I am experiencing Seborrheic Dermatitis on my face. The areas that are affected: my eyelids, eyebrow region, the sides of my nose, and the sides of my mouth. I was told that there are over the counter remedies that I can use. I was wondering if anyone would recommend me some.

Once I understood the cause of Seborrheic Dermatitis on my face I dedicated my time to finding an over-the-counter remedy. I’ve found it on some website and if Had it not been for this very site I would have never thought to control the inflammation on my face. I will simply wash my face with dandruff shampoo everyday. I knew I needed one product to take care of the inflammation and another product to take care of the itchiness and flaking and I was aware of that hydrocortisone and aloe Vera could take care of the itching and flaking. So when I finally ran on “Equate" Dandruff Shampoo (Dry Scalp), but this is a generic version in comparison to "Head and Shoulders."

I have been stinging for years, I have been in remission before, but it is back full force, can't use topicals at all, tried dandruff shampoo on sides of mouth, that is where all the stinging is located. I do have flaking, itching on scalp, forehead, eyebrows. The stinging is my need though. It is unbearable right now. I get very short boughts of relief.
Is there something you can take oraly for this??
Please help!! Been to 8 or 9 derm doctors, no help.
Kathy

Hi

I started using Liz Earle products about 3 years ago. It's a 3 step process, cleanse, tone, and moisturise.

Feel the sink with hot water, put a small amount of cleanser on the back of your hand and then gently apply to the face focusing on the worse areas. Then put your cloth in the water, squeeze it out and then wipe away the excess cleanser. Dry your face with a soft towell then grab the toner and pour small amount on to a cooton wool pad and apply to face. Lastly moisturise the face, again with emphasis on the problem areas.

That's it, the skin will be a little red afterwards but you really see the benefits 24/48 hours later. I do this once a week, late at night before I go to bed.

Regards

I have been told by a derm doc that i have seb. derm., but i seem to have a symptom i have not come across yet. I have redness and flaking in the corners/edges of my nose, but i also have these white/clear deposit type things. its not like a white head, but its definitely not skin,
it pops out and i can get rid of them with a tweezer.
sounds disgusting, i know, but i just dont now what to do, its gross and weird. i have tried ketokonazol and it does not work... and my skin is too sensitive for dandruff shampoo.
has anyone had this similar issue?

thanks

go away sebderm.

I also had a problem with my seb derm stingng from topicals, but finally found that cleansers without parabens, added color or fragrance work well, as does adding an oil-free facial moisturizer. For my hair and scalp, I use Pharaceutical Speciallties Free and Clear shampoo, supplemented by Neutrogena T-Sal twice a week. On my face, I use PCA Skin dry skin relief bar at night and Toleraine Foaming Cream Cleanser in the morning. (On nights when my skin stings after using the PCA, I wash again with the Toleraine to make sure I remove all the residual.) To moisturize, I use a small amount of Pharmamceutical Specialities Vitec Vitamen-E cream. The T-Sal and PCA bar exfoliate, so you don't get the red or white waxy skin build-up, while the other products soothe the irritation. You can find all but the Neutragena online at Dermstore.com. The facial cleansers are pricey, but you need such a small amount that they last a really long time. Exposing your face to sunlight for a few minutes a day also helps, as long as you don't overdo it.

I have exactly what you're describing, when I was my face vigorously with a wash cloth it becomes much worse, if I just use my hands to wash gently, it pretty much stays away, but with a mild redness. Have you found anything out? I went to the dermatologist and he prescribed a steriod cream and claimed it was from a sinus infection, but it hasn't gone away, about 4 months now.

I have the same thing, and it sucks. I've had the steroid creams from doctors. They don't work. I've had it for months. But, I recently found alot of references to apple cider vinegar. Ppl apply it diluted with water to the effected area twice a day and it goes away in a few days. Try it .. I'm going to when I get hold of some ...

Do you guys find this happens more so after you drink?

I have been dealing with SB for three years now. My scalp has ultimately gotten worse and my face has extremely vicious flare-ups. The steroid creams are not working, nor are the shampoos that were suggested to me. What I fear the most is that each and every site I have hit in the last 6 months, claims that this is a possible early sign of some neurological disorder, i.e. Parkinson's, HIV, epilepsy, vitamin B deficiency. Does anyone out there have a method of keeping it under control???

I also have experienced skin irritation on my face as well as my scalp. Over the last few years it has been prob on at least one part of my face. It started off on my face... i thought it was ringworm because i am a fighter/grappler or some other fungi infection,(ringworm: ring-like rash caused by fungus... DOESNT* always have to be a ring!) so i got prescribed anti fungal medicine. most of it when away but it came back. My doctor said its prob rosacea... i thought F* that doc! because i dont have rosey ass red cheeks like i though rosacea was all about. my "rosacea" rash was almost pimple like. so he prescribed me "Metronidazole gel .75%" it did the trick!... pretty fast too. im pretty sure it help to keep the area kind of dry too.. so after i put the gel on,.. i put a little goldbond on too.. it felt great and it kept the area really dry and clean. i did this twice a day.... after 4-5 days it was gone.
BUT after a few weeks i started getting almost a similar rash on my scalp... my doctor said it was SB.. i got ketoconozole for it... and a laprox gel... it doesn't seem to be working as great... this rash is kind of different then the rosacea i had because the scalp is flaking. but i wonder if SB is related to rosacea... i know that rosacea is a bacterial infection and and SB is fungal... but i wonder if there is some mingling or team work going on there? I feel there is a good possability that a mild SB cause can cause rosacea and they have a cycle keeping eachother alive and tricking us. Evolution is a b***h... but im going to start putting my rosacea gel on my scalp and see what happens.

I have read carefully the blog posts, and I believe that I can assist you in locating more information relating to the topic. Although there are many cures to skin disease and head Psoriasis, there is only one proven and very efficient remedy to reduce the disease to a negligible state for long periods of time and, hence, to reduce the overall suffering caused by it.
In a study published by the Dead Sea in Israel, it seems that the perception of visitors in the medical-tourism sector has been correct. At least, according to the study, it is now official. The Dead Sea has healing attributes that cause the disease to regress. It is possible to sign up to the study at the following address:
Thank you again for the good work that you are doing – on behalf of all that are suffering.
dead-sea-health.org/eng/psoriasis_03.html?6#assay6

I had severe SD on my face for about 9 months. It was never red, and it didnt sting, but it was everywhere, and the flaking on my eyelids and under my eyes was unbearable. I went to literally 5 dermatologists and got prescribed about 10 different steroid creams and basically everything they could think of.
I think I read somewhere on a website about this stuff called Dermarest, and all the people that had used it were raving about it. I found some at wal-mart and tried it, and I literally the next morning my SD had been reduced by about 90%. I cried I was so happy. I had spent sooo much money and time in doctors offices and THIS over the counter stuff that costs $5 worked?! I was so happy that I didnt let myself worry about why doctors had not told me about it.
It comes in a white tube with a pinkish/reddish top, and it says Dermarest Moisturizing Lotion. I used to only find it at wal-mart, but I recently say it being sold at Safeway grocery stores. I put it on once int he morning and once at night all over my face. Try to find some, I hope it works for someone!

My SD started as a spot on my forehead that I thought was ringworm. Anyway, with 2 washes a day with Dermarest Shampoo on my face and hair (yes, on my face) and nightly Lotrimin cream it is almost gone. The redness is 90% better, but I do have a few bumpy places. I hope this helps.

I read someplace that neutrogena healthy face lotion with AHAs and multi-vitamins with spf 15 helped someone reverse the hair loss and control the facial seb derm. I have only used it for one day and atleast it has not exacerbated the problem like other lotions and potions that I have tried. TThis person was using the ZNP bar to wash before applying the lotion. My experience with ZNP is that it was too drying so I did not opt for it. I might get the zinc pyrithione 0.25% spray stuff and try that out.
Do post if this helps ya~