I have a friend who told me he has orchitis. This is first time for me to hear about this problem, so I am interested into finding out more. He told me the most common causes for orchitis are urinary tract infections, sexually transmitted infections, and cases of mumps contracted after puberty. I wish to hear more about it, since I am 25 years old male and I am worried this might happen to me once. Could you tell me more about orchitis, and what patient should do with it?

Orchitis is an inflammation of one or both testicles, which is usually resulting from an infection. The inflammation does not affect the production of male hormones, and very rarely results in sterility, so this is not as scary as you might think. Once if you notice this problem, report it to your doctor, but there are some things you could do on your own. You should rest in bed until fever, pain, and swelling go down. Your testicle may stay swollen and hard for several days or even a few weeks, so your doctor might prescribe you antibiotics. If that happens, if you get an antibiotic to fight infection, take it exactly as prescribed and be sure to finish the entire prescription. If you stop taking the drug too soon, some germs may survive and re-infect you, which mean you could get orchitis again. To help relieve pain and swelling, you should place a rolled-up towel between your legs under the scrotum. This helps support the weight of the scrotum and tender testicles, and wearing briefs also might provide support. You could also apply either cold or heat to the swollen area, whichever relieves your pain the best.