Just read all the comments and there doesn't seem to be a definite answer. From what I've read its either : A flap of skin in the throat? ; A tight spinal muscle connected to the diaphragm which can be massaged out ; or a pocket of air between the heart and lungs that will go in time. Also I have a condition called Pectus Excavatum (Basically a big arse friggin' hole halfway through my chest, not a curse from a crazy witch) just wondering if anyone experiencing the symptoms also has this?

Hello!! I just stood up and after hanging with my friend, sort of shook myself off my moving my shoulders up and down (right left right left..) in a rather silly looking way, honestly. But as I did that to loosen some sore muscles, there was a breathy rasp, that felt like having air sucked from my lungs, COMING from my lungs. It was an audible rasp, inside and outside of my body! Is this weird sound/feeling normal? I've read that it is, I just want to make sure.

For me I have very rigid costovertebral joints in my mid to upper spine (osteo diagnosed). I get the raspy breath sounds (no clicking, i think that is another issue all together) when I rotate my upper body *and* when i'm most sore in my back. I personally believe it's due to the rigidity of the costovertebral joins and compression of the lungs by the rib cage which facilitates the rotation (to a degree) when the costovertebral joints are stiff/locked up.

Guys, what's happening to me? I open my mouth and this noise comes out when I rotate my upper body like there is bones grinding against each other... I hope it's nothing serious guys... It's been going on for a few weeks but I feel fine and not sick of anything.

jhuehrnfwa weofi h w

Don't worry about it! Many people seem to experience this, I think it could be caused in part by friction and also because of air being forced out of the lungs:

Twisting exercise movements can make you emit a wheeze. “Your body creates noise similarly to the way a wind instrument generates sound,” says Raymond Casciari, MD, chief medical officer of St. Joseph Hospital in Orange, CA. When you twist, air that’s forced out of the lungs or stomach passes through a narrowed airway, causing that wheezing sound.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Does a chiropractor work , I have the same issue

Hi Joseph. I also have pectus excavatum. I've been noticing this noise since 2012... I'm still here so guess it's normal!

Latakia Latakia Latakia

I'll summarize some of the important points:

Common traits of those with 'strange sound'
- Athletic -- many weight lifters and dancers
- GERD (acid reflux) -- the vast majority of posters suffer from acid reflux
- Poor posture
- Respiratory conditions -- several occurrences of bronchitis, asthma and the like.
- Clicking in chest/back/shoulders

Conclusions:
1. Pleurisy -- "inflammation of the tissue layers (pleura) lining the lungs and inner chest wall"
- This link ( https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2714564/ ) suggests that there is a link between asthma and GERD, and that resulting bronchoconstriction can change pleural pressure **which changes pressure between thorax (spine) and abdomen.** Perhaps this pressure change results in these strange noises.

2. Costochondritis -- From what I've read it has to do with inflammation of upper ribs.
- One poster in the forum topic I linked was diagnosed with this condition by his doctor. Interestingly, according to WebMD it is usually preceded by exercise and/or a respiratory condition. GERD is not an official cause or symptom, but there are numerous reports of GERD coinciding with costochondritis.

I believe some form of pleurisy to be the most probable cause, as I don't suffer from common symptoms of costochondritis. However, keep in mind that I'm not a doctor. I've just been reading reports of these symptoms for the last three hours ;-)

Solutions (reported by forum posters to be effective)
- Hanging from pull-up bar
- Hanging upside down
- Strengthening 'subscapularis muscles' 
- Yoga 'Dancer's pose'
- Posture strengthening
- Chiropractor

Hope I was able to help a little.

Heey from what if seen its making this breathing sound because air is moving from one lung to another.

When you move your torse side ways your ribcage moves in and out. Wich will compress the lung you are rotating to and will expand the other. To balance out the air between your lungs the air from the compressed lung will move from the bronchie in to the expanded lung. You might think air cant be moving from one lung to the other, it can!

Notice while you do this there is no air going in or out your mouth this is because the air is moving from one lung to the other thats why there is no air floating in or outside your mouth.

Im not a doctor but this makes sense to me. So if you feel like getting medical attention i wont be holding you back.

Sorry for my English if its not correct :D

I am experiencing the same too. Do you know what is it about? Thank you

I remember dissecting a sheep's lung and noticing that the windpipe is like a stiff corset. This happens to me too. It sounds like the windpipe rubbing against something. The lungs or the heart maybe? I can feel it more in the left side and it's louder there. That's why when you open your mouth it's louder. Apparently it's normal because I asked my parents yesterday, but my dancer friend never has that problem.

Hey everyone, I've read everything on this thread but my dustyation is slightly different. 17 year old male, I just got home from work (fast-food) and I always bike home from work (it's about 15 minutes, not too difficult). I was looking in the mirror and just kinda rotating my shoulders and I heard this same strange breathy noise coming from my chest. I did it for a good minute because I thought it was cool and strange but now the centre of my chest hurts right under where my ribcage meets? Only when I inhale though? I'm laying down now and I live in a small town and i can't drive hour to the doctor, anybody got anything useful to help me?