I am trying sun beds too, just 10 min sessions once or twice a week. I get eczema in limited patches on my hands, legs and feet. I keep it under control to an extent with steroid creams but I am also trying to heal from the inside by taking Comvita's olive leaf extract. A lot of theories that eczema is a result of a compromised immune system. I've been told it can take 1-2 months to see improvement so the tanning beds is a more short term solution for now. Good luck to everyone, eczema is one of those conditions that can cause a lot of discomfort physically and mentally so it is nice to read so many stories where people have found relief with tanning

Hey I don't know if you frequent this site anymore but I just want to share what helped with my eczema. The weeping and extreme redness of eczema is caused by a skin staph infection. My dermatologist recommended I take bleach baths (1/3 cup of bleach in a full tub of water) for 10 minutes in lukewarm water 3x per week until the infection is gone. Afte the bleach bath you must take a shower to rinse off. The extreme flakeliness is caused by a fungal infection on the skin and my dermatologist recommend I get a prescription for ketaconazole (an antifungal medicine) to get rid of it. Obviously you want to talk your dermatologist to see if this is right for you. My eczema used to be on about 80% of my body and doing this has helped me keep it under control to where it's now only on 1-3% of my body.

I also heard melanotan 2 helps with eczema is this true as it thickens your skin

I use dovobet on my scalp when it gets bad, dermovate on bad areas of my body eczema, never use on face though as it will cause a rash similar to Razer burn., I try and not use dermovate too often as it is very strong but it does work on really bad eczema, I use alongside a strong moisturizer such as hydromol on face and body, and very occasionally polytar on the scalp, which is great if it's dry and crusty. Found hydromol the best moisturizer, especially during flare ups as it doesn't irritate the skin like oilatum or similar. If it's really bad you can't beat a quick dose of steroids off the doctor, clears up in a few days. Sea water, Sun and a good moisturizer will clear up quick as well, you can also put sea salt in your bath which is great as long as you moisturize well after but it can hurt.

I know exactly what it's like trying to get rid of eczema. I tried a lot of mainstream stuff like creams and medications but I got sick of seeing subpar results or results I would need to keep buying the cures to keep. I found out about the Eczema Free Forever program Eczema by Rachel Anderson, which has great reviews  and I havent looked back. Fixing my diet, changing some lifestyle attributes...I've finally gotten long lasting results towards perfect skin, and I know exactly how to avoid my eczema triggers now. My skin was clearer after just two weeks. So for anyone else who is leaning towards natural methods, make the jump and try it.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Burt's Bees and the Aloe version of Head and Shoulders is what I have used for the last three years with no issues. If you have acne, you'll also notice that the things you use in your hair also effect your skin. I stopped using scented lotions, most hair products (can't live without the hairspray!), and detergents. For moisturizers try coconut oil and also Cetaphil Cream (comes in a TUB not a bottle).

It helps a lot! I use to get eczema bad but it's not as bad as it use to be and I usually just get it on the inside of my elbow now. I also work at a tanning salon and especially tanning lotions help with it too since they keep your skin from drying out while tanning and also help you tan faster. Also the vitamin d from the uv helps a lot. Always tan smart though and know the risks of uv exposure!

Yes. A little sun definitely helps. My legs are clear all summer while I wear shorts, then I get sores on them when the colder weather comes along.

It's the only thing that works. Don't let your doctor tell you otherwise.

Natural sea salt applied as a paste instead of soap on the affected areas works wonders for my son's weeping eczema.

This is absolutely not true, I suffered with terrible eczema covering most of my body and I had tried everything. All of the over the counter lotions to steroids and steroid creams. The only time I would get any relief from this is during the summer when I would lifeguard and I have continued to tan into the year and I am currently completely eczema free. Tanning beds have saved me from so much suffering, but I do only tan once to twice a week on a high level bed and I do not use their lotions because it makes my skin very itchy and dry. It may take time but it will work.

I had it bad on my head. Major hair loss came with it and yet at the time didn't realize they went together. I started using Bosley shampoo and treatment conditioner for hair loss. To my surprise....it cured my head eczema! After about 6 months I had hair growing in and it decreased hair loss tremendously. I was looking at wigs because of how bad things were. I am so happy over finding Bosley products. Try them for your head. ...But now my face started burning, swelling, etc around my eyes and has moved to the lips, etc. I again am devestated! I cant seem to figure out why, what, or how to get rid of it all. I am happy to hear tanning may help and I am going to try it.

Doc, I don't know where you're getting your information from, but it certainly doesn't sound like it's coming from any case studies of people who are suffering from eczema. The sun has ALWAYS helped mine. The winter months are ALWAYS far worse for me than the summer months.

I started tanning beds three weeks ago to help my eczema but I find it has gotten worse. Is this a case of it has to get worse before it gets better or should I stop using them?

Hi i've suffered from bad eczema all my life and in the winter it's worse... I always tan in the beds during the summer months and it clears up my skin...