I have had eczema since I was a little kid and always have it somewhere... I have found that Vaseline works on my eyelids and Eucerin extreme dry or severe dry is very gentle on broken/weeping patches. Also I would have to agree that exposure to sun absolutely helps my dry skin and of course just don't over do it.

I've suffered from psoriasis on my scalp for 28 years. It's much worse in the winter time. But the summer time definitely helps. I tanned for many years, only  going maybe once or twice a week. I stopped tanning two months ago due to medical reasons and mediciations i was taking. Now I have seborrheic dermatitis on my enitre body. Biopsy came back negative but my dermatologist recommended I start tanning again. I can't wait to get rid of this. I hate the winter!!!!

I have to agree. After suffering with eczema all of my life, I finally had one dermatolgist recommend photo therapy twice a week for 15 minutes per session. My eczema is the worst in the winter, too. The photo therapy was expensive, but I found that the tanning bed replicates it nicely. I cover everything except the parts of my body affected with eczema. I'm especially careful to cover my face with a towel. It has changed my life and my eczema is now under control.

How did it go?

I loved your post and appreciate it so much. I have had just a bit of atopic dermatitius for years, off and on. I can go months and months with nothing, and then something (usually a stressful event) will start it up. It will appear at the corners of my mouth, but in the last week, it has shown up almost like a ring around my mouth. Really ugly and embarassing. I did go to my regular doc who prescribed steroids (oral), and after the first day my face was bright red and HOT. Went back next day and he gave me an ointment (but told me to continue to see if the pills would still help before using it). This is day 4 and it is much improved. Regarding tanning beds, here's my experience (a dermatologist told me not to use the beds) - however I live in VA near the beach, but don't get that much chance to go there - so for the last 15-20 years I've used a good tanning bed (definitely need to use high quality and CLEAN) with amazing results. I don't overdo it ever, just enough to get some color, especially for shorts season, etc. It DOES help with any breakouts. I do as you do, a couple of times a week for just about 7 or 8 minutes. I also go and get a overall body check yearly for any cancer issues. Perhaps it;s not for everyone, but it DOES work for me.

It very clear why the Dermatologist don't want you going to tanning beds, They want your MONEY!!!! The lights that they use are exactly the same.

You know, I have also wondered why they do promote outdoor sunlight, but have nothing but negative things to say about the beds. Now, don't get me wrong, I have seen others that totally 'overdo' it to the point where they look orange and really unhealthy. I am smart enough NOT to overdo it, and never have. Guess it's like anything else, just in moderation. I don't recommend it for everyone, because everyone's skin is obviously different, but for me it does seem to work. And, also, you are so right, the 'light treatment' that you would have to get only from the dermatologist is extremely expensive!

I am a Tanning Salon owner and i have to say that YES tanning does help. It is probably the best thing to help with skin problems. I have had many customers come in for treating Eczema. I have had customers who were told by their Dr. to go to a tanning salon.  

My suggestions.    If you are going to a tanning salon to treat these skin conditions you only need to use the lowest level bed. Start low minutes like 4 or 5. My lowest bed is a 15 min bed but you probably wouldn't ever have to do the full 15.  I would suggest 10 mins max once or twice a week.  Everyone is different so you may need more or less.  

Remember Dermatologist will always tell you not to go to a tanning salon because they use UV Therapy themselves to treat it except they charge an arm and a leg. They know tanning salons are much cheaper and takes money from them.  

Thank you for your very honest post. Although you are a salon owner, I appreciate the way you stated that it might, in fact, not work for everyone since each skin condition and skin reactions are different. However, for myself and many others, it DOES work. I do what you suggest, very short sessions (with 4 or 5 minutes and build up to maybe 10 max - twice a week). It's definitely worth a try.

I've had eczema for years!!! Tanning helps a lot!!! So does kiwi oil! The oil will burn a little if you have been scratching but, it helps so much!

Actually, I believe sun is the solution for eczema, i know it can differ for one to other, but when the summer comes and i get exposed to the sun, my eczema disappears completely until the winter comes again, of course that might be different from one another, but it worked with me.

Absolutely and I just went yesterday and laid 8 minutes and it looks 50% better with 1 visit. I used to go for psoriasis but stopped for years and developed atopic dermatitis on my face. I've been prescribed 3 different medicines and nothing worked like light therapy!!!

I am a 19 year old and I suffer very badly of ezemma all over my body. I started to tan it it helped alot! I haven't went tanning for about 3 weeks now and my ezemma is very bad, I talked many showers a day and I am always inchy. Tanning has made it so much better and I high recommend it.

Do you use the tanning bed lotion to protect your skin from drying out? I am worried that I might have a reaction to whatever is in that lotion. But I don't know what the effects are of tanning without it...

I'm a guy with eczema everywhere except my face and neck. I even have it on my fingertips and they crack and bleed. VERY unpleasant and embarrassing. I tried tanning for just 5mins the first and 7mins the second. Just after the first time I saw results in a few days. I'm very excited because even the fingers look better today. I'm sick and tired of using steroid creme to come off of the cream to just go right back to suffering again. Plus every time I use the stuff I swear I catch a cold... I hope this info was useful in some way SS