I hear that you have to change your running shoes every now and then. Also, since I run in the countryside often my shoes get dirty. I clean them immediately but there are dirt residues that cannot be cleaned easily. What do you think about washing running shoes? It looks like a good idea to me.

Yeah, I know what you mean. My shoes get dirty too. I wash them often. Don’t worry. They will be OK after that. Of course, it depends on the material they were made of. If you feel uncomfortable wearing them after washing try to dry them slowly. There are some kinds of shoes that cannot be washed. I mean, they can be washed but they change their shape slightly after drying thus making it possible for you to get blisters. In such case you shouldn’t wash them. Just clean them as much as you can. When they get dirty beyond repair, get a new pair.

Do not put your shoes in the washing machine, and never put them in the dryer. If you must wash them, use a damp cloth or sponge to wipe off dirt/mud, stuff them with newspaper, and let air dry.

Definitely don't wash your shoes in the washing machine. By all means, clean them off but that's it.

Washing machines (and especially dryers) will mess up your shoes and that's far too expensive.

Plus, the dirtier your shoes get the more you look like a real runner. I always feel weird running in brand new shiny shoes. I want to tell people, "I run in these, really, they're not just for show." Dirty shoes feel more comfortable, because you know you've put in some time together.

Hand washing will do. NEVER EVER PUT IT IN A WASHING MACHINE! It will only destroy your shoes.

it is sure not to be put in washing machine

Curious, why do most of you think you shouldnot put your running shoes in the washer?
I do it and it's fine--cold water gentle cycle.

on that note, for those of you that run in the rain at times, what are your comments regarding your shoes getting wet, your feet getting wet, and how you deal with it after you're done running/when you get home?

(i'm exploring this topic for a possible school project)
thanks

The area I train in is evidently a favorite spot for dog walkers ... need I say more.
After a while I was forced to put my shoes in the washer, no changes to my shoes as of yet.

The thing I've found is that as long as you use cold water you won't have a problem using a washing machine if you have a decent pair of shoes. my 2 cents