When I first heard the term "dermaplaning" and looked up what it meant, the procedure sounded rather invasive. Face shaving?!? I immediately pictures something a hell of a lot more invasive than dermabrasion. Then I looked up a video of dermaplaning in action, out of curiosity, expecting to see something horrific, and you know what? Not only does it sound like dermaplaning is no big deal in terms of pain or creep factor, it actually looks really good and really improved the skin of the woman I watched in the video.

If I were to have this done, where would I go? What else do I need to know about dermaplaning? Contraindications? Cost?

I'm really interested in dermaplaning as well. It is amazing how much better the skin looks after that, and it really lays the foundation for deeper treatments that will penetrate better as well. In fact, dermaplaning does not even look too complicated and I am wondering if it would be possible to carry it out yourself with a scalpel like the one they use. It is pretty simple. Has anyone here perhaps done that and do you think it is a good idea or a bad idea?

Dermaplaning is a great procedure that's basically exfoliation ++, suitable for a great deal of people and which will give you a very healthy and fresh looking glow for more than a week. Dermaplaning gets rid of the skin regular exfoliation will not, really. You have to know that people with active acne are not great candidates for dermaplaning, however, but nearly everyone else can undergo the simple procedure that makes a radical difference to your skin. This is typically followed up by a facial or something like that so you maximize the benefits of dermaplaning. Hope that helps.

I'm interested in this as well. I know it's an awful lot gentler than microdermabrasion and so looks an awful lot better afterwards, no redness, no irritation, nothing, just fresh skin ideally primed for deeper treatments! I do exfoliate my face regularly but just looking at myself in the mirror I can easily see that I would definitely benefit from dermaplaning. Now, I don't actually know if dermaplaning is done as a stand alone treatment as well or just before other cosmetic treatments. By itself it actually seems fairly... basic. A very quick and simple thing to do. I would imagine it is always followed up with some sort of facial or it would seem like too quick and easy a treatment.

Anyway... if someone here has had it done already it would be ever so exciting to hear all about it!

Recently I watched a video about dermaplaning. It looked pretty impressive. I guess one must have a very steady hand to provide the dermaplaning treatment. Were I to have it done, I would definitely not want someone with Parkinson's do it :). In other words, make sure anyone who is going to be getting up close and personal with your skin and near your eyeballs knows what they are doing. It looks like dermaplanning is really good for the skin though, giving a fresh fresh looking skin afterwards. It looks pretty awesome. I would be open to the idea of having it done.

Hi!

I have experienced Dermaplaning and can say that it is as good as its reputation! You know those little facial hairs that everyone has? As a woman of Greek heritage... they show up a bit more than in some people, LOL. Gone they were with Dermaplaning, not to mention that my skin of course was a lot softer, healthier, better...

I was scared that it would hurt in advance but it was quite pleasant actually. The Dermaplaning itself was also quick. After your Dermaplaning, your skin's ready for all manner of treatments previously agreed, from dermarolling to chemical peels or serums. Everything sinks in better after Dermaplaning. And it keeps on being that way. Your moisturizer will absorb better, your makeup will sit more smoothly on your skin...

I'd definitely advise Dermaplaning to anyone who wants to look better and feel smoother. As far as I know the only people who can't have it are those with active acne, and then only certain types I think.

When I mentioned this to my husband, he aptly pointed out that most men basically do this, at least on part of their face, every day. It is the male exfoliation, it's shaving! Dermaplaning removes all facial hair that isn't specifically meant to be there, that's your eyebrows, from your face, along with microscopic bits of skin that you did not know were making you look bad for carrying them around but in hindsight did.

As for doing it yourself, well, I understand why that would appeal to some people. It looks easy enough and of course we all have experience with shaving. But dermaplaning involves a rather sharp scalpel, a single blade, and the question is whether you really want to risk cutting deeply into your face and potentially causing permanent scars to a very visible part of your body or perhaps even worse. I know I don't.