I'm in high school, and I've had eczema on both my legs all my life. I live pretty far from the beach, but I get my legs out in the sun as often as possible, sometimes just sitting in the shade with my legs sticking out. I have really fair skin, so I try not to be in the sun because everyone hates sunburns. But I've found that if I do accidentally get a sunburn on my eczema, it literally goes away completely until the sunburn has COMPLETELY faded. Which more than proves the UV ray idea.
I make sure I take zinc and vitamin c in addition to a multivitamin, and it boosts your immune system and helps cut down infection, which just makes irritates everything, the itching, the redness, all of it.
Swimming in natural bodies of water seems to really help too; whether you be going to the beach or the lake. But a few little things that I've found really help is to have both a humidifier and an air filter on in your room at night, especially in the winter, and to change the sheets at least once a week. We really try to minimize how much how have the heat on in the winter, because it dries out the air.
When the itching gets really bad, I make sure I wear long pants to bed, because I end up scratching in my sleep. If it's too hot for that, I just put some socks or gloves on my hands. I got sick of constantly putting on lotions and stuff, but just little changes like these don't take any extra time, and they help.

Hi All,

I find it very interesting that you all seem to have positive experinces with sunbeds, or , UV lights. I am intriged as to what the difference might be between the uv light at the tanning shop and the light at the doctors? I think if uv light does actually help eczema then natural sunlight can't be all that bad. I'm wondering if even being in the shade when you in a hot climate would be as effective as sitting in the direct snlight, we all know that too much sun can cause problem in the long rum. Apparently you can still tan in the shade.

Hey.

I have sebhoerric eczema mainly on my face, and if it's on your forehead and your scalp, that is most likely what you have too. Shampoos that I use include Klorane and Cliniderm. Cliniderm I only use when my eczema is REALLY bad beacuse in all fairness, it doesn't smell very good but it does rid your hair of some greasiness. Cliniderm is free of all horrible additives that they put in shampoos these days. Klorane is also all-natural, but has scent which may make your eczema flare up. I jsut suggest that you NEVER, ever use any of the mainstream products (Pantene, Fructis etc) as they are loaded with allergens and scents that really irritate the skin.

Good luck!

So, ive had excema since i was born, im now 23 and have it still just worse at certain areas, ive tried it all perscriptions, baths,creams, oils, etc...OUt of everything, Sea Water, and the sun . basically living at the beach. DO you recommend tanning, now that its winter and i dont have the option of the beach, ive heard from several people that it works wonders.!! do you agree?????

just adding too i've noticed tanning is really the only thing that clears up my eczema. From only tanning once my eczema already started dissapearing.

I developed eczema last spring, and it got so severely all over my body that I could barely stand to wear any clothing at all or sit on my own couch or in the car, and I would literally sit and cry from the pain, stinging, and itching. I had to wash my sheets several times a week from the blood stains, I was so covered with bloody scabs. Out of desperation I went to a "Harvard educated" dermatologist, and after $700 of treatments, shots, prescription creams, nothing was working and I actually felt worse. Finally, when summer rolled around and I could get to the beach and out in the sun, my SEVERE eczema virtually went away. As soon as it started getting cooler and no more trips to the beach or sunbathing, my eczema is coming back, so I'm going to try the tanning bed. I might also just try sunning on my deck as long as it's warm enough for a half hour or so a day.

Funny how such educated doctors never suggest the simplest, possibly most effective, natural remedies. But that's not what they're taught in med school or trained to do, and of course they're in bed with big pharma. I probably just needed to try a tanning bed and save myself hundreds of dollars and months of agony.

I'll post with an update about the tanning bed soon.

in the wintertime, my eczema was definitely acting up and i couldn't control myself from scratching my skin repeatedly- it was just so itchy. it was driving me nuts.

for completely unrelated reasons, i decided to try out tanning in artificial booths-- i had never really looked into any skin-treatment-related reasons for doing so; i just wanted to get darker. the entire time, i noticed that my skin had completely become smooth, blotch/itch/and rash-free. it was the first time in months--heck a year+ --that my skin was "normal."

i stopped tanning after summer started hitting its peak (i was getting waay darker than i wanted to be) but now that it's fall, and i'm again going nuts with the way my skin's been acting up, i'm reconsidering tanning again. it's worth the lowering of stress/worry for me.

granted, i am already fairly dark-skinned (naturally) so sun exposure isn't as serious of an issue to me as i would assume it'd be for a fairer-skinned person.

i would recommend it, if at least once.

I would also agree. last year was the first year I didn't have this since it started (when I was young), and I thought that I was cured! It was awesome! But then this year it came back and I was very sad.
Last year I also went taning (not a lot, just once a week) for a vacation I was going on in the summer. I didn't make the connection till my coworker told me that tanning can help with this. I can't wait to go and get rid of it!

Any tips on how long to stay in the tanning beds for and how often to go?

I've had eczema my whole life, but it went away for about 10 years. It came back with vengence a year ago. My face is dry, red and itchy, along with my body. I've completely given up on doctors. I've tried every topical steriod there is. I have scars all over from rashes (my battle wounds.) I'm going to try tanning today to see if it works. I really hope it does, because I think I'm near giving up on all hope. :-(

I can relate to all your posts. I've just recently in the past few month had a bad flare-up of my eczema. I have recently gotten married & the stress level has gone up by 100x. This is when my eczema really started to worsen on face..forehead, eyelids, chin, cheeks and neck where my skin is dry, peeling, and painful :-(

I saw a dermatalogist & he said to try light therapy for 3-5 minutes for a week. I asked him if I could go to Hollywood Tans..he said he preferred I go to a university, hospital, or doctor's office that had UVB narrowband light. Turns out, I couldn't find any in my area..so instead, I went to the tanning place yesterday and bought the HT 42 package (8 sessions) as it had the most UVB rays 8%. I was in the tanning booth for 5 minutes. Last night, my face & neck did not itch AT ALL. What a great feeling!!!

I'm going to try going every other day for a few weeks and see what happens. SO glad to hear the it's worked for many of you.
Pls keep posting your stories...and I will keep you posted on my progress...

Personally, I can't tan properly since my eczema - even with fake tan! Whenever I tan I have large white patches where the patches of eczema used to be and I'm brown everywhere else so it looks awful.

Go into your local Lush cosmetics shop and use their Dream Cream on your skin. It's pricey but amazing, honestly!

I just found this site because I wanted to check what I had heard about tanning being good for eczema. I had heard about a year ago that tanning was good for eczema, but that levels 1 and 2 are better than higher levels, while the higher levels just give more color. I wasn't sure so I asked today at a tanning salon, and the girl said that there isn't that much of a difference, all levels give about the same benefit. I have the same problem that someone else mentioned, at least in natural sunlight, where the eczema is in the crook of my elbow, I don't get tan there. It just stays white while the rest of me tans. This happens even if the eczema had just cleared up!
Anyway, the real reason I wanted to post to this thread is that after 4 years of eczema, I finally asked my doctor about it. At that point, I had it in both elbows, several welts on my torso, my eyelids, under one of my eyes, between my chin and mouth, and across my entire forehead. She said that I might have food allergies--the most common foods that if you are allergic will result in skin problems are wheat, oranges, tuna, and chocolate. She said to think of it as a meal, you have a tuna sandwich for lunch, wash it down with OJ and have chocolate for dessert (and then you're screwed! haha) Anyway, as soon as I stopped eating all of these (wheat being the most difficult to cut out!), my eczema WENT AWAY COMPLETELY. That was 9 years ago. Now I seem to be getting more and more food allergies; I think I might also be allergic to tomatoes, shellfish, oysters, figs, peaches, soy...that's all I can think of now. Plus there is a wheat free bakery in my town, and I am allergic to their bread!! But at any rate, I wanted to put out there as a suggestion for everyone that this might be something to try. There are absolutely no risks of cancer, unlike with tanning... :-) It gets frustrating to always have to ask in restaurants if something contains wheat or some other ingredient, the server usually never has any idea, but in the end I actually don't mind that much because it has made me much more conscious of what I put into my body.
This was my primary care physician that suggested the allergy thing to me, by the way (also a Harvard professor), not even a dermatologist or allergist. Good luck to everyone who suffers with eczema!

Tanning occasionally has saved my life with eczema! Absolutely it was the only thing to make it go away--- and I did biopsies, DOZENS of Rx creams and pills, then homeopathical solutions.. even acupuncture.

Get to a tanning salon and hit it in a lower grade bed for 10 min. Wait a few days.. and do it again if it still hasn't gone.

I've had eczema since I was born and its been very severe for most of my life. I had tried close to everything to remedy it. Id have to say tanning was one of the most successful treatments for my eczema. It brought out my natural oils and evened all my bloodiness and got rid of almost all of my eczema. It really was a life saver honestly. I don't recommend tanning too often tho or tanning for too long a time because tanning too often can dry your skin out, and tanning for too long can burn you and make your eczema worse. So what I did was tan about twice a week starting out 5 to 8 minutes and each session going in for an additional minute. I hope this was helpful!

:-) Amanda