I have had severe eczema my entire life. With that being said, each summer my skin dramaticly changes from rough, cracked, and painful to almost normal managable skin. The reason is the sun and going to tanning beds!

After trying several treatments for my exzema my dermatologist suggested a light box in his office.  With a $50.00 co-pay, I could not afford to go a few times a week for a 30 second to 1 minute light box treatment.  I now do $20.00 per month unlimited tanning at a commercial tanning salon and the results are GREAT!  Don't tell Obama though.  Not only will you pay you end up paying the tanning tax, the tanning bed will likely get taxed as a medical device too.

Put nothing on your skin while tanning. Moisturize after.

I had pretty bad eczema this year. I decided to give this tanning bed a try and I also started a detox at the same time. 

The first time I went I only did 6 mins and I didn't know I could shut the bed lid. I left it open. The next day I didn't notice much but I did get some sun and my eczema did start to clear or lighten in some areas. A week later I decided to go again and this time I did 7 mins and I shut the lid of the bed... This was a mistake... I shouldn't of done that.... The next day I was pretty burnt. But it was weird. I was only burnt where my eczema was. So my eczema turned from a rash to a sunburn. This wasn't good. First my upper back faded back to normal. Eczema was completely gone from my back. I did get itchy while the sunburn was healing but I believe that was from the sunburn. My arms were burnt. The forearms are fading away. But where my eczema was is tanned pretty dark and where my normal skin is is pretty pale white. So all over my body. The where the eczema was is tanned and my normal skin is much lighter. So I have a blotchy tan. The burn is taking a really long time to go away too. I have the chills because my skin is pretty hot and the air around it feels cold. I never had a sunburn take so long to go away. I wonder if it is because of eczema that it is taking so long... Hopefully it will be gone in a week.

I agree, whenever I have access to the beach my skin is in great shape. I have eczema on my neck mostly and always had it on my hands as a child. I don't have access to the beach anymore so I've started to use a Dead Sea salt solution and pour it on my neck and face while I'm in the shower along with going to the tanning salon.. We'll see if it helps.

I would like to share with you guys how I got rid of my eczema or atleast kept it atbay for the better part of the year. I have been suffering from Eczema my whole life. I get it every where.. behind the the knees forearms hands neck torso and it wasn't until that it got to to my face eyelids and forehead that it really affected my life enough to throw me into a depression. The countless sleepless night. People looking at me and asking questions wondering if I'm all right or is it contagious. What a nightmare. Especially after countless times of spending money going to different dermatologists. For a while to me it seemed the only way to live with it was to go from prednisone cycle to prednisone cycle cause thats all that I would get prescribed. Well I did my own research and this is what I did and it worked!! I'm finally back to the handsome stud that I am lol #1. Dandruff Shampoo ... I personally use Selsum Blue I rub a good layer in all the affected areas including my face and leave it on for about 10-15 minutes right before I shower(it doesn't necessarily have to be spot treatment just rub in general area). I suggest leaving it on for only 10 minutes when you first start than gradually leaving it on longer (15 min)as progress through the week. I did it everyday for the first week. Every other day for second week. 3 times a week for the third week. Twice a week for the 4th. So after a month do it once or twice a week every week do not stop. * when you first start this your eczema will be a little flakier than usual but don't worry its getting rid of all the dead skin. After it will leave your skin smooth. Remember to moistuirize #2 Use AntiBacterial body wash or soap... Do Not I repeat do not use any soap with fragances or dove or any other soaps. I also use regular baby soap from Johnson's and Johnson's they have the least amount of stuff that will irritate your skin. And it works #3 Do not shower in really hot water or take long showers .. very important cause you with wash away your skins natural oil and protectant leaving your skin extra dry. Also remember to pat dry your eczema. No rubbing with your towel. Take an oatmeal bath or other skin calming/soothing baths #4 Moisturize within 5 minutes of getting out of the shower. You want your pores to be open when putting on lotion. ONLY use LOTIONS certified by The NATIONAL ECZEMA ASSOCIATION. Lotions now adays have the logo in the front of the lotion you can't miss it . Look for it. #5 *very important* What I do is buy the actual aloe vera leaf plant and I cut it in the middle and rub it on the affected area. Rub it in a little bit. Not too much . You want it to have a little layer. Wait for it to dry . Might take a few minutes. You can do this anytime of the day. I do it before I get ready for bed. You can rinse off afterwards or leave it on up to you. I leave it on. #6 Biggest part of this is Diet Diet Diet. Eat organic .eat Green. Eat or drink Antioxidants . Stay away from wheat, flour, fried foods, fast food , processed. The one thing we all have in common is our bodies are not doing ridding them selves of the toxic we have built up like other people. Therefore its giving us a sign through our skin. I bought a juicer and its the best thing I did. I juice kale, broccoli, beets, carrots, ginger root, raspberry . You can only imagine how good you feel after a week into juicing. Your body will definitely thank you. Oh cleaning my juicer after everytime though sucks. Don't get discouraged. *drink alooooottt of water ... I mean a lot . Seriously just do it. #7 Tanning. I tan 3 times a week. With everything else this is what you need to fully get your skin back to 100%. Don't over do it. Be safe about it. You cant skip this. Don't forget it will work after a couple of sessions. It will also leave your skin dry afterwards. So moisturizeeeee. #8 Excersize. This whole eczema sh*t that we have to live with is triggered by stress also. So get your ass up and do some jumping jacks lol. Its all about the mind body and soul. Exercise is a huge stress killer. Stress is toxic. And remember our bodies are not really good at dealing with those toxins and WE have to go above and beyond to help it leave our bodies. REMEMBER TO STRETCH. Get your muscles loose feel good be stress free let it go. Let go let god. I'm not proofreading this nor am I correcting grammar errors lol so sorry if its messed up . If anyone has any questions please let me know. This isn't really in any order just to clarify. Nor did I start everything at the same time. I started adding to it

I've also had awful eczema...going on 16 years or so.  I also am a registered nurse and so I am very familiar with medical treatments.  I try to avoid oral steroids if at all possible, only needed them once and that was at the very beginning when I was diagnosed.  My approach to medical care has taken on a holistic approach and with that in the last two years my daughter and I have gone dairy and gluten free.  The dairy free has almost completely subsided my asthma and seasonal allergies.  My daughter had a pseudo-cushings that was set off by inhaled steroids and a nasal steroid. The steroids suppressed her pituitary in her brain and completely fowled up her cortisol levels.  Since going dairy free, she is off all her asthma meds and is only taking an allegra year round.  Going gluten free has all but cured our eczema.  My daughter would need to be buttered down with lotion every day and night to keep her skin from drying out and having eczema break outs, since going gluten free our skin is completely clear.  I, on occassion, still have some eczema under stress, but it significantly improved.  When I do have eczema flare ups, I use a steroid cream just on the spots that need it and I go tanning.  Hope this helps!

I have, within the last few months, had a serious breakout of eczema. I went to a dermatologist and was prescribed prednisone therapy and a topical steroid cream. And within one week my skin looked better than it ever had. Only problem was, my blood sugar shot sky high because of the prednisone and I'm now being treated as a diabetic! So now oral steroids are out of the question for me. The steroid cream helps, but not as we'll as I would like it to. I had heard that occasional tanning would be beneficial. And I know they say tanning is horrible for your skin, but I honestly would rather deal with the consequences of tanning than having to deal with the uncontrollable eczema. I can't even wear makeup anymore because the dry spots won't go away on my face. And I'm not comfortable without makeup on. So this is a really stressful situation for me. I really hope that tanning works because I would love to be able to be myself again. And to the comment about shampoos to use : I had dry, flaky, itchy, and oozing spots on my scalp too. But I have found that using T-gel shampoo clears it up. But once I got mine cleared up, I starting using head and shoulders to keep it from coming back. Not saying that it would work for everyone, but it worked for me.

hi what happened?

Try aquaphor or Vaseline on these toughs spots works miracles for me once or twice a day depending on severity!

I will resume tanning soon because it helps even out my skin tone and it has always helped my eczema from creeping up. Usually after tanning for a couple weeks my eczema subsides. Its important to use a good tanning lotion and of course shower after and apply heavy cream or my life saver, Vaseline or Aquaphor.

Many dermatologist offices offer uv light treatment for severe cases of eczema, its very helpful.

Hi everyone, I too have eczema.  I haven't had it bad for a very long time but this year it has been extremely bad and I can't seem to get rid of it.  Last night it hit me, I am usually an avid tanner, always tanning all year round, but this year I haven't been and my eczema is terrible.  I will probably be hitting a tanning bed after work today!

Looking at eczema on my face, neck and arms made me painful. Now, I can wear sleeveless clothes and my favorite dresses in the summer again and nobody looks at me with eyes filled with special concern again.want to know what happen to me,I like to provide some inforamtion to cure eczema, please search the website:vitiligotcm

I cured eczema by avoiding NIGHTSHADES

I finally found a cure by realizing that Eczema is a reaction to certain foods or chemicals. I’ve had eczema for as long as I could remember and it wasn’t until recently that I figured out NIGHTSHADES (peppers, eggplant, tomatoes…) were the source of my skin irritations. Since then, I've been eczema-free.

Start by eliminating certain foods after a rash occurs so that you can figure out what to avoid. I wish a doctor had told me that simple truth a long time ago, but then again, most are in the business of making money, not giving permanent cures.

A lot, if not all things can be healed naturally. To cure it, it’s not about putting ointments or shea butter on it, those only mask the symptoms- with eczema, it’s simply about eliminating substances you react to.