What physical and mental changes does your body go through when you can't run for an appreciable length of time--like do to illness or burnout?

Do your self confidence levels change? Does your :naughty: appetite change? Does your food appetite change? Anything else?

just curious.....

Oh, boy can I answer this one.

I found not running to be a bigger challenge than running. Sure there are days where you just don't feel like getting out there, but have it taken away from you for a period of time and it can be hell. In the begining my body yearned to be running but because I was injuried and could barely walk I knew I didn't have much of a choice. After a few weeks and the injury just wasn't going away, I started to feel some serious withdraw. I could think of nothing more than getting our there and running a few miles. After about a month with no end of the injury in site, I started to get really depressed. I really withdrew from a lot of activities with family and friends. I was always fidgety and anxious. Seeing people run would really bring me down. I definitely lost a lot of self confidence. I just wasn't near the same person as I was with running. (the ironic part is I was still a much better person, health and appearance wise, than before I started to run)

As far as :naughty: goes, I'm a guy. but yes I did see a loss of labido. My appetite didn't change that much, actually I had trouble not eating, which became a problem weight wise. I tried to do other exercise to keep feeling fit and keep my mental edge but it just didn't do it. For me there is no subsitute for running.

The good news is after a few months the depression got better, it didn't go away but it wasn't near as bad. It is still hard to watch people run but I am getting better with it. I have also noticed that even though I have only run 2 miles this past week, my attitude and overall disposition is much better. I am not the only one who has noticed this either.

I don't know if these are typical emotions or not. I am very obsessed about running.

I feel so nekkid now.

I feel so nekkid now.
We keep coming back to that whole "pants" thing, don't we?? Thank you for sharing what's going on--I was hoping you'd answer because I knew you had been out for awhile.

physical--i get out of shape.
mental--i'm not as happy or confident
:naughty:--nothing seems to affect this...I'm a horn dog.
food--my appetite goes down a lot.
anything else--I'm lazier...at everything...around the house...at work...everything...I stop running for awhile...and everything starts to slide.

physical--i get out of shape.
mental--i'm not as happy or confident
food--my appetite goes down a lot.
Not to be crude, but I find that my :naughty: drops dramatically. Could it be tied into the losing self confidence?

I get fat.

My one multi-year stint of no running left me blimpous. And having learned that lesson, I now bike or row or walk or at least somethin' if I can't run. That does wonders for me. Weight-wise I fight the spare tire and head-wise it keeps me sane. I simply can't go totally to zero trainingwise.

I could be self confidence but I think the lack of blood flow and endorphines have a part in it too.

:1: to all of these.
Makes sense to me.

:1:
I burnt out after Cross Country ended in college, just too much stress, injury and frustration. I stopped running and put on even more weight (beyond what i was gaining due to injury). I got out of shape in a hurry and worked on getting fat.

I do lose come confidence. Sometimes its mentally hard to distinguish the limitations of myself versus the temporary limitations of injury or illness.
I gain weight. Like RB, I have a big appetite when running and it unfortunately doesn't really die down much even if I'm not running I was lucky enough during one long injury stint to discover cycling and it not only helped the confidence and weight problems, it actually helped my running tremendously when I got back to it.
The worst sidelined or stepping back I had was asthma problems because almost everything was limited for me, cross training, just dealing with daily life, everything. That can mess with you mentally (as well as the waistline). I've been dealing with coming back from this one all year.

I got sidelined many times this year and the longest layoff I made so far was 7 weeks from a stress fracture. Of course, physically I was abit out of shape (gained a few pounds) but not much. Surprisingly I was able to get back up again in a few weeks and lose the few extra pounds easily in bout a month or 2. The worst part would be the mental changes-I agree that not running when you're sidelined is probably the most difficult aspect of the sport. There were times when I see others running outside, enjoying themselves and I would get jealous and fidgety about it. That's why I say getting injured and getting sidelined from it is good mental training and develops self-discipline. As for :naughty: , well I'm a young single guy and I think for most guys around my age :naughty: appetite or rather, :naughty: drive doesnt really go down with decreased training- I'm telling you, it's real biology here! :naughty:

I think you should get an award for best use of the :naughty: smilie!!

I had 6 months of down time due to a knee surgery going on 4 yrs ago now. I put on 7 lbs in the first couple of weeks before it dawned on me I needed to seriously modify my calorie intake. I went thru the frustration the others have mentioned but I still went to the gym every day and worked out. I saw some impressive improvement in upper body strength because I was able to focus on weight lifting - strength I haven't been able to quite maintain since returning to running. I think the most important thing is to continue to work out in some way so you don't fall off the wagon completely. Focus on a different part of your physique that you feel could use some work. As for the :naughty: , I'm with coach on that one. It rarely fluctuates....

You guys are so stinkin' lucky. I would give MONEY to never have it fluctuate.

I'm weird, I guess, when my physical activity decreases :naughty: increases. I guess normally I'm just too tired to think about it. The weeks following a marathon are all about :naughty: . Too bad hubby was working alot lately.....his loss.