Ciao ! :)

As many of you here already know, I have a female dog Dona and she is about to turn a year.

I haven’t spayed her yet. You will ask why, well let’s say that I though that by spaying her I will be putting her through a lot of unnecessary pain .

I don’t know much about female dogs so I am here asking you for advice on how to take of her properly while she is in heat and how to calm her down during that period?

I really don’t want her to run away or something.

Hello. When your dog is in heat she can be very, very nervous and she won’t be calm until she runs away. I know a lot of cases. When it comes to this inexperienced owners usually let her to be this way. But this is wrong. Here are some tips how to calm her down. First, you should never let your dog outside alone. Second, your dog will need extra attention. Third, you need to find a perfect balance between exercise and the rest. Fourth, you should always hide all trail back home because they can be a call for other male dogs.

Hey there.

Well my sister is having a female dog. She didn’t spayed her yet and I always suggest her to do this. This is the best way to prevent some problems in the future.

I remember that this was always very hard time for my sister. Her dog was driving her crazy because she was sobbing most of the time and it was very hard to calm her down.

Here is what you can do to calm her down. You should give her all your attention. Avoid chews and treats because they are not good when she is being like this. You can ask your vet to prescribe some medications for your dog but this will work just for a while.

Spay her :)

Ciao rubylock to you too :)

And the rest of you, of course :)

Uf, there is nothing so annoying when your little, cute friend is in heat. I have a little male dog, thanks God, so I don’t have that problem. He is still young, maybe I will have problem when he starts to chase the girls lol :)

I think that in female dogs it is all about exercising. You need to show her that everything is fine and cuddle with her.

I am sure that those medications that can calm her can be helpful, but I would surely look for another alternative :)

What I’ve noticed is that many dog owners think that they shouldn’t walk their female dogs while they’re in heat, which is completely wrong cause that’s when they need it most.

The more walks they take, the more calm they will be. The only thing you should be careful about – don’t ever let her walk alone, always keep her on a leash. Unless you want to run after her.

Even those females who were always afraid when they don’t see their owners for longer than a few seconds will completely change when they’re in heat. So be careful and never leave your door open.

Whenever my dog is in heat, she lacks energy instead of being so active and restless like the majority of females. I have the feeling that she would just sleep and not even eat during those days, but I never let her cause she is already skinnier than most of the dogs of her breed.
For those who have problems, I would suggest you to buy a lot of chew toys to keep her busy when you’re not around or you’re working. Long walks and ball chasing can also help, especially ball chasing, it’s exhausting even for the most active dogs.

Hello. What your dog needs is a lot of long walks that will calm her down and that will tire her down. That is just one of the ways to keep her calm and in the good mood. I have a dog and whenever she is in heat I walk with her. I never let her to walk alone like lot of pet owners do because they are tired or they are busy. Do not leave her alone in the yard. It doesn’t matter if you have a fence. Male dogs can be very aggressive when they feel a female dog around them. They can jump over the fence. Buy her some toys so she can play with them. She will focus on her new toys and I am sure that she will wreak all her aggressive behavior on the toys.

Hey, thank you for all the answers. I will use some of your suggestions.

I see that everyone thinks I should spay her, but I don’t really think that there’s any need to do that.

First of all, I keep her indoors, so no contact with males there. When we go out, she is always near me. She is very attached to me and she never loses me out of her sight.

When she is in heat I never lose her out of my sight and I keep her on a leash.

All that needs to be fixed is her hyperactivity  while she’s in heat.

Hey everyone :)

I have a male dog and I am glad because of it when I am reading all your comments lol :)

Anyway, I think that it is very important for you to be calm, not to be stressed when she is like that. When you are stressed you will make totally opposite thing – she will be much more aggressive and I am sure that you don’t know how to deal with it.

So be calm. Try to come closer to her and try to cuddle her as much as you can. Play with her.  

This might help you!

Hey Rubylock. If you are asking how to calm down a female dog in heat I think that the only answer is to let her bread or to put up with her behavior until that period passes.

You said ‘’ I haven’t spayed her YET’’. Does that mean that you are still thinking about it? I hope you will eventually find that that is really the best option.

Just like women, some female dogs need more activity while in heat, while the others just want to lie down and rest. You need to recognize your dog’s needs and behave according to them.