I am a healthy 40 yr old female. Lately I have found that after I have an orgasm my anul muscles cramp up so badly that I can't sleep, move my legs or anything. Usually take about 20 min to half hr to go away. Any suggestions? :$

I suffer from the same symptoms. I am a healthy 27 year old male. And for about a year now after ejaculation or even intense arousal my anus muscles cramp intensely. It almost feels like I have to pass a pumpkin out. It hurts so bad that I cant even speak sometimes. The only thing that I have come across in research is muscle cramping, and an abundance of calcium in the mucle that isn't being used. Not sure what that means... Hope someone knows what this is about.

Proctalgia fugax
Proctalgia fugax is a severe, cramp-like pain, deep in the anal canal. It usually lasts for less than a minute, but can sometimes last for up to half an hour. Most sufferers have only 5 or 6 attacks a year. You may feel a need to defecate urgently, but nothing happens. It may even make you feel dizzy, or give you a headache. It occurs in both men and women. The pain often wakes sufferers at night, and men may have an erection at the same time. Some men experience it after sex. It is a mysterious condition; no one knows what causes it, but it is probably a spasm of the rectal or pelvic floor muscles and does not mean that you have anything seriously wrong. There are various methods of relieving the pain.

Try putting pressure on the perineum (the area between the back passage and the vagina or base of the penis) by sitting on the edge of your bath or on a tennis ball.
Sit in hot water or, alternatively, apply some ice.
Two paracetamol tablets and a hot drink may give some relief.
The problem with medications for proctalgia fugax is that the episode is likely to be over before the drugs become active. They might be worth trying if your attacks last a long time. Possible treatments are glyceryl trinitrate spray or under-the-tongue tablets (as used for angina), glyceryl trinitrate cream applied to the anal area, or the asthma drug salbutamol (inhaled from a puffer at the start of the attack). These treatments are only available on prescription, for which you would need to see your doctor.

I use to get this and i now hardly ever get these episodes. Once it was so bad i passed out ontop of my wife *lol

The answer lies in relaxing your anus during intercourse. This is not something that comes easy and it takes a lot of practice, but like i said it solved my problem.

I hope this helps someone
ps.Interestingly enough the penny dropped when i was reading a book on stuttering and the Valsalva Control.

For the men out there, I am a 25 yr old and have had cramps since I really became sexually active. About 15.
Stretching is key. ok TMI... first get a grip on either cheek... yea you know where this is headed. spread and contract the PT muscles. in other words wink it. a couple of those then grab your sac...yea it gets worse. bring em up so they sit in the palm of your hand and GENTLY stretch back. this works well. not 100% of the time. but most. I've been married 3 yrs and with the same woman for 5 she's used to it. don't hide it from your partner. its awkward then they don't know the situation

IT'S NOT JUST PEOPLE HAVING *** SEX THAT HAVE THIS PROBLEM. IF YOU THINK THAT IS CAUSING THE PROBLEM THEN ALL I CAN SAY ........MISINFORMING. MANY OF THESE PEOPLE (MYSELF INCLUDED) HAVE NEVER HAD *** SEX! ALTHOUGH I DO HAVE NERVE DISEASE AND AUTONOMIC NERVE PROBLEMS. I WOULDN'T WISH THIS ON MY WORST ENEMY; HOWEVER I DO HOPE YOU ONE DAY GET TO EXPERIENCE THIS HORRIFIC PAIN. THERE, NOW "CASE CLOSED." :-)

Finally decided to look up my symptoms on the internet and found I was not alone. Mine came on at the onset on an early menopause, happen frequently after organism and sometimes just kick off on their own in the middle of the night. I tend to get up and walk around, sit on the loo and get a pain killer if I can't bear it anymore. Usually lasts between 10 mins to 20 mins .... and boy am I glad when it eases off.

I have had these cramps for years. They wake me up. They typically last 20 - 30 minutes. I used to walk around the house quickly to make the pain subside but now I do deep muscle massage the whole area right away and that seems to help. It happens to me only when I climax quickly. If I can stretch out the enjoyment for a reasonable amount of time the problem never happens. Try not to climax the 1st or 2nd time of arousal no matter how good it feels and you should see an improvement. I know that's not always easy but it's usually better to wait.

I've been having this for years...  I am a male.
Most of the time, it comes at night... usually when I sleep so well, and I hate to wake up cause of this pain that feels something is choking  IT.  The pain intensifies the more you think of it or try to contract.

Momentary relief (for me)  brings injection of cool water... but does not always keep it gone...  I do this, and then pop two advils...

and in the meantime, I try  to trick my brain into thinking something non-pain related...

and yes, sometimes intense climax triggers this too. 

ASked my doctor, the answer was UNKNOWN cause, NO TREATMENT, NO WAY TO PREVENT.

Very sad! 

just had a attack like everyone is talking about and found the sixty second cure lidocaine patch cut in half press from beneath your balls to buthole fast releif i promise

i have the same thing and am currently sitting on the toilet trying to relieve the pain. im 30 years old and have been experiencing these pains since i was about 15. it mainy happens early in the morning and wakes me up and takes about an hour to ease.

I cant believe there isnt more on the net about this...anyway, I just wanted to add my 2 pennys worth that I am currently experiencing this pain and its bloody horrible. Had it a few years now but decided tonight that I would find out exactly what it was that was nearly making me cry!! No I know and thank god all it is, is a little bit of bum cramp! Btw I took 2 ibuprofen half hour ago and the pain has just about gone...night!!

Healthy 28 y/o male with same problem after climax for past year. Walking around house quickly distracts me. Nothing except wait and TRY to relax. Usually over in 5 min. Not "clenching up" at climax helps.

Thank you, like another said I am not alone! I started this when I started menopause and found that walking, sitting on the loo helped. It took me over a year to finally do a search. Thanks my Peeps!