Hi all. All of you, even the ones who don’t have pets of their own have probably heard of anal glands in cats. Or at least you have heard the problems that come along with them. Anal glands are used by cats and dogs to mark their territory and other than that, they have no specific function. Unfortunately anal gland issues are so common now that I know three people from my building who have cats and problems with their anal glands. Anyway, I wanted to ask someone here, what are the exact causes for anal glands to be problematic? Thanks.

It’s not a nice thing to say, but people must accept the fact that increased obesity among cats led to this epidemic of anal gland problems. This disease wasn’t so common 20 or 30 years ago.

The fast way of life in modern times took its toll on our pets as well. We are having much less time to care about them and we don’t feed them properly so they become obese which disrupts their immune system.

So, basically, one of the main causes of cat’s anal gland problems is the human owner.

That’s why we need to spend more time preparing right food for our kittens and vaccinate them regularly so they can build their immune system.

Umm…that is really common problem with a lot of cats.  As you were saying, a lot of people have problems with anal gland. Impactions and infections can occur very, very often. For a lot of pet owners, this is something that is very, but very irritating. But, for a lot of reasons, such as the conformation of the animals, the thickness of the glands secretions, or maybe of the soft stool, these glands just become clogged or infected, maybe infected. Well, as you already know, when this happens, cat just sit down and you know the rest.  Don’t worry it is nothing serious. 

Hey. There are a lot of reasons, and finding the right one, that harmed your cat, is a little bit difficult. But, the main cause can be your cat menu. Sometimes, the owners are the main cause of impacted anal gland problems. You can treat it by yourself, but if you don’t have any experience with it, you should let you vet to take care of it.

Also, the main problem can be if you didn’t vaccinated your dog. So, there are a few factors, and you should pay attention on him, such as vaccination and food. It is not hard to observe.

Good luck!  

A lot, but a lot of factors can cause this problem. The symptoms are really obviously, such as softens – especial soft stool can be sometimes responsible for anal gland inflammation and impaction. So, if you see that your cat’s stools are not regular like always, that can be one cause. Also, stool size can also cause anal gland disease. If your cat stool is usually on the small side, this can be cause as well. If your cat also suffers from diarrhea, if the stool is watery, than this can be one more cause as well.

I think that we could talk about this for ages :)

I’ll try to give you the right answer, even though it may not sound very specialized and competent, I’ll give my best to pass the knowledge and the information that my vet gave me about this.

It is true that the only function of these glands is the identification of members within a specie. Problems with anal glands are very common and here is what’s causing them- loose stool. If the stool of your cat is always firm she won’t be having problems with anal glands because anal glands usually empty when the cat defecates. On the other hand, if her stool is soft it may not exert enough pressure on the glands. Then the glands will fail to empty. 

NotAnotherCatLady is right. The problems with anal gland in cats are common these days but it was different in ‘90s and especially in ‘80s. Back then it was a very uncommon problem. In my opinion, the main reason for such change is the way of feeding cats. Cats have been fed almost exclusively with raw food so the digestive system has worked perfectly and the stool has been firm and stimulating for anal glands. Nowadays, we are feeding our cats with canned foods that are made from artificial ingredients. Because of that cats have soft stool which is not stimulating anal glands to work properly.

I don’t agree with you guys. I don’t believe that the way of feeding and fast tempo of modern times are the causes of anal gland problems in cats. Yes, this was a very rare problem 20 or 30 years ago but I don’t think that is because of the reasons mentioned above.

I personally think that cats are now more static then before. To be more precise, cats are living in houses nowadays and they walk just trough the house. They don’t run, they don’t jump. They are just sleeping and eating. Without jumping and running anal glands can’t be unloaded so they start to swell.