Ok, so I'm not really sure where to start, this is the first forum post of this sort I've ever made and I'm making it because I'm starting to get concerned.

I'm just going to run through everything as it happened.

First of all I'm a smoker and it started approximately 2 weeks ago, possibly a little more, I was getting this sore spot in my throat, I found it a bit odd as it seemed a little different than usual, but didn't think much of it. After a couple of days I started noticing that right under my chin near my neck would feel swollen sometimes, more often when I smoked a cigarette, but it would other times as well, I think it was my lymph nodes or neck glands or something. I also had the feeling of a lot of phlegm in my throat, not sure if it was or not, but I found myself trying to clear my throat and swallowing a lot. This had me a bit concerned so I went to see a doctor, they did a swab test for strep throat which came back negative, and they told me they figured it was just a cold or allergies.

After a few days of this continuing I cut back on smoking, and the swelling symptoms went away, but the phlegm feeling was still there a bit and I started to feel sick, nauseous & a bit of a loss of appetite, but no actual vomiting, as well as tired and had a lack of energy. I again went to the doctor to get checked out and they again said they figured it was just a cold or allergies, they told me this time to come back in a few days if I was still having trouble and they would do another swab test & blood work to test for mono.

After a few more days the phlegm feeling improved, I still got it at times, but not as badly or as often. I tried to eat a lot more and started taking Nyquil and slowly got an appetite back, but its still not full or normal as usual.

Right now I have more energy, not full energy, but definitely more, I still feel more tired than usual, but not as bad, and my appetite is still kind of the same, I get hungry around 3 times a day but don't want to eat as much as usual. The problem is I still have a sore spot in my throat and some times my whole throat gets a little sore and kind of raw feeling I guess.

I'm going back to the doctor today hoping to get some more answers, but afraid of the answers as well. 

Anyone have any insight on what might be wrong?

Also, the time leading up to, and during this (and even now), I've been having a lot of stress & anxiety and one other thing I forgot to mention was that my jaw sometimes gets sore when chewing too much.

If you are one of those people who smoke synthetic I would consider getting an x-ray. Either way i would because you felt pain on your neck below your chin wich could me tearing or some kind of cancer. Hope it helps let me know how it turns out.

Hi, first of all, thank you for the reply!

I'm not sure what you mean by "smoke synthetic", but anyways...

I wasn't having any actual pain in that area below my chin, it just felt like swelling, swelling of the lymph nodes I think? Anyways, that swelling happened at the beginning of all this for a few days, but it stopped happening and I haven't had it since.

I've been back & forth to the doctor, they said I just had a cold the first 2 times, the third time was a different doctor and she said my throat was really red and gave me a prescription for penicillin. She wanted to do a swab test for strep, but I told her I already had one done & it came back negative, she then told me that it was ok and she was still going to give me a prescription because it is possible that I have a different kind of strep, she said that there is some kind of strep they don't test for at my local hospital.

I've been taking my prescription as directed, haven't felt sick or anything, my throat would get a bit sore at times during the day, but almost every night it would get more sore...this is the fourth or fifth day of my ten day prescription and I found that my throat was pretty good all day today, and tonight it's not as bad as usual, it's actually doing pretty good compared to usual.

I'm drinking lots of water and making sure I take my prescription, it seems to be better today, hopefully the next few days will show improvements as well, if not then I'll have to go get checked out further.