Hello. A few days ago, I have notice that my cat is licking her leg frequently. First, I was thinking that she is cleaning her leg, but she is doing this every day, a couple of times. I think that she has some rash on her right leg, and today, I have notice that little amount of the hair is missing. Anyway, she is pretty much outdoor cat, she is always out , she is seven years old. Is there anything that can help me cure her from this rash? Do I need to visit the vet? Maybe he will give me something. 

Hey there. There is no need to panic, rash is very common for them, so it isn't a big deal. But it doesn't mean you can ignore it. First you should wait one or two more days to see how it's going. Often cats and dogs are able to cure themselves by licking it, and that's why they do that. If it happens that it's still the same or maybe worse, then definitely you should take your cat to the vet, he will give her some medications and it will pass very quickly. But first, give your cat some time, they know what they are doing, trust me :)

Well taking your cat to the vet when she has a rash is certainly the best option, but I must admit I’ve never done that. And I am having cats ever since I was eleven.

Vet visits are so expensive nowadays, sometimes they don’t help you at all but they charge you the same as if they eliminated the problem.

That’s why I always treat rashes at home, and luckily I’ve never had major problems. I have aloe vera at home, I keep it in my balcony. I learned how to take the gel out of it and I use it for the rash. So far, so good.

Hey there. Well, I can really talk from my own experience, because I had this problem a few months ago. It was nothing serious, tnx God, but I can’t say that I was a little bit scared. So, as soon as I saw that the hair is missing on my cat’s leg, I went to see the vet. He told me that the best option is some natural treatment,  but he recommended me to apply Neosporin on this area. It really helped me very soon, but do not cover it. I am pretty sure that everything will be totally OK with your cat :)

Hello there, so I went to see the vet and I have to say that I came back really furious. He told me that this is totally OK, and that I should not be worried, that this rash will disappear very soon, because my cat lick this area. When I asked him is there anything to apply on her leg, he told me that I don’t need to do that, because her leg will be cured very soon – because she licks it. But, I am not so sure. I am going to visit another vet, and I will see what he is going to recommend me. 

Hm…totally unprofessional :/ I know that feeling, because I had exactly the same situation, but now I have a vet and I would not change him for anything. Any new news today? Did you find the vet? Because, this rash can be caused by a lot of different things. For example, my neighbor’s cat had this problem, and it was contact dermatitis. The symptoms of this condition include itchy bumps, red bumps and pretty much inflamed skin on the infected area. That is why you need to visit the vet, because he can tell you the best treatment, if this is the reason why your cat has this problem….

My cat also had a rash on her leg half year ago so I think I can help. At least, I will share my experience so you can maybe find some useful  information.

When my cat had a rash, one friend of mine told me that the best thing I can do is to wrap her leg so she will stop licking that spot. I've done that but when I removed the wrap after a couple of days the rash was still there. I didn't know what to do. 

However, that very day a colleague from work told me that I made a mistake wrapping the rash because the cat can cure it by licking it.

That's exactly what happened. She had been licking that spot for about two or three days and the rash totally disappeared.

I will sound cold-hearted, but I think your vet is right and you don’t need another opinion. In my experience, cat’s saliva has enough antibodies to heal the rash.

Also, your vet didn’t tell anything about the cause of the rash, so I think it’s something benign.

I can only recommend you to soothe your cat’s skin with some chamomile tea. I’m pretty sure her rash will be healed in several days.

Wait for a couple of days and if you don’t see any improvement of her condition, seek another vet. But I am pretty much sure all will be resolved on its own.