Hey there.

My Lisa is having problem with hard stool recently. She was at my sister’s house because my niece wanted her to be with her for a while :)

I just can’t describe this love between two of them :)

She was there almost three weeks and you just can imagine a little girl that is 7 years old with a dog.

She was feeding her with everything.

Maybe that is the reason because she has a hard stool.

Actually, I am sure.

Can you tell me can I give her Metamucil? My friend told me that this will help my Lisa.

But I would rather know what food is the best for hard stool.

Tnx a lot.

Hello there. Yes, I just can imagine that loved :) I suppose that she was feeding her with cookies, chocolate and everything that she eats.
I would not use Metamucil. It is good, ok, but I think that better solution is food – definitely.
For example, this can help your dog.
Add canned pumpkin to her meal every day. In every meal. The dosage can range from 1/8 for smaller dogs and ½ of tablespoons for large dogs. You should start with ¼ tablespoon and then increase it.
Wheat bran is good and you can add it to every meal. The dosage is the same as for pumpkin.
You can put your dog on high fiber diet. But you need to consult your vet.
Add water in food every time.

My sister’s dog has constant problems with hard stool. First we thought it’s just something temporary but then she called me a week after it happened to tell me that his stool is still hard every day. We took him to the vet but after some examinations he told us that everything is fine and he suggested that we should try using some probiotics along with the food. They’re supposed to be very good for the stool balance and for digestion. We tried that for several days and it got better. Maybe you should try it and let us know did it help.

Yeah probiotics are great for digestion and what I love about them is that they’re not at all harmful like many other supplements, they’re practically the same as those natural probiotics that you can find in kefir and in yogurt. 

So I would definitely suggest those. And as for the food, what can certainly help for hard stool in dogs are dark green leafy veggies. You can cook them for both you and your dog since they’re tasteful too.

And please, PLEASE don’t give your dog laxatives for humans - buy Lactulose which is specially made for pets, ok?  You’re welcome.:)

You know what you should do? You should cook food for your dog every day.

Sometimes we wonder why our dogs have hard stool and we look for some less obvious reasons, and the reason is right in front of us- we feed them with dry kibble every single day, most of us!

Add fiber to your dog’s diet! Coconut fiber, pumpkin, green veggies.

Give him aloe vera juice.

Buy raw unfiltered organic apple cider vinegar, it is well known to improve digestion. And not to forget Psyllium husk powder- great fiber source.

Don’t go with fiber meant for humans and like someone above me said, don’t even think of human laxatives.

Hello. It can be really big problem for your dog. Hard stool can make a lot of troubles and pain for your lovely pet. That is why you need to react soon. Maybe some meds can help him, but diet program and food that you are giving to him are really significant. Whenever my dog is having problems with stool I am feeding him with several things that are helpful. But my favorite thing definitely is yogurt. It is really amazing for the intestinal balance. Pumpkin is good for the fiber but I am kind a fan of yogurt. Good luck.

Hey there.
When my dog had a hard stool I made a huge mistake. That is why I am here He was dealing with hard stool after he ate some boiled eggs and some bones. It is my husband’s fault – he was sure that dog can eat everything. I was not there and when he told me about this I almost lost my mind. But I was not smart at all after this little incident. I didn’t know what to feed him so I gave him human laxative. Months and months of digestive problems, infusions, etc were needed. Please, don’t do this. If you don’t know how to treat your dog in this case ask someone who has experience.
Don’t do the same mistake as I did.

You should definitely change diet program for your dog. I agree that you should try adding fiber to your dog’s stool. Fiber is no absorbed by the dog’s digestive tract and continues on to the colon where it adds volume of stool. I recently read this solution and it makes sense :)

You can buy special, high fiber diet. The good one is Hill’s W/D diet. Sometimes your dog will refuse to eat it. In that case you can try to feed him with bran cereal, canned and pure pumpkin and you can give him Metamucil. Your vet should recommend the right dose for your pet.