I just found out that my Y offers these classes (at least this month they do). What's the % of women to men in these?

They're listed as 'All Skill Levels'. Does that mean Lance Armstrong and my grandmother will be in the same class and getting the same workout?

In the classes I've attended the percentage of women is approx. 73%. The levels of class vary depending on the teacher. But I can ride beside you and we can be riding at a different pace depending on how we set our brake on the wheel. Personally, I don't care for the classes that have alot of jumping. (You ride while standing and sitting and they call that jumping.) Most classes will consist of a few sprints and a few hill climbs. It's a great cardio workout and good cross training. Plan on bringing a water bottle and towel. You will definately sweat your bootie off!

I sometimes go to the spin class at my gym. I would think it would vary, but our makeup seems to be about 60% women, 40% men. We get all levels, but since you set your own resistence you can get whatever type of workout you want. Since I am usually using it as crosstraining on an off running day I tend to take it pretty easy.

I take them at the local YMCA as well. They are usually small classes ( 10-12 people) and on average the ration is 2-3 guys to 8 - 9 women. I say on average becuae there are classes where there might only be one guy, or none, but I have also been in classes where there are more men than women.

One thing I have noticed; the classes at the Y are a value (ours are $100 additional for 1 year unlimited) but you have to get to know the instructors. Some will push you; some will not. I have noticed in non-Y spinning classes that almost all of the instructors tend to be more agressive.

It's definitely a good workout! Let me know if you have any other questions.

I second most everything. I've done a lot of spin classes because I used them to train for the MS 150.

From what I've experienced, its about 40-60 men-women. And for ability it does depend a lot on the instructor. The ones at my gym are fantastic, which is why our classes are packed. And certain instructors draw more guys. You do set your own pace and resistance but if you have a good instructor, even if you're taking it easy its a pretty tough workout.

I love them. I think doing spin classes and the strengthening that is involved with them is the only way I completed the MS 150, particularly the hilly sections.