This person obviously doesn't have eczema, or any skin condition for that matter, because if you have it, you know that the sun zaps it out. Lots of people who blog think they know what they are talking about, but in actuality have not the slightest idea.

Lauren i am suffering really bad at the moment in the places you specified. My back, arms, neck, face and scalp. Iv tried everything the doctors have given me they still haven't referred me to a dermatologist and someone told me sunbeds would clear it. Have you had good results?

im sorry i have eczema and during spring break i had a very bad break  and i went tanning in a bed and now it is ALL gone so who ever say it is bad is WRONG!!!!!! my aunt has skin problems and she tans and it helps her my doctor told me and her it is healthy for your skin. because if you have eczema then you are lacking vitamin E and sun ray and bed rays give you the vitamin.

no having eczema means your lacking vitamin E dumb ass. i suffer from eczema i would know!!!!!!!! >:(

I have been going tanning for 2 months and have eczema/psoriasis on my scalp and it is getting much more itchy. I couldn't figure out what was going on then I read a posting by the tanning bed and it states that it can cause inflammation, redness and drying to skin. Summer helps it because it is more moisture in the air and I am sure vitamin D may help.

Hello all.

I am here to just go on from what others have said. I used to live in the north eastern part of the states and I went tanning to keep my eczema at bay. Worked very well, I went maybe 2 times a week. I moved down south and me thinking, "Hey I'm going to where the sun is out maybe it will keep it from coming." I was extremly wrong. The humidity and heat down south is the worst for people with this skin condition. I've been battling this skin condition my whole life. Tanning UV rays, even though they do cause melanoma, really do help people with this skin condition. Don't over due it, maybe go just once a week to start off just to see if there is a difference. I've noticed a huge difference. I would get this on the inside of my thighs, opposite my elbows, behind my knees.. and now it's coming on my hands and around my mouth and on my scalp as well.

Hope this helps!

I know that a lot of people say heat only makes skin dryer, but for me it is the only thing that helps. I have suffered from extreme dry skin my entire life and the only time I find relief is in the summer. I also keep tanning minutes throughout the year to maintain. As soon as it gets cold, or I stop tanning, my skin gets worse. Most people say heat makes it worse, that is definitely not the case with me so I would try all options!

I agree with Dan. I have eczema on my skin and the only thing that keeps it away is going in a tanning bed. When I don't tan I notice that my eczema comes back full force, red blotchy and everywhere. I do understand the risks of tanning but I do it because I know it is benefiting my skin in another way. I am careful and only go to the tanning salon 1-2 a week for 12 minutes each session. I am not super tan but I do have a nice color and very clear and pretty skin because of it. The key to tanning with eczema is to stay moisturized at all times. Be sure to exfoliate and I recommend using aveeno bath treatments and lotions. I follow this routine and it works for me. Good luck!

Head and Shoulders gave me a lot of relief!

Just to add my two cents....  I found the absolute best lotion I've ever used at my tanning salon.  It's called Aloe There.  Also, I recommend Solarcaine sunburn relief spray with lidocaine for itch relief....it deadens the skin!

Hi All,

I am 25 years old and have been suffering from eczema ever since I was born.  My parents would take me to the dermatologist a few times a year to get by mouth medications or ointments to put keep it at bay.  I remember when I was 7 years old my dermatologist wanted to stick me in the tanning bed for just 2 minutes to start off with.  However, my dad said absolutely not.  This was back in 1994.  Had he let me try it out, I don't believe my eczema would have been as bad.  I grew up in a stressful environment ie) parents fighting and all.  Your body releases cortisol when you are stressed, and this tends to exacerbate outbreaks.  I grew out of it when I was in 8th grade- still had the dry itchy skin.  But no red raw patches that were so embarrassing I couldn't wear shorts and a T-shirt.  I was eczema free from that point up until just this past January (I am now 25) when the stress of trying to get through nursing school really got to me.  My best advice upon all my research and experience is, try to be as stress free as possible, try breathing techniques, renewing your faith, listening to music, excercising.  Also, use "fragrance free" everything (Lotions, detergeants).  STAY HYDRATED.  Gatorade and water.  If you go for a run or do a workout, take a shower right after.  And lastly, I will say, I have been anti-tanning bed for the last 2 years, however, just started going again for 7 minutes at a time, and it is slowly healing my skin! It really does work if you give it a chance.  In my opinion, it definitely outweighs the possibility of dealing with long term side effects of taking corticosteroids for long periods of time, such as Cushings disease, among other things.  Hope this helps!

Chronic Eczema Sufferer

My dermatologist actually suggested tanning beds, the UV rays help you just have to stay super hydrated and constantly moisturize

YES! Tanning does help, but it takes a few sessions to really feel the benefit.   And following your sessions your skin will likely feel more dry or worse.  I have suffered from patches of eczema all my life and I have realized a few tricks that have helped my quality of life tremendously, so hopefully it will help you.

#1 Do not use any soaps or laundry detergent with any type of fragrance, fabric softener or bounty sheets.  Unscented does not mean it does not have fragrance. Read the package!

#2 make sure your clothes are being adequatly rinsed in the laundry (run a 2nd time without detergent if you need to), and try using less detergent. You do not need as much as you think. Try 1/4 cap full or less.

#3. Use Cerava Moisterizing cream as soon as you get out of the shower. This stuff really does work better to trap skin moisture than any brand of lotion I have tried.

#4. spot treat eczema with OTC steroid cream if necessary. 

#5.  Be aware of which fabrics cause more irritation, and try to avoid them.  I have noticed that the elastic in my underwear is especially bothersome, as well as sometimes the stitching in my cotton tee shirts.

#6. If you sweat, take a shower as soon as possible.  When I get sweaty, if I do not shower quickly afterwards, it can lead to bothersome eczema in any of my pits (arm, legs, forarm etc.).

#7. If it takes over your eyelids or lips, go get an oinment that is specifically designed for sensitive thin skin from your doctor.

#8. Tanning beds can be a substitute for dematologist UVB treatment. However every tanning bed is different, and the exposure time to make a positive difference is much less than the exposure time to get a tan.  Remember your in the tanning bed for less rash, not dark skin!

#9 Try and eat foods that are known to improve skin health, try to reduce alcoohol intake, and limit exposure to smoke.

#10. Don't let it take over your life!  Remind yourself that many people live with debilitating conditions much worse than eczema, and yours will get better!  The vast majority of eczema is from an allergic reaction to something you are coming in contact with (dermatitis).  Also remember that your suffering is partially seasonal.  When the furnaces kick on, the skin dries out.  So if your in a colder climate, try and get to a warm beach to break the winter season up!  Remember that skin conditions can often times be stress induced. So try and relax!  Yoga, meditation, youtube hypnosis videos... whatever floats your boat.

I suffer with psoriasis and have just completed a course of UVB treatment at the hospital. Twice a week for 15 weeks, and it has been amazing. Not a cure but a reprieve, improved my life a great deal. I will start going to a tanning salon now the treatment is over to see if I can prolong the effects, I know its UVA and not UVB, but I think its worth a try. Will still seek dermatological advice once a year though.

My daughter suffers from eczema. We have been to all the doctors, dermatologists, holistic, etc.. We've used steroids, lotions, etc... Nothing worked. We have dealt with skin infections and head-to-toe rashes. The tanning salon is working! Also, we have changed her diet to eating organic foods.

Like others on the site have posted, we noticed this summer that her rash vanished after a sunburn. This was after dealing with one of her worst winter rashes ever. She was missing school because the rash was so bad. After seeing the posts here, and then looking at data regarding the UV index where we live, we noticed a strong correlation to the UV index dropping and her rash starting. The tanning salon is really working well so far. We go 3 times a week for 6 minutes each time. We use a booth where she stands inside it. This way, nothing contacts her skin. We started out at 2 minutes each time and worked our way up to 6 minutes. After about a month, her rash has faded dramatically. In fact, after a sustained period of eating organic, it vanished almost completely. Then, she and my wife thought they could cheat the organic diet. The rash came back after she ate some carryout food and other non-organic food over the weekend. It's not easy for a teenager to stay on the organic diet, but it appears to be an important part of keeping the rash under control.