Hello everyone. I took my cat to the vet yesterday. She was acting strange for a few days, she’s been kind of nervous. She didn’t wanted me to touch her (she always liked to cuddle) and at first I thought maybe she is just not in the mood. But then, I noticed she is not walking properly so I thought maybe she is in pain and I took her to the vet, just in case. He was very impolite and he told me that my cat has anal gland disease and that I should’ve had noticed the symptoms way earlier. Can somebody tell me what are the symptoms for it?

Not that I defend the vet, but there are symptoms for anal gland disease and they are pretty obvious. Do you have an indoor cat or…?You were supposed to notice her licking her under tail area. Yeah I know cats do that sometimes, but cats with anal gland disease do it way more often than regular cats do.Also, did you maybe notice that sometimes she pulls her bottom part down the carpet as if she is trying to scratch herself? That could be one of the signs along with the licking.

Sometimes cats even won’t discharge feces from the body because they’re in pain.

The symptoms of anal gland problems are pretty obvious. Besides licking of the anal area and swelling of the anus, cats get nervous if you touch them near the tail. They even start biting or scratching anyone who tries that. You can notice blood or pus seeping out of anus or, like Mima said, lack of stool.

Can you remember when this behavior started?

Although you could notice these signs earlier it isn’t your fault and don’t be angry at your vet but do everything what is in your power to help your cat. At least, you will know how to act if anything similar happens in future. 

Yes, those are the symptoms of anal gland disease. Anal gland blockage or even infection is a common problem in cats. The classic sign is when you see that your cat is scooting. Next symptom is swelling, licking and smelling. We all do know where are located anal glands, so you should control this. Glands within the anal sacs produce dark, smelly substance. I always say to my friends, if you don’t know how to deal with this, visit the vet. That is the best solution, because he will tell you what are the next steps. It is not hard, but you need help.

Good luck! 

You should control these symptoms on time, because it can be something really bad. I really don’t want to scare you, but I agree with one thing – if you don’t know what are you doing, you should visit vet, now. As soon as possible. The main symptoms are scooting, licking the skin around the bottom, base of the tail and even legs or feet. Ugly smell can also occur during this. Now, I believe that some of these symptoms can be mistaken for some other signs, such as worms or fleas. This is why you need to see your vet. 

I am 100% positive that I have never seen my cat pulling her bottom down the carpet to scratch herself. I think I would notice something like that.As for the licking, there was some licking but nothing unparticular.

The only strange thing was her way of moving around, as she is a bit nervous. But besides that, I didn’t notice anything strange in her behavior.That vet was really rude. Even if I did make a mistake, there’s no need to talk with me like that.I’m not crazy, if I noticed any of those symptoms, I would’ve taken her to the vet long time ago.

I remember that my friend had very similar problem like you do have now. She had a cat for a long time, and her cat was showing some symptoms, but those were not a symptoms of some anal gland disease. But, she did the right thing – she went to the vet with her cat and the vet told her that those are some first steps of this disease. Other steps can be visible later. So, she took everything that was in her power to prevent this disease. Her cat was very nervous, and that was the first symptom. Only vet can help you to be sure in this. 

Oh, here we are. So I am not alone. It’s nice to see that (or is it? :confused: ).

My cat has this disease and I’ve been searching the internet these days to find out as much as I can about it. Hopefully by understanding the problem I will be in a better position when it comes to solving it.

Symptoms that my cat has are more than obvious. She is licking herself down there, you know, like all the time. Her hair is about to fall of if she doesn’t stop. And she has been cranky almost every day in the last month.