hi,

i have seborrheic dermatitis on my face. besides looking terrible and making people act like i have a contagious disease and am someone they should stay well away from, which makes me feel terrible at times, it is also itchy and uncomfortable. i would give anything to improve my seborrheic dermatitis, at least a little. i am so done with this.

if you have seborrheic dermatitis as well, what products are you using on your face? have you been recommended any that are specifically designed for people with seborrheic dermatitis? i would love to hear your experiences and reviews.

Have you tried Pyrithione zinc by any chance? It is the best treatment around for Seborrheic Dermatitis, because most people aren't allergic to it or experience irritated skin as a result of its use, and it works really well no matter your skin type. Don't be tempted to use dandruff shampoos on your face, as many people with Seborrheic Dermatitis do, because that will only make matters worse over time. That is not designed for the face. Instead, try an antibacterial soap you can buy at the pharmacy and you will see some benefits. Don't forget that your condition is ultimately fungal, and these soaps will help with that plus they are made for use on the face among other areas.

So, I'll admit that I know nothing about Seborrheic Dermatitis myself, but I looked it up because I was curious and wanted to see how I could help you. Seems this is a long term issue that will flare and wane throughout your life and can appear anywhere on the body. For the scalp, zinc pyrithione, selenium sulfide and coal tar are recommended. Elsewhere on the body is trickier and you've got to keep on keeping your skin clean, washing with soap, but also seeking out sunlight and exercise which can clear the issue up for a time. You should see your doc if you haven't done so already, 'cause other things that can help you are anti fungal creams, Corticosteroids and sulfur cosmetics. You need medicated stuff, not over the counter cosmetics here, and 'cause there's lifestyle factors as well that can influence it, you need to be talking about steps you can take to keep this thing under control as much as poss. If you've actually self diagnosed and aren't sure if this is what you have for sure, then yeah,definitely see a doctor like yesterday. Having a partner in crime really helps here. You shouldn't have to deal with this stuff alone. 

Celebrity

Some people are able to control their seborrheic dermatitis fairly successfully using natural remedies. They include applying olive oil and gently removing the scales, making sure they only use very gentle natural soaps, avoiding products that contain alcohol and can make their seborrheic dermatitis worse, and sticking to natural fabrics such as cotton where the seborrheic dermatitis appears on parts of the body covered by clothing. While omega 3 fatty acid supplements have helped many seborrheic dermatitis sufferers and you should probably also consider this for yourself, a more local treatment that works for many is aloe vera. A majority of people with seborrheic dermatitis saw reduced itchiness and scaling with aloe vera, one study showed. 

Rosie

Note: I am not a doctor. I have rosacea and only know what I know about seborrheic dermatitis from when I was researching what could be wrong with me before I received my diagnosis. However, since seborrheic dermatitis is essentially caused by a fungus, many people have luck with over the counter anti-fungal creams. They may send your flare ups into remission. You can use medicated shampoos on your scalp, but should not use them on your face. Some people also try a sea salt solution, and some see success using this, for their skin. If those two do not work, prescription cortocosteroids are the way to go. 

That's the same as cradle cap, right? My baby had that, and I strongly suspect there was something like that going on on the diaper area as well because despite excellent hygiene (read frequent diaper changes and everything) that rash wouldn't go away for the longest time. I was advised to use jojoba oil to loosen the flakes and though it made the hair very greasy, it did work nicely. The rash did go away eventually. He's 6 now and no longer has it. If natural treatments with oils don't work, why don't you go and see a doctor about some prescription products instead?

I have the same question, because I too have what I think is most probably seborrheic dermatitis on my face. I have not seen anyone about it yet but it's centered around the edges of my nose, with splitting, crusty, red, and even oozy skin. It looks terrible and no amount of makeup will cover it. In fact, I look worse with foundation on because it really accentuates the problem area. Yuck! I really want to get rid of it. So if you have any treatments that worked for you, and I'm totally open to alternative treatments here, then I would be really glad to hear it. Thanks!!!

I have seborrheic dermatitis on my face as well as on my scalp. Needless to say, I have experimented with countless remedies over the years, some of which worked well and others of which did nothing at all.

- Seltsun Blue works well for my scalp and sometimes I use a little on my face as well. It does make a huge difference.
- I go swimming in summer and noticed that my seborrheic dermatitis improves when I do go swimming regularly. For some, the chlorine really makes a difference.
- Hydrocortisone cream does work, but be absolutely sure to keep it out of your eyes!!! For me, since most of it is near my brows, that can be tricky.
- Ask your derm for Ketoconazole 2%, which is prescription only. It is for the scalp but you can also use it on your face in smaller amounts.

I hope that helps you a little!!!

I would be careful here and not assume that you know what you have for sure. It could be impetigo as well, and the treatment options would vary quite a bit. So if I were you (that is, if I were anyone suspecting seborrheic dermatitis) I would make seeing a dermatologist a priority. For impetigo, things like Aveeno eczema cream would help you a great deal. At the beginning of each path to successful treatment is a correct diagnosis! Don't forget that!

I'm coming back here 'cause I was just talking to a mate who had crusts on her face for ages and tried all sorts. Turns out she got seborrheic dermatitis! Seems that with these skin conditions there's a lot of trial and error involved and different things work for different people, but what my mate is now using is Toleriane face wash and moisturiser and it has helped her an awful lot, so in case you're still looking for options here, I thought I'd throw that out there and see if perhaps it could help you as well. My mate says this stuff is pricey as *&^%* but worth it.