I have these white growths on the back of my throat thatare VERY VERY painful... It feels like I'm swallowing razor blades or something sharp every time.I'm also very sick with a cough and nasal issues. Any guess what this could be

If you haven't already I would suggest you visit the Doctor and ask to be tested for Strep.  I am very susceptible to this infection and mine always start with a sore throat and then little white bumps either just on the tonsils or at the back of the throat as well.  It is possible that it could be thrush as well which is a yeast infection in the throat.  Get it checked out. 

I know what this is seeing that I had tiger like stripes (white growths as you describe) going down the back of my throat. Alison you more than likely have a very bad case of strep throat. The last time I had it....WAS the last time I had it because my Mom told the Doctor to take my tonsils OUT! They were reluctant because they said that if I got them out, I would probably end up with more cases of strep throat. Well I wanted them out...I had strep throat 7-10 times a year and I was over it. That was 27 years ago and I am happy to report that I have not had a single case of strep throat since. This is not something to play with Alison...you need to get to the Dr or an Urgent Care Center if that is an option as soon as possible. I hope this information helps....I'm here if you have any questions.