Hi guys.

My dad has a cat since I was living with him. Nobody knows how old she is. I suppose that she is now around 8 or 9 years. For the last couple of days he has problems with his back. He can’t jump high as he used to and he is acting very weird. Vet did some analyses and he told them that he has some pain hear his back. He gave some medications to my dad but those medications didn’t helped them. Vet thinks that some physical trauma happened a few months ago.

I don’t know what to tell my dad because he is desperate: /

I was wondering do you know any treatment for back pain in older cats?

Hey there Carla :)

Cats won’t usually show pain. That is in their nature. Older cats are really hard to handle with back pain, but still they won’t show it. It is very complicated to tell what are the best ways to treat back pain especially in older cats.

I know that my mom is having problems with her cat and she needed to go to the surgery. After surgery she was pretty much fine, but she was not that old.

What about some medications? Maybe you can ask you vet to prescribe something that will kill the pain?

Hey everyone. I have a cat and she is almost eight years old. When she was seven, she started to be annoying and sick all the time. She never showed any symptom of pain, so basically that was a mice – cat play :) I was taking her to the vet very often and he helped me to diagnose what is wrong with her. When we found out that she has back pain I needed to give some pain killers to her. Massage didn’t help her because she is old. Now I think that medications are the only solution. Good luck.

Hey there.

Thank you so much for your advice. I am aware that cats won’t show pain very often, but he is really concerned since some medications are not helpful at all. I am rally wondering why that is. Is here any reasonable explanation?

He also tried to give a massage to her, he even tried to relieve the pain with some bath with essential oils, but it seems that nothing is helpful.

I know that he is very close with this cat and that he loves her.   If you know any medications that can help her, please let me know. I will tell them to ask their vet to prescribe that medication for their cat.

Hey there. I hope that you are doing fine. According to my experience, there are just a few things that you can do when your cat is having problem with back pain. Generally, older cats are getting weaker so they have bigger chance for back pain. You should keep in your mind that many medications are not safe for cats. I definitely would try veterinary chiropractic care because they are affordable for every pet owner and they can be very effective. Pet massage is also got, it can help reduce inflammation and pain in damaged tissues. You should try some of those.

Hey guys,

Carla, you need to know what caused her back pain. I believe that in most cases, this is caused by a slipped disk.

Slipped disk is not hard to treat, as long as you notice it before it is too late. If your cat is diagnosed with a slipped disk, she will need a cage and she will have to stay still for about two weeks (this is especially hard for cats). Her being steady, plus pain killer medications should do the trick here, and she should be better after about two weeks time.

In case you notice her back problems late, she might have to undergo a surgery. 

Hey Carla,

You need to understand that you cannot treat something without knowing what caused it. Your vet was supposed to find this out, and not just suppose what could be the issue. 

Medications like anti-inflammatory steroids or antibiotics can be used to treat infections and illnesses that affect the spine and spinal muscles. If your cat has cancer or a spinal infection, she might have to undergo surgery. Or if she has a slipped disk, she might have to stay still for 15 days before the disk itself gets into his position, as Mima said.

But you really need to find out what caused her back pain first.

Hey everyone,

I think that massages are a good thing to do in this case, but you should be very careful and gentle because she has back pain, right?

In a lot of cases, back pain is happening because your cat is getting older and her spine just isn't what it used to be. In some cases, injury is a problem, she might have fell somewhere or got attacked by another cat. You have diseases which affect the spine, plus it can easily mean that she has cancer, as well.

Each of these causes are treated differently so you will have to find out what is her problem in order to treat it.