Well I am training to be a doctor, this happened to me and I went to the doctor to check it straight away, doctor gave me medicine.

Well go do the doctor! This is an emergency! Gooooooo now! Rescue your life 

This just happened to me and I'm healthy, and after much testing with my body, I realized this is completely normal, just that we never felt before for one reason or another. I rotated my torso with open mouth and the rubbing noise was there (hard to say where it was coming from, but I think the back of the throat or diaphragm) and then rotating again with close mouth ie, impeding the air flow, and no noise at this time. I could only conclude that, with open mouth, and rotation of torso, we actually compress the lungs, and because the lungs ALWAYS have air on them, with the compression, the air would flow through the only way possible: throat and mouth, in an involuntary movement, and then the noise would be perceptible to us. Of course, there is no pain. If you feel something is not right, check with the doctor.

Same thing for me! I asked my older sister and she said she started noticing that in her a few years ago, and now I'm the same age she was and I'm noticing it in me. I think it's perfectly normal and just something that changes with age.

This first happened to me was a couple days ago, and hasn't happened again yet, and the first thing I did was try to figure out what in the hell just happened. After searching, I've found that many many people have had this same phenomenon happen to them, but that this doesn't seem to be recognized by the medical field yet. I've just been calling it utrem-canite-pulmenem, which are the Latin words of bottle blown lung(I call it this because my first thought was of making noise with bottles and the air getting pulled out.) I figured that if people start associating it with an actual name, it might be easier to get it noticed by a doctor or someone who can actually inspect and research this.

First noticed i made this sound 3-4 years ago, just now deciding to look it up. And HOTDOG am i surprised how many people experience this phenomenon. I'm even more shocked at how there doesnt seem to be a definitive answer. So i'm 19yr male, the sound happens when i do trunk twists(elbows fully raised and out to the side whilst twisting, head kept straight). It sounds as if the air inside gets shifted around, but could also be described as a grinding noise. Seems to be "just a noise" seeing as i can only hear it when my mouth is open. I've always been fairly athletic, actually just spent the last couple of weeks whipping myself into shape. No breathing/lung issues- that i know of. I twist my torso pretty much everyday to warm up/pop my back, never any pain or discomfort. Sound only happens when my mouth is open. So my little advice would be if you feel like it's not an issue, then it probably isn't. But definitely make a note to mention it next doctor visit.

First comment I read that made sense.

i had the same symptoms, turns out to be the hamman syndrome, it's a little amount of air that is trapped between the heart and the lung, everytime the heart beats, it pushes against the trapped air and that makes the weird clicking noise, after a while (1 -3 days) the trapped air resorbs and the noise was gone, there isn't really a cure for this but it actually isn't dangerous..

Hi everyone, just thought it might be useful to share.. this exact same thing just started happening to me for the first time ever after my chiropractor massaged my diaphragm (apparently it was really tight).. So I'm 99% sure it's linked to the diaphragm. I'm not worried!

Just told my boyfriend about this and he tried it and his chest makes the exact same noise!

I believe it can caused by the tightening of a spinal muscle that is connected to the diaphram, and every time there is is shifting in that muscle it pulls the diaphram causing a change it pressure. Thus causing a sound that sounds like a mini-breath. I had this happen right after doing yoga and stretches specifically linked to the Psoas muscle that links from the pelvis to the a small part of the diaphragm. I just started stretching this muscle because I have been having hip and back pain. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Same here and im worried i think the sound is coming from my throat.

Are you standing near the clock?

I have/had the same issue. Been doing yoga for some months back to back and my chest cracked during some sessions. Ever since yoga, the sound has been getting lower and lower. Almost gone...

I also have this and the answer is a small flap of skin in your throught caused by gasritus or gurd. Doc said not a big deal.