After having done LSD several times both when I was and wasn't depressed, I can say that LSD should not be used while someone is suffering from depression, especially when that depression is a result of an overly ruminating mind. I have suffered on and off from depression and my depression usually comes on when I am overly idle (a recent spat of unemployment had me at home with nothing to do for days on end).

LSD essentially causes you to "rediscover" the world around you as if you were a child, but with the faculties of a thinking adult. This "pulling of the rug from under you" can be a rapturous experience, but it can also be a disastrous one. If you are someone who is a "control freak" or at least inclined to that temperament, then LSD will almost certainly rattle you to the bones in a way that you will not be able to handle. If you are someone without neuroses and are able to take adversity in stride, then the rebirth, as it were, will likely be quite enjoyable.

There is no one out there today that can say LSD can cure depression on everyone bc everyone is different. But, I read there are some swiss scientists who think LSD in small doses could be a potential cure along with therapy. I think that this really could help some people. I also think that if therapy while on LSD is geared towards working on left sided brain activities like mathmatics and such; it could help over come depression. Hang with me if you do not understand. I know that people who have srokes in the left side of their brain become depressed because it suppresses left sided brain function and people who right sided strokes tend to be happy because it suppresses the right side of brain (medical professionals understand). So I think exercising the left side of your brain while on LSD can help with depression. Doctors,nurses, please give opinions.

this very much depends on the nature of the depression i think. i took lsd whilst being depressed but that was during a time i was denying my suffering from the illness. my trip was terrible. but it made me realise i was depressed and had to seek help, so in the end i am glad i took it. it showed me actually how hopeless i was feeling all the time. 

anyway, if your friend decides to try it it should be with a person who knows of his condition and is NOT on lsd themselves. 

Hey Guys,

I am on some strong depression with risk of borderline, lost boyfriend, all of my friends and my studies at university...last sunday I was on some Goa-festival and took LSD,Mushrooms,MDMA,Weed in order to fall into a psychosis completely....But guess what? I learnt, that I am somewhat awesome person who just has to transcendent all self insecurity and I will have that special aura of comlete quiteness and happiness, that is heavy to bear for people around me- the next day, my tent neighbours told me, they never met someone that warm, peaceful and endlessly hopeful- It worked perfectly with me, yet I learned  like life at all

So make sure, your friend doesn't think, it could get worse...if there's nothing to loose, than make him fight.

LSD effects serotonin receptor 2a most specifically, it inhibits serotonin here along with several other receptors that it will stimulate or inhibit. This causes a mix up of information in the brain. These result in changes in mood, visual distortion, and auditory hallucinations. LSD affects everyone differently. Some find it to be incredibly visual and are enthraled by the visual distortions brought on by it. Others find that their mood and thought process are more affected, it can cause you to see things in a different light, or view your own thoughts and ideas from a different perspective. It can exsasperate previous mental illnesses, little is known about the way LSD reacts in the brain. More studies have been conducted with Psilocybin (active chemical in shrooms) the Imperial College of London has posted several studies showing that Psilocybin can treat depression for up to six months after a single dose. This is believed to occur because patients suffering from depression tend to have an over active posterior congulate ( a portion of the brain associated with self analysis) it is shown that while under the influence of Psilocybin blood flow is decreased to that portion of the brain causing it to decrease activity even after the drugs effects have worn off. Under the right setting, with the right people, with the right mind set psychedelics can be an incredibly positive experiance that can change your entire outlook on life. From my personal experiance LSD gave me a peace with myself and the world that I have never known before. When I was younger I suffered from depression, my first experiance with shrooms was eye opening and helped me to solve the problems that I had built up in my own head. It showed me that everything is a product of how I choose to react to it. They are magic wonder pills, but most certainly they can be a tool to realize wonderful new insights about yourself. So with the right support, and a good grasp of how the drug works and potential feelings that you will experiance, with a good environment your friend may very well be able to find the roots of his depression, and through that new understanding may come to terms with his problems and find peace. Hope this helps and good luck.

I had an error on my last post I meant to say they are not magic wonder pills

Honestly it helps me loads! I've suffered from depression the majority of my life. LSD every now and then really does help me clear up my ideas and it helps me jump to my next goal. 

Hi, I'm 18 and have had recurring bouts of depression throughout my life since I was 12.  I have done LSD about 20-30 times thus far in my life.  Taking acid is very much a spiritual experience and as the experience has the potential be somewhat overwhelming I would suggest that your friend not do it while in a state of depression.  Though I cannot specifically instruct you on this matter as the experiences are highly variable depending on a wide range of factors.  I can say however, that taking acid as well as other psychedelics has increased my urge to live in general.  I still struggle with depression today, but I find that psychedelics have made me a more spiritual person and has gotten me in touch with myself and my immediate surroundings.  As an alternative to LSD, I would recommend reading this article-on the instance of increased serotonin over time similar to anti-depressants but is shown to have more immediate effects.  I would highly recommend mushrooms.  I have noticed (within the incredibly small sample of my lifespan) that most people I have tripped mushrooms with have more frequently than not had good trips and I personally have never had a bad trip on mushrooms.

He should NOT try ecstasy. Although the experience itself would be great, coming down is likely to have him feeling significantly more depressed than before.

I found shrooms to work. I was depressed didn't know why and then tried shrooms for the first time. I had a very unpleasant experience or "bad trip" but I feel like during that hopeless 6 hours I was able to see what it was that that made me depressed in a more tangible manner. But every person reacts to all drugs differently so you should never use drugs with 100% confidence you will have any particular experience.

Get me some

Doing acid that many times has burned countless pinholes in your brain. You use acid sparingly not twice a week you've fried your brain.

Lsd does not harm you body or brain. Do your research before you speak. It may in fact help your friend. Bad trips are rare for most people no one has ever triped forever that's a lie. You can't od. In extremely rare cases it can trigger psychosis in a person that is predisposed due to family history but almost never. The worst thing that would possibly happen is a bad trip also rare. But unknown to most people if a freak out occurs take a xanax bar or a few mg of clonopin or equivalent of some other benzo and your bad trip will turn good again in about 20 min. Don't let him take more than one hit of lsd in a place that his is comfortable in with a few close friends to hang out with him and be there if he needs a babysitter which he probably wont. And don't worry if for some reason he stereotypically thinks he can fly (which he wont) I imagine he's smart enough to try to take off from the ground. As Bill hicks once said "you don't see duck lining up to catch elevators to fly south". Any way I'm 34 and I have taken thousands of hits of lsd. In fact last time I did it I are 50 hits all at once, I had a amazingly beautiful experience and was back to normal when it was over. I'm not insane now or anything. And yes it can help with depression by allowing you to be experience the incredible beauty that lies hidden from most and feel the peace, tranquility and sense of awe that only lsd can unveil. Nearly everyone should try it at least once. But he shouldn't take it simply to cure his depression but instead take it for the amazing experience the joy will stay with you even after the drug wears off.

The bad one tend to really make you realize what's really important to you and give you a new appreciation for all the good things in life.

I'd recommend a solid but not a huge dose of magic mushrooms in a safe environment with close, trustworthy friends, even just the two of you. If you don't want to take my word for it (which you shouldn't, as I'm just some random person on the Internet) just research it yourself because psychologists and neuroscientists agree on its positive affects on depression and anxiety. LSD is a bit trickier. I've taken it more times than I can count (probably about 30) and I think there are just too many factors that determine its influence. It definitely can work as an anti depressant, but it's possible that he'll have a horrible time too and it might make things worse. Mushrooms will be less risky. If possible, take during the day when the sun is out and expose yourself to a bit of nature. Even just a walk around a mediocre garden can be mind blowingly beautiful. I hope this helps because depression really is awful. Good luck brother.