My husband had his gall bladder removed 6 years ago, since then he has had attacks of some kind.
Then 8 months ago he had a pancreatitis attack and then another one last week. He was hospitalized on both occasions, given morphine and liquid plus antibiotics. He had test both times and showed nothing so he now will be making an appointment at Vanderbilt, Drs, are telling him he has blockage from a gall stone that managed to escape.
I can't believe al the problems people have after what drs. convince us is a simple procedure.

Well I am not sure where to begin, I had my gallbladder removed in April of 2006 and the pain stopped for about 3 months just to start again. I began the tour of doctors nad hospitals and every test they could come up with. I usually had elevated liver numbers but there was not much else besides extreme pain. I have been to the emergency room about 6 times and each time I was given pain meds and then released, but nothing to prevent the next attack. I had been told by one doctor that he thought it was sphincter of oddi but no one would perform the procedure because of the risk of pancreintitus. Just as I found a doctor ready to try it I found out I was pregnant so we put things off and I prayed that I would make it through the pregnancy with no attacks. I think because of the hormone progesterone I made it through. My daughter is 7 weeks old and the pain has returned!!!! I also have the new symptom of extreme gas the most painful I have ever experienced and the same pain as before. I am not sure what to do. Has any one else had issues with gas along with all the other pain????

I had my gallbladder out ages ago and began having gallbladder attack pains. Stones in the duct were ruled out after being admitted to the hospital a couple of years after the surgery. I saw a gastroenterologist a year or so after that who basically gave up on trying to find out what was causing my attacks. A couple of years later, and after several more attacks I began researching it on my own. Low and behold I cam across sphincter of oddi dysfunction. Thank goodness, it seemed I found the answer. Then I took it a step farther and upon further research found that in some instances, to initiate an attack, a painkiller substance would be given to the patient, which would cause a reaction that brought about an attack. Knowing this I was able to retrace most of my instances of attacks and found that they were all during periods when I was on pain medication for whatever reason. Even cough syrup with codeine seemed to cause this. My problem is that I can't seem to get a doctor to understand where I am coming from with this. Recently, I was rushed to the ER due to an auto accident. I told them over and over in the ER that pain medicine would cause me to have a bad reaction. But I was in so much pain from the accident they wanted to at least try. But no sooner had they given me the shot I began feeling agitated and within a few minutes I was having a full flown attack - all in the middle of a CT scan. I have been searching a hoping that I can find me a doctor who can back me up on this and help me determine if my findings are legitimate and if there is an alternative pain medicine I can specifically ask for in the hospital if something like this happens again. I am supposed to have a couple of surgeries but I have been putting them off because of fear of the pain and fear of having an attack. Is there anyone else who can trace their attacks to taking pain meds?

I was wondering if your pain meds etc were Asprin or A.S.A. I found that an Asprin can trigger a severe attack but Endocet stops the pain. Acetominophin doesn't bother me.

I had my gallbladder removed the beginning of march of this year. the pain from the surgery went away after about 3 weeks and then about 1 week after that i started getting very irritating pain where the surgery was done. i waited to see if the pain would go away but a week later i still had it so i decided to go to the emergency room. the surgeon that did the surgery wanted to admit me. i was in the hospital for 5 days going through cat scans, ultra sounds, mri, blood tests and they also did an upper and lower endoscopy to rule out a flare of my ulcerative colitis. when they concluded that there was NOTHING wrong with me the surgeon sent me home with some vicoden and said the pain would go away. that was about 2 weeks ago the the pain is still there. it seems to get worse as the day goes on being very minimal when i wake up. i went to my primary care doctor and they told me it could be my abdominal wall. the muscles arent healed yet... the only problem is my surgery was 2 months ago. now a week later the pain is STILL there and is NOT getting better. its a constant pain under the right side of my rib cage that seems to radiate around my right side to my back and sometimes radiate to the left side of my stomach. im sick of being blown off and i cant stand doctors lookin at me like im some kinda head case. im only 22 so they cant imagine why i am having these problems but I AM so help me please!!!!! does this sound like any problems any of u are having?

I have had this problem for quite a while now. Last year, I went to the ER with horrendous pain about 4 inched above the belly button. I had lots of gas, vomiting, cold sweats, and nausia. After running tests, the doctors gave me morphine and made me relax. The pain slowly went away while there. I saw my family doctor the next day. He thought I might have ulcers previous to this attack and had me on prilosec. He scheduled me for testing for my gall bladder at the hospital and it was determined that my gall bladder was only functioning about 16%. The specialist i was referred to put me on a fish and vegetable diet that i have been on for 6 months. When ever i would stray and eat something else, i pay dearly with that same ole pain. Well I just had my gall bladder removed finally about 1 week ago. They gave me cookies, crackers, and some cola to make sure I could keep it all down before I went home. That night the pain was back in full force! Today I am at the tail end of yet another never ending attack being up all nite long. My attacks usually take effect about 6-8 hours after eating certain foods and could last up to 24 hours. Any dairy, fatty, breads, grapes, chocolate, carbonated drinks........... hope this helps to know you arent alone out there.

I have had my gallbladder removed 2001 And the doc cut my dill duck in hafe twice, But it was repaired. Now the pain is back! I have had all kinds of test like upper gi and blood done but they never looked to see if i may have stones in my duck that should have been the frist test. I had to ask to have it done I have been to the ER and told I must have heart burn PLEASE! come on docs are smart I thought! My pain is on my right side of my back and gos though to the frount of between my ribs. Stapping and sqweezzing chest and back pain that comes stronger once or twice a min and last for hours just like a gallbladder attact. I had this back pain on my right side since I was in 8th grade a pinching feeling just under my shoulder blad that gets much worse with a attact. After I had my gallbladder out the back pain that I had almost once a day for years was gone, But now its all back. Well wish me luck I have a ultrasound this th-day i hope it end here .

I am a 29 year old mother of three and I just had my GB removed as well. I started having back pain over a year ago and had MRI's and Xrays done that all came out perfect. No doctor would believe me so I just dealt with the pain until I found one who believed me and started pain meds and physical therapy. Then, about 5 months ago I started getting chest pains that mostly occured when I had back pain. I thought I was having a heart attack or at least it felt like it. It could last anywhere from 20 minutes to 13 HOURS of excruciating pain. My doc did an EKG and an ECG which both came out fine. Then about a month and a half ago I got horribly sick. I got an attack that didn't go away, it was going on 24 hours when I started throwing up nonstop. I got rushed to the hospital with sever acute pancreatitis. I was NPO for 6 days, got clear liquids for one, and developed severe pancreatitis again, only worse. I literally almost died, they had to put an NG tube in me and pump my stomach for a day and a half because gallstones apparently were blocking my bile duct (or this is what they said they thought caused it) and I have never been so sick in my life. I guess all the bile was in my stomach literally poisoning me and my liver. The doc said my numbers for liver enzymes and amylase and lipase (pancreas) were the worst he ever saw. I was NPO for another 12 days and then I finally had my surgery. I thought it was finally over and was SO ready to move on with my life. Reading all of your posts is pretty scary to me because I just know I am going through the same thing and I just had my gall bladder removed on 9/23/09, about 2 weeks ago! I had my first attack a few days later and attributed it to "trapped air" from the surgery since they pump air into you during the operation sometimes these symptoms can occur. Only it has been two weeks now and last night I had the worst attack EVER. I woke up with back pain and in my right side. Then the chest pains starting and they have never been so bad. I felt sick to my stomach and I cried harder than ever before. I didn't think it could be worse than it used to be but now I know it CAN. It subsided after about 30 minutes but the pain was so horrific it felt like an eternity. All I could do was cry and curl up and pray for it to go away. I am terrified that there is more wrong with me. I don't think that this episode was trapped air two weeks later, it doesn't make sense. All I know is that I go to bed scared every night that I will wake up in this pain (it occurs mostly at night). I have already been through so much, they took my appendix in April thinking that was the problem. I guess it was a tiny bit infected but even they said after they took it that it wasn't causing the huge amount of pain I was in that day. I just spent almost a month in the hospital away from my three small kids and went through an ERCP, a HORRIFFIC NG tube (just hope it never comes to that they are the worst thing ever), and had my GB removed. I have literally developed a phobia of needles because my veins are bad and they were changing my IV twice a day due to losing it, they even had to stick one in my toe because I ran out of places. I woke up during the ERCP when they were taking the thing out of my stomach and it was awful. I am terrified of having more of that done but fear I have no choice. And last but not least, I am so afraid of the pain. It feels good to talk to people who know because anyone else would not understand and considering me whiny or weak. I have always been strong and dealt with my pain as best I could but after a year of pain I can't take it anymore. I just want to curl up and die sometimes when it is really bad, and now I am afraid it's going to get worse after having my GB out! Please let me know if anyone has actually found out of a post GB surgery condition and was successfully treated for it......I could really use some hope right now. Good luck all.

Guest your story really touched me. PLease keep us updated on how you're doing and keep your spirits up, okay? YOu are going to be better soon. Let us know what's up

I still have bad pain after I had my gull bladder out 4 years ago.It dosen't matter what I eat the pain goes across my stomach from right to left.Have any ideals?

I had the same problem after having my gallbladder removed several years ago. My doc dx me with colon spasms and wrote me a script for ?????? I can't remember the name. But when I feel an attack coming I put one under my tongue and it instantly goes away. I will go look in my purse for the name....Hyoscyamine. This has been a life saver for me. I believe this was my problem all along and really didn't need my gallbladder removed.

Hope this helps someone.

Hi, my name is Tina and I had my gallbladder removed on 28th April 2010. That day will be ingrained in my memory forever, as I have had nothing but problems ever since I had it done. I was sent home on the same day as I had surgery, only to be re-admitted 2 days later, in lots of pain. I was in hospital for 3 days, and they could find no reason for me to be in such severe pain. They sent me home again that weekend and I managed about 4 days at home and couldn't stand the pain I was feeling any more, so back in I went. Again, the docs couldn't find any reason for the pain, my blood tests were all clear and all scans were normal. After a week, I felt a bit better, so came home. I went for about 2 months feeling pretty good, and thought maybe I had turned the corner. How wrong was I?
About a week ago, I woke up in the middle of the night, with what felt like a gallbladder attack, and it was so bad, I got my partner to call an ambulance. By the time it arrived, the symptoms had subsided and I felt like a complete id**t for calling them out. The next day it happened again, but not as severe and settled quite quickly. The following day, I went to town with my mum and sister shopping and had the worst attack I have ever had. It started at 10am in the morning and did not subside til 11pm that night. All I could do was cry and wail, it was the worst pain I have ever experienced, and it will stay with me forvever. I went to the hospital, but the doctors again couldn't find a reason and I stayed in 3 days and they sent me home.
The doctors don't take me seriously, I seem to be treated as a bit of a moaner, its kinda like, "we can't find any reason for you to be in so much pain, all your blood tests and scans are fine, so just stop moaning and go home and get on with it". But they aren't the ones in pain. I am now so scared of it happening again. I am due to be going on holiday this weekend, and I was so looking forward to it, but am now dreading it, in case I have an attack whilst I am away. I am so worried that I will have this for the rest of my life, and have to rely on tablets, (of which I am taking 12 a day), to cope with day to day living. Not that anything helps when I am having an attack, not even morphine can settle it. I went in for the surgery thinking that it was gonna do me good, instead, it seems to have been the worst thing I have ever done, and I really regret having it. Just reading all the reports on here, in some ways brings me comfort to know I am not alone, but also despair, as some of you have been experiencing problems for many years and still have no relief from them. I just hope that one day, my symptoms will just cease to be a problem. Until then, I will just take each day as it comes, and hope for the best.

What it sounds like is Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction. It is a problem with the bile and pancreatic ducts where they are spasming out of control and the more they spasm, the more pain it causes. I have had this problem for two years now. It started on August 30, 2008. I have been to doctors who look at me to tell me that I created the pain to associate pain with eating. I have traveled to St Augustine, FL from CO to have a Dr who never even did an exam tell me that there is nothing wrong with me, even though I had an attack while I was there, and to go back to CO as he can do nothing wrong with me (as he hands me a prescription for more meds). I have had doctors tell me it is the pain of scar tissue of pulling from the removal of my gall bladder (even though it is the same pain I had prior to the removal of the gall bladder). I have had doctors tell me that I need to see a behavior therapist because the pain really does not exist. This after he cut the bile duct and diagnosed me with Sphincter of Oddi dysfunction.

I have had the manometry readings show the elevated readings for both ducts to prove they are spasming. I have had elevated Liver enzyme readings showing something is out of line with my liver. I have been hospitalized with pancreatitis multiple times. I have missed my son's state football championship game due to pancreatitis. I have missed so much of my life due to being sick one week every month for the last two years.

I know your pain and the only thing I can say is keep looking for the doctors until you find someone who is willing to help you. What I finally found was a pain doctor who did the ERCP with Manometry reading showing the elevated pressure readings. Also I found a pain Dr who did a Celiac Plexis block that showed the GI doctor that it was not in my head and to keep looking for something. And I found a great GI dr who mentioned something about about another type of potential pain and my other pain dr thought about proactively trying some other pain meds.

I just kept trying. I am not done. I am still trying to get full relief. But at least I have a group of drs who finally believe me. It took almost 18 months and probably 8 drs before I found them. And lots of tears. I wish you the best of luck.

Also, Google. Google. Google. Don't be afraid to know more than the drs. This is not a day where you can't know more than them. Keep looking for someone until you find a dr. who really knows what they are doing. If it really is SOD, you need to find someone who is very experienced, as those ducts are very sensitive.

Best of luck to you all!

I think I'm finally getting to the bottom of what's caused the pain for me...it may be peptic ulcers in my lower stomach.  The pain is like a gallbladder attack but is relieved by eating and ballistic stretching.

i am on this board reading because i have had a lot of the same problems.  I read one from George above and have to agree that Food has made the biggest difference for me.  I have cut out all pain killers, red meat, oils and dressings, butter, alcohol, all sugar (other than fruit) and of course anything fried.  I hope i can reduce my risk of another attack with the food i intake.  Another HUGE thing is plenty of water and exercise to keep things moving well.  my GI dr. in torrance, CA is great if anyone needs a referral and i have also been going to a Naturopathic dr. as well.  I have to believe that what goes into our mouths is what triggers these attacks.  i was a big wine drinker and took pain killers often for back pain, when i had the bad attack and think that must have had something to do with it.  also, i had been taking antacids....leading up to my big attack and turns out i had no stomach issues.  i think once the gallbladder is out, we are forever sensitive to that area being overworked....for our bodies to get rid of the toxins we put into our mouths.  Another great tip is the Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, i now drink it about 3 x times a day with meals to help digest my food.  i think it works.  who knows.  Good luck, i know first hand how scary it can be, because no dr.'s seem to realize how normal this problem is, not everyone has IBS in this world!  would be great if doctors would learn to figure out the source of the problem and not suggest pills to deal with only the symptoms.