Hello everyone. I have two dogs. They are always together. The older one is 10 years old and the puppy is approximately 4 months old. I tend to feed them at the same time. They have two different bowls. The only problem is that my puppy loves to steal food. :D Even though his bowl is completely full, he always goes to eat food from Benny’s bowl. And the thing is, I buy low protein food for Benny cause he is a senior dog. Is it ok for my puppy to eat low protein food even though he is only 4 months old?

Hey. I wouldn’t do this now, I would wait a few months. Low protein dog foods can be very, but very controversial. A lot of vets will tell you that it is safe to feed your puppy with low protein dog food, but I would recommend you to wait, because this can cause some minor kidney issues. And, you don’t want that. Your puppy is going to grow really fast, and you will be able to feed him with low proteins later. I am not saying that this is harmful, at all, but you should combine protein, fats for your dog. Lower protein food can wait a few more months. 

Hello. I have a puppy myself. I don’t know much about proper puppy care, I’m still learning, but I do know a few stuff about the food for puppies. 

When a got a 3 months old labrador, I went to see my best friend from high school. He recently started working as a vet. He told me pretty much everything that I need to now for now. 

I remember well that he told me to feed my puppy with food that is rich in vitamins, minerals and other nutrients, and also high in protein. Because dogs need protein while they develop.

No, no and no.

Puppies need proteins for developing into fully grown adults. The main rule is that puppies need 10% more proteins than adult dogs. Sick and weak puppies need even more proteins. That’s why you need to take care that your puppy eats his own food (he can still steal from another dog, but make sure that he eats his own portion of daily nutrients).

From my experience, low-protein foods are only prescribed by vet in cases of kidney problems, urinary stones, glomerulonephritis, or congestive heart failure.

If you have any another question about this topic, feel free to PM me.

Take care of that little thief. ;)

Absolutely no, because, like you could read, your puppy can wait a few more months until you start to feed him with low protein dog food. I have to admit that I had a doubt in this as well, but I went to consult my vet. He told me that puppies needs to eat foods that are HIGH in proteins, because that is the best way for them to grow and to get all nutrition that they need. So, I totally support everyone in here – you should wait. There is no need for you to hurry in this, for now you need to feed your dog with high protein dog foods, minerals and vitamins. 

I think everyone here took your question more seriously than they should have.

Of course that feeding a puppy with food low in proteins is not an option, but I think that you already know that, since you are already buying different food for him.

So I assume that’s clear and your question is- is it bad for him to occasionally steal some of the low protein food.  Am I right?

If so, my advice for you is make him get rid of that habit. That food won’t harm him, but it will make him feel full and then he won’t be able to eat the other food appropriate for him.

Today I went to see the vet, and I was talking about food with him, the foods that I should give to my dog. I told him that he is still young, he is still a pet, and he told me that I should pay attention on giving him the right food, that contains a lot of vitamins, minerals, and low protein dog food is something that I should avoid now. He told me that I should give my dog a  food that is high in proteins. So, I will do so, just like he told me. According to him, puppies needs to grow, to be healthy, and high proteins will help him in this. 

I totally agree with rubylock. There is nothing bad if your puppy sometimes steals the low protein food from other’s dog bowl. That food (low protein mix) is not bad at all. The problem would be if this kind of food is the food that you are giving him all the time. Puppies (and all young animals) need food that will help them grow to beautiful strong adult dogs (or other animals). So you need to buy and prepare just high quality foods that are rich in protein, mineral and vitamins (like mia’s friend told her).

You should make him some homemade meals because they are free of additives.

Hi guys.

I raised my corgi and never used any puppy food. I was giving him only homemade food (until he was old enough for canned food) mixed with small amount of proteins (from raw egg yolks, cottage cheese, yogurt or lean meat). I noticed he liked when I add a little olive oil so you can try it as well to spice his food a bit.

Just be sure he eats everything that you prepare for him and he will develop into fully grown adult dog in no time. And then, you won’t have any more worries about low-protein foods. :)