduced me to a product called OCEAN 21 and since i have drank 2 bottles and every thing is just fine now.please look for it it works.you can check it out on the web

Help. I was diagnosed with seborrheic dermatitis around my nose, eyebrows and behind and inside my ears and was prescribed topical treatment. I woke up this morning and my skin was discolored everywhere where I applied this ointment...I looked terrible. I am in Europe and the Vibe drink recommended by the first poster is not available here. I have no idea what to do apart from going to my stupid doctor and showing him what his prescription did to my face. I am vegetarian, eat plenty of veggies every day, and a lot of fruit. My diet has never been better, yet obviously I am lacking something in order to develop such condition. Can anybody help with any useful suggestion?! Thanks!

i have had seborrheic detmatitis for about 4-5 years, like all of you i have tried everything, doctors, the internet of sulutions,
i am know using wen shampoo, its great , i love the way it makes you hair feel, and it doesn't tangle all up, but my scalp is so dry
and scally, this morning i tried putting baking soda on my scalp before my shower, i just put in on dry, and rubbed in it all over. and got in the shower and shampooed with wen ( you get it on the internet) , it made my flakes go away, i have them real bad long my hair line.
its so imbarrassing, but the baking soda took it away, its not a cure but it helped me. please some one find a cure for this!!!

I have had a mild/moderate case of it for years. It is very mild now, and a lot of the time is completely gone for weeks on end. I discovered for myself that something in hard tap water seems to be a real cause of mine - when I drink filtered water at home, my problems clear up and heal on their own. Stress also aggravates it, however as long as I am drinking filtered water, any breakout is minimal. I used to put diluted tea tree oil on the sores to help them heal. As for the stress, I realised that tension in my head/scalp was what made it worse, and that massaging out knots would stop the dermatitis coming as a result. Hopefully my discoveries will help someone else out there!

After trying scores of prescription creams, natural rememdies such as neem, tea tree oil, milk of magnesia, baking soda...even taking oral Diflucan, oral serioids and having sterioid injections under affected area, I finally found something to clear up my Seborrheic Dermatitis! It's an ointment called Lucky Tiger Ointment. My dad learned of it in the 60s from an MD who worked as a barber before he became a doctor. It doesn't smell that great (kind of like a sports pain cream), but it clears up Seb Derm so I could care less what it smells like!!! The active ingredients are salicytic acid and sulphur. I started using it six days ago morning and night and a 2" X 4" patch of Seb Derm on my neck that looked like a second degree burn is now so faint that it's hardly visible. The ointment is $8.00 for for 4 ounces ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I have it now it's horrible. I never had any allergies in my life. I am a 1yr old female. the pain was so excruiating i found myself at the locael emergency room. The prescribed Minocycline HCL100 mg caps 2 X a day. It helps. I attacks the disease from inside and gathers all the infected cells and the body naturally kills them. I'm also taking 50 mg of Tramadol HL.

My left side is affected basically my ear is all inflamed and swollen and weepy. I have no idea what caused this. I ever dumpe a full bottle of vinegar on my head. DId nothing but make my hair smell.

I came across a site called skin-remedies. com (I am not sure if I can post it here but I will give a try). I have just ordered the cream and the shampoo and it will take a while till they arrive as I live in Europe. But as soon as I get them and try them, I will let you know. They say on the site, there are a lot of testimonials, that these products really work. 

Hello Scott, I have the same exact problem and I have alot of frustrations from seborrheic dermatitis. I also have not yet found a cure, I only noticed changing my diet to low carbs and no sweets. Also tea tree oil works applied to scalp.

Good Luck

Rachlo

HI,

I have had sebhorreic dermatitis for probably 20 years now. It is persistent and it is annoying and can be very debilitating sometimes.

I've learned that basically categorising what you take inside your body as either acid (caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, processed sugars, drugs, red meats, less in white meats) and Alkaline (water, green vegetables, salads, pulses, beans,....good wholesome foods) can allow you to get control.

Acidic foods apparently create an environment of acidity in your blood, pushing your PH balance, out of balance. A survival mechanism that our bodies have is to release enzymes which are fungal and parasitic in nature, and those fungi and parasites have the job of feeding on the acid until the body has a better PH balance.

However, they then need to come out, and often do so through the skin in the greasiest areas (sides of the nose, forehead, behind the ears, centre of chest). So, it's one of the first things to realise, that it is an indication that your body, somehow, someway, for some reason, is taking in too much acid.

The confusing thing is there are delays which can cause confusion for what is working and what is not. You have bad symptoms, you eat well and drink lots of water for a whilst, but seemingly it doesn't work, and you think it may have gotten worse. So you look for a cream or a powder or do something different, and slowly it gets better, but you gave up the better diet, and are taking in acids again, and so further down the line, you have a whole load of trouble coming again.

I suggest sticking out the alkaline, water, vegetables, salad, diet and throwing in sweaty excercise to naturally irrigate the skin, and stay with it until it starts improving. Then, finally you will know for sure what can work. Then, if you choose to go back to the acids (whatever they are, cakes, chocolate, coffee, alchohol, cigarettes) then you know in your heart of hearts that your body doesn't want that, and it is your choice.

You may not get it perfect, unless you stick with it, but you will see first hand where it comes from, and what does really work and what doesn't.

I don't disregard nutritional supplements, and shampoos. I use an organic shampoo from Organics Australia. It's just a no frills no shampoo and very cleansing without any damage to your scalp or hair.

The last thing which I would be pleased to hear from other people on is whether hard water has a really bad effect. For the last 20 years I have lived in hardwater areas. I'm contemplating buying the house water softener to see if this has any long term effects.

However, as I mentioned above, even if I had the best water to wash in every day, even if I lived in a Spa Town, if I ate chocolate, smoked cigarettes, drank coffee, and drank beer and wine every evening, you can be sure that after a month or two, the fungas and parasites are going to start making their way out, after eating up all the excess acid in my body.

The science does make sense to me.

Good luck to everyone, I hope you all win in the end.

you're absolutely right with the exception of coffee (at least for me). Only time since I got this 20 years ago that I got totally clear was a few months after I could mange to quit smoking and stick to a clean diet of vegetables, fruits, chicken breasts, coffee sweetened with splenda), sugar free protein bars, large amount of skimmed yogurt and cottage cheese with evening primrose oil for supper.

Problem was I had no rice, potatoes, breads, sugars. And I went back to the gym and couldn't lift heavy and no pump. I looked good to people but not for me. What I saw in the mirror was not what I wanted. Didn't want to look like a male model. I like to be strong and pumped. Well I decided to go on Dan Duchaine's (god bless his soul) bodyopus. Well in short you go ZERO carbs (no fruits and no salads) high fat for five days and then you stuff your face with carbs. I stayed clear for almost 2 months on this and then one day it came back with vengeance. Started on my chest (which I never had before) and then to scalp, eyebrows, sides of nose.

Now looking back and analyzing. I think that was the worst diet possible for seb derm. Zero carbs high fat forces the metabolism to go into ketosis which acidifies the entire body. After that you stuff your face with whatever you were craving such as breads, pastas, sugars, chocolates, etc. which acidifies you even more.

Sticking to the diet that resolved my seb derm makes you antisocial and appear to other guys as a big SISSY! .. Screw that, I'd rather eat whatever I want whenever I want and keep using nizoral cream after showers. I do hope that a smart ass figures this out and finds a certain cure in pill form that you pop once a day.