I'm a college student. I just found out I'm pregnant at least 4-6 months that was the approximated guess my doctor made today. I want an abortion because I'm not prepared to be a mom and I'm not financially stable. I don't work and have no relationship with the father any more even though we were very careful because I never wanted to be pregnant. I had also suffer an eating disorder before and my doctor told me that my baby could probably be born anemic too and I wouldn't want that for the baby and I lost wait instead of gaining wait. Someone please tell if an abortion is painful or how does it work? because I schedule one for this Saturday and don't know what to expect.

Depends on your pain threshhold. If you are further along (ie: more than 16 weeks) they will need to do a bit more to dilate your cervix for the procedure.

For me, the manual dilation was excruciating. However for some women, the pain is minimal. If you go under general sedation, you won't feel the pain during the procedure. It really will depend

i heard the if they put you under the sedation it will be less pain but more risky?? how long did it take you to do the basics things?? how long had you been pregnant? I'm sorry if I'm asking too many question I just want to be prepare

I've only had the procedure done at 2 months or less. The only increased risk that comes from general anesthetic is your own reaction history to it. Some people react better than others.

I know that there are some extra steps required for a D&E (webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/dilation-and-evacuation-de-for-abortion) and sometimes it can increase the duration.

There is nothing wrong with asking questions because being prepared is extremely important. Just know that if you are going to have the procedure done at a Planned Parenthood or other safe location, you really have very little to worry about. It is done every single day and the chances of problems are rare

My procedure is going to be done at Planned Parenthood and it makes it a little more relaxing to hear that reminder that they do this every day I'm really scare of that things I heard about death or anything related to that I just don't feel ready for this responsibility at this moment. Did it take you very long to back to general life or where you in bed for a couple of days? because I'm at home rite now and can't tell my parents and my closes friends are going with me this Saturday for that procedure.

I was at 8w 6d and honestly, I drove 4 hours after mine making sure to get up and walk a bit halfway through. You should rest for as long as you feel you need and you will have some cramping so just make sure to follow your aftercare instructions to the letter and you should have nothing to worry about.

Just remember you need to rest the first day, even a little. The next day most people are up and back to work/school.

Ok. Thanks because i was scare the I wouldn't be able to walk the day after. Do you still think of your baby?

I was in a unique situation.. I was told I had to terminate by a doctor who it turns out was lying to me. So I mourn for a bit of a different reason. I wanted my pregnancy, I had already ordered a crib and had clothes. Yes, I miss my baby. I still cry every single day because had I not been lied do, I'd still be pregnant. It isn't something most people have to consider

I have had terminations before.. I've thought about those pregnancies but they don't crush my heart the way the last one did. There is a bit of regret for needing them, but I don't regret doing it and it doesn't hurt or ache to think about. It was the right thing, the necessary thing and so..I can't say I'm sad about them

You'll have some emotions afterward but it's expected, sweetie. Your hormones aren't going to help any because it's part of the process. Just know that if you DO find yourself sad, it's completely normal and it doesn't mean you are doing/did the wrong thing.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation but you didn't know. But Thank you so much I don't really have any one that has gone through it to talk to or ask and your information was extremely helpful. Thank you so much.

I went through it alone the first time and don't wish that on anyone. it's no trouble

Kelym, can you send me an e-mail? My e-mail is ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

I have a close friend who had an abortion, she attempted suicide afterwords, on the anniversary of the abortion, because of depression. I have another friend who still regrets her abortion after 20 years! It might seem like the best choice right now, but years down the road...it will seem otherwise. Trust me, I've seen it happen. :( Here is a site with testimonies of some women who have gotten abortions-- ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

You already are a mother, Kelym, and your child is totally dependent on you. I can get support for you and her! I have tons of connections with pregnancy resource groups, and can hook you up with help and support (even financial!). You have options, and you are NOT alone.

Here is a video you might like watching, it might give you something new to think about.
***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

There IS hope, Kelym. :D

No, what she has is a fetus. She doesn't have a child unless she wants to continue the pregnancy which she has stated she doesn't

Just because YOUR friend was severely emotionally disturbed does not mean that the OP will have that problem and honestly I find it to be a disgusting thing to do to sit around on boards where women want support for their legal choice to have a termination and use it as a chance to fill their heads with lies and emotional pro-life propaganda.

My mother had an abortion 30 years ago. has it crossed her mind? yep. Does she mourn it? no. She did what was best and will tell you that to this day. Not every woman regrets it years later. It's been 5 years since the first I had. It doesn't cross my mind more than once or twice in a year and even then it's more of a "oh..right..hunh" thought.

I'm sorry for your friends lost and to hear of her story but I'm completely sure the I want to proceed with the abortion I went today to get an Ultra Sound they told me it's berly 20 weeks and my abortion procedure is moved up to friday. I'm still extremely scare but I'm going to assist counseling rite after because I want to prevent ideas of suicide and such. I know that I will never forget this baby but I'm not ready to be a mother I want that best for it and I know I can't do that rite now and Adoption seem like a pretty good option but personally for me this one is the best. My baby will be in God's hand in a better place then I could provided for it rite now.

Peeje : you have gave alot of help even if I don't know you just by talking with some one that's been through it (you) makes me think that I'm not a horrible person for making this decision.

You are not a terrible person. No one that has a termination is a terrible person, hon. Never for a moment let it cross your mind that you are terrible.

I'm very glad that you're getting the care you need for the procedure

Thank You. I'll remenber that. For now I'm trying to stay positive that all that procedure will go fine and that nothing will go wrong.