Guest wrote:

I had my gall bladder removed in oct of 2000 and have been treated for sphincter of oddi dysfunction in jan of 2001 but still suffer from pain. I am admitted to the hospital two times a year with severe pain and my digestive tract is rested with only iv fluids (no food by mouth) for 7 to 10 days. No one seems to know whats wrong. The pain is so bad i cannot wear a bra and at this point so many foods trigger severe pain that i stop eating for long periods of time. Food is the biggest trigger and I have gotten worse as time has passed. I am a 40 year old mother of 3 that lives a pretty difficult life with this problem. No one seems to be able to figure out why I am suffering so much since the sphincter of oddi problem developed and was hospitalized twice for a month after the initial ERCP (I've had 5!). I am struggling to have a normal life, but living with pain and being on morphine for 5 years has weighed heavily on me. Is there any relief out there for this?

Morphine is the worse possible medicaine for you to be taking with SOD. The morphine could be whats causing you a lot of the pain. Talk to you doctor about getting on a different med. Also try a liver flush or u can even do a full body flush. U can buy them at a health food store. Talk to someone who can show u which one works best. It will help you so much. This will also help get the morphine out of your system which could be the main cause for ur pain. Try it and post back about how u feel and how ur pain is after about a week. U will be surprised!! Good Luck!!

Wendy wrote:

i am on this board reading because i have had a lot of the same problems.  I read one from George above and have to agree that Food has made the biggest difference for me.  I have cut out all pain killers, red meat, oils and dressings, butter, alcohol, all sugar (other than fruit) and of course anything fried.  I hope i can reduce my risk of another attack with the food i intake.  Another HUGE thing is plenty of water and exercise to keep things moving well.  my GI dr. in torrance, CA is great if anyone needs a referral and i have also been going to a Naturopathic dr. as well.  I have to believe that what goes into our mouths is what triggers these attacks.  i was a big wine drinker and took pain killers often for back pain, when i had the bad attack and think that must have had something to do with it.  also, i had been taking antacids....leading up to my big attack and turns out i had no stomach issues.  i think once the gallbladder is out, we are forever sensitive to that area being overworked....for our bodies to get rid of the toxins we put into our mouths.  Another great tip is the Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar, i now drink it about 3 x times a day with meals to help digest my food.  i think it works.  who knows.  Good luck, i know first hand how scary it can be, because no dr.'s seem to realize how normal this problem is, not everyone has IBS in this world!  would be great if doctors would learn to figure out the source of the problem and not suggest pills to deal with only the symptoms.

What is your Doctor's name? I'm in LB... was thinking of going to Cedars Sinai if my current surgeon, gastroenteroligist and primary doctor cannot come up with a plan of attack. Thanks!

Tonya Rivas-Rios wrote:

Wendy wrote:

Contact Dr. Oren Zaidel at Southbay Gastro 310-539-2055, they are in Torrance and VERy close to you in LB.  He is great.

I write this years later hoping to save someone the concern and worry I faced at the time.

A few times in the years following the removal of my gallbladder I had attacks, gallstone attacks (there can be no forgetting those!) and the doctors wanted to cut the Sphincter of Oddi, which they concluded finally after several ER visits--and denial by them that there could still be gallstones--but I refused. I'm glad I did, as it was the second last attack I ever had.  

Conclusion, I had small gallstones, and small stones(my surgeon told me after), a few must have already been in the bile duct when the Laparoscopic surgery took place.  Seems perfectly obvious now and so logical, just surprised the medical profession was so keen to look for other reasons or to find a more harsh solution than was necessary.  It's been 3 years since my last attack, which was a roll around on the floor woozie with some discomfort the rest of the evening.  

I now eat normally and sometimes worse.  A little too greasy sometimes.  But what used to really set me off was avocado, which is quite fatty(though healthy) and a food with one of the highest amounts of magnesium.  Magnesium relaxes the muscles(the bile duct is a muscle-Epsom salts are largely comprised of magnesium, hence such a bath relaxes people thoroughly and can even gives them 'the runs').  And then the bile in the liver is triggered by the avocado's fat content, there's then a rush of bile from the liver, down the supple relaxed bile duct, pushing on any last stones, creating an attack. Just magnesium could cause an attack or just fat, the two together... definite attack for me.

Probably 5 of my attacks before and after had been started by avocado, and I love guacamole. So, yeah, patience anyone with those attacks.  I wouldn't advocate surgery on the bile duct unless you've explored all your options and waited it out.  Eventually all the stones, pebbles, sand, will pass.  I now eat my old kryptonite, guacamole and avocados, daily.  So, yeah, this will pass, or did in my case.

I would advocate a natural cure as opposed to getting the gallbladder removed, or at least trying it.  I was too chicken but sometimes wish I had.  Your digestive system will never be perfect again but no big problems.

And to avoid ever getting gallstones, too late for that now-- too much dairy and fat, bad fat, gallstones being comprised of cholesterol or calcium.  And that's my take on it.  Hope it helps somebody. Good luck.

Mine was removed 2 years ago. Soda was what triggered them. I started drinking a soda past couple weeks and am getting that pain again. Definitely staying away from unhealthy stuff. Wouldnt have had to get gb removed if i hadnt been so oblivious to my health.

Gall Guy wrote:

So did you pass the remaining stones naturally? was there any treatment you used that you could share with us? I had 3 attacks before my gallbladder was removed, and yesterday (5 days after my surgery) I had another attack. I don't know if is because my body is just on a healing process, or if there is something else wrong. I hope was just a one time thing, but still will like to know about similar cases.
Appreciate your reply..

joie_de_livre wrote:

I had my gallbladder removed two years ago, and I'm still getting attacks! They aren't quite as bad as the attacks I had before my surgery, but they're still extremely painful and incapacitating. What can I do about this?

I have not had any gb attacks as you have (my condolences!), but have also thought of getting my gb removed due to a large gallstone and frequent aching and a heavy feeling there, but then found out it is better not to remove it-- because removal does not stop the liver from forming gallstones! The gb is not what forms the stones- it is the liver!! and you can't remove that! I also found out that, only in China or Japan do they have successful surgery to remove the STONES and keep the gb (read a medical report),--but in this country, I was unable to find any surgeon who did that-- even in good old Boston! I made an appt with a gastrosurgeon/Harvard Med. School instructor last fall. No luck. I kept looking, though, and found a product (I get no kickbacks!) called Gallbladder Complete. I think you should give it a try before doing surgery, I have ordered 2 bottles, as my achiness may just get worse (oh yeh- the gallstone is 2.4 CM!).Your surgeon will prob. laugh at you if you ask him about it- my surgeon thought "a bad gb is always a bad gb," but I don't beleive that, and my doc thankfully doesn't, either. You need to look out for yourself- surgeons get paid to remove gbs! Check out the Testimonials, call the company if you want. check the info about using the product-- and pls consider it. You only waste 50.00 to get 2 bottles, if it doesn't work (and I bet it will). They say the product really cuts the pain too, and can eliminate any stones. Yes, you would have to use the product now and again to keep stones from forming later, and prob. have an ultrasound once a year to keep track of them. Is it worth all that to keep your gb? Well, you decide, after reading this FAQ from the site - (a person's question and answer):
I HAD MY GALLBLADDER REMOVED ALMOST 2 YEARS AGO BUT CONTINUE TO HAVE SYMPTOMS OFF AND OFF SINCE THEN. I SUSPECT THAT THERE MAY BE A STONE LEFT IN THE DUCT. WILL YOUR PRODUCT WORK UNDER THESE CIRCUMSTANCES?

The liver is what is imbalanced. The gallbladder only acts as a reservoir for the bile produced by the liver or at least did before your surgery. If an imbalance existed before, the likelihood is that it still exists, even after the gallbladder is removed. Removal of the gallbladder does not correct the imbalance as most individuals discover following surgery, nor does it prevent the liver from producing stones. Usually it creates additional problems such as a liver that now retains stones that it creates, (no place to go) increased acid reflux, a slower metabolism and additional weight gain because the bile flow has been restricted.

Gallbladder Complete will remove stones, debris and toxins from the liver just as it would in the gallbladder, rebalance the liver's bile flow, mineral levels and pH, speed up the metabolism again and in doing this, the issues of pain, indigestion, acid reflux, bloating, upset stomach, and others issues and symptoms will disappear.

Good luck! :)

I would like to know the website I'm experiencing what I call phantom gallbladder attacks they aren't as severe as before my surgery but it's been a yr and a half I shouldnt be having pain.

Thank you for your time. Shawna

i am from india,mumbai vasai,i have my gal bladder removed still getting pain in stomach can i get relief from this method of chinese,if so give me proper contact number n address or tel me remedies.

try Dr. Dorine Karlin (naturopathic dr. in santa MOnica) OR dr. Oren Zaidel in Torrance at SouthBay Gastroenterologists....

abigail824 wrote:

I had my gallbladder out in Feb 07 and I still get sick every time I eat. It doesn't matter what I eat- there is no pattern. I get nauseated after eating pretty much anything. I had an xray of my small intestine with the barium swallow, I had an upper gi, and blood taken to see if its celiac or crones disease. They have all come back normal. Could this be the sphincter of oddi dysfunction? I am really at my wits end here- getting sick all the time is no fun as most of you know. I have a follow up with my dr after all these tests next week and I wonder if I should mention the sphincter of oddi thing. Its weird because I don't feel much pain- just terrible nausea. I swear I am popping pepto bismol like theres no tomorrow and that can't be good either. I also take phenergran when its really bad but I am almost out of that. I had that when I had my gallbladder problems in the beginning.

It could be the sphincter of oddi dysfunction. They are putting off taking my granddaughter's GB out. One says he thinks it should come out the other is thinking it's sphincter of oddi dysfunction. I was told you can still get stones after GB removal and that they can slightly snip the sphincter of oddi to help with pain. You had your GB out so it could be the sphincter of oddi. I sure would mention it. We are hoping they will take my granddaughter's GB out and also snip the sphincter of oddi so there might not be a chance of any problem in the future. Hope you get help.

My wife had her gallbladder out and had these exact attacks for almost six months. No one could figure it out and many people seemed to think she was crazy. I knew she was not as I would see doubled over in agonizing pain for 30 minutes at a time every few weeks. We had used a great acupuncturist who had helped us get pregnant. She went to see him and hediagnosed her with costal costochondritis at the chondrosternal joints. Costochondritis is inflammationof the junctions where the upper ribs join with the cartilage that holds them to the breastbone or sternum. The condition causes localized chest wall pain and tenderness that you can reproduce by pushing on the involved cartilage in the front of the rib cage. He pushed this area when she went in and she screamed in pain like having an attack. I think pushing on her during the operation or maybe the incision effected this area and certain things trigger these attacks. Dr. Du has been treating this for the past 5 months and we have only had one attack since (1 month after the first treatment). It has been a God send. If you have questions or want to talk to me,

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Our doctor is in Roswell, GA and his name is Tianlong Du. Dr. Du is the man. I’d like to help anyone who suffers these terrible attacks so if you want a quick phone call, I’m glad to call you to discuss. Best of luck!

I'm dealing with the exact same thing. except if I don't take my pain meds every single day I will end up in the er with severe pain and massive violent vomiting attacks that dont stop until I get huge doses of iv dilaudid. doctors say its functional abdominal pain syndrome. and have no idea how to treat it. its BS cuz doctors think I'm lying his trying to get drugs, but I've Bern dealing with this for almost 6 years now and I'm only 24 :( I dono what to do cuz I hate being on pain killers but I also hate ambulance rides and doctors period. just wish it would stop

Guest wrote:

Theres a support website for sphincter of oddi if you are interested at all feel fre to contact me for the site

month after the initial ERCP (I've had 5!). I am struggling to have a normal life, but living with pain and being on morphine for 5 years has weighed heavily on me. Is there any relief out there for this?

Good Afternoon.

Could I please have the details of the support website.

Kind Regards
Donna

I am wondering if you've tried, or thought about going to a nutritionist? Not a dietitian, but a nutritionis, or nutrition response therapist. I am trying to get into one right now, because of a number of things, but now I do have pain/pressure right where my gallbladder used to be.
My mom and step dad have been going to one for several years, now, and so many of their ailments are no more. I'm not saying that conventional medicine doesn't have it's place, but so many times, they deal with the symptoms, not the source of what's going on, and they don't even know how to find it.
And don't be surprised if you ask your doctor about it and they say it's bull pucky. It's rare to find a doctor that is completely supportive of natural diagnosing and healing.