Hi. I’m Emily. I work at this pet shop which was opened recently in my neighborhood. I don’t have a lot experience with pets but people that come to buy food for their pets somehow assume that since I work there I must be an expert when it comes to animals. And that’s not even partially true. They keep asking me questions about their pets. I keep meeting cat owners who have lumps on their paws. They ask me what could’ve caused those lumps and they seem very surprised when I tell them that I don’t have the slightest idea of what might have caused it. Can you tell me what are the usual causes of paw lumps in cats so I can tell them the next time?

Guilty as charged. :)  I always assume that people who work in pet shops need to go through some special

training and that they need to know a lot about animals. And they usually do. You’ve just started working,

and you are going to learn a lot of things about pets only by listening and talking everyday with your

costumers. You’ll see.

And as for the causes of paw lumps, it could be several things. The most common cause is some injury or

some foreign object stuck between the toes. The lump can appear due to the infection caused by that foreign

object.

Hey darling :)

Awkward situation :) I agree that people who are working in the pet shops must know a lot of things about pets :) But, I am sure that you will learn how to deal with it :)

You can research about some diseases and issues that pets usually can get. You can find a lot of helpful answers here on this site.

But you need to keep on your mind that you are only working in the pet shop and that you are not a vet, ok? You can help your customers but you can’t tell them what the best is when their pet is in pain.

On topic, usually some nail or glass can cause lumps on paws in cat. It has to be injury.

It can be a bug bite and it can be some infection.

It can be skin tumor which I hope that it is not.

Any of those customers have describe you how paws in their cats looks?

That can be really helpful.

Hello. Emily, I really don’t know how you work there. Don’t get me wrong please, but like Mima told you, you need to attend some training to learn a few things about this. This is all normal, I am sure that you will learn it. Like others already informed you, lumps on paws in cats can be caused by many different reasons. There are also a big possibility that some infection caused this, but just to be sure you need to tell all your customers to visit the vet. I have to agree with Millie-Cat – you work in the pet shop, you are not a vet.

Hey there Emm. This can happen to anyone.

You will learn a lot about pets when you meet all those people who have problems with their pets.

Usually the main cause of the lump is nail or something like that. Cats are really playful pets and they often jump everywhere. So I believe that this is the cause.

But you should know that several changes on skin can be caused by tumor. That is why you need to tell this lady to visit the vet, just to be sure. If this is not tumor it can be some infection. This requires a treatment. In both cases.

Ok guys, don’t get all upset.
First of all I told you that I’ve just started working here and may I just mention that nobody ever asked me to have a training or anything like that. When I was filling my job application I had the impression that it’s all about communication skills and working hours, nobody wanted to know if I am good with animals.
If they told me I need to educate myself in order to work there, I would never fill the application in the first place.
Thank you for your answers, I appreciate it.

For a minute there Emm, I thought that the people who own cats were the ones with lumps on their PAWS. Was laughing so hard.

Anyway, it’s all cool about your job, you’ll learn.

Lumps on cat’s paws are nothing to worry about (it could be a tumor but it’s very, very rare). Cats are always on the move, unless you are keeping them in your house all the time. It’s usually caused by a foreign object, something like a sting, needle, etc.

You can advise them to take a closer look at their cat’s paws and search for any objects. If they can’t find anything, make them go to the vet. Force them. :)

Well this is very funny situation :) I have to confess you that I am laughing because this whole situation is kind of – sweet :)

I don’t believe that other people are upset and I am pretty sure that you will learn about this job. I can see that you love this job.

Personally I think that you don’t need to act like you are a vet. Next time when someone asks you this question, you should tell them that this is a simple lump that can’t cause so much issues. It can be tumor, but it is really rare. Almost impossible.

There are so many natural remedies that can help cat owners to get rid of lumps on paws of their cats.

Good luck at your job.

Good day folks.

I was a volunteer in the pet shop a few years ago. Actually it was a pet shop from my cousin so I got there very easy.

I didn’t need to know a lot about animals. He told me that I all I need to do is how to deal with money. But I wanted to help all my customers as much as I could. I started to learn about pets and it was successful. I want to tell you that I do understand what you are going through and you have all my support. Very often people were asking me about this satiation – about lumps on paws in cats. There is one thing that I have learned there.

Girl, take it easy. It is nothing serious. Usually it is cause your cat is restless. 

Hi there,

And hi Emm, I hope you already learned a lot while working in a pet shop. And I hope that you are, at least, ready to help people who are asking you about their cats which have lumps on their paws. Always recommend them to go the vet first. Then, tell them what you know about the condition they are asking about. In this specific case, there is no need to worry…a lot. It’s probably just some sting or something stuck between the cat’s toes, I mean, she is jumping around all of the time. The thing they should worry about is cancer: that happens to be the cause sometimes, although rarely.