Hi you all, I'm hoping to lose half a stone, but I want to do so through a healthy combination of diet and exercise and not a short term starvation diet. Can you tell me where to start? I have to admit to being the kind of person who loses motivation quite quite quickly. Do you think that I can lose this weight in three to four months, and how?

You are certainly able to lose half a stone in a period of three months, even staying completely healthy. Can you tell us more about your current diet and other habits, so we can help you fill in the gaps and advise you where you can change? As a rule, decreasing the amount of food you eat and increasing your level of physical activity would be a wonderful start, and perhaps all you need to do.

Hi Gillian

There is no quick solution to losing weight but the fact that you want to lose just half a stone over 3 to 4 months is a very realistic goal. Most of us know the basics of weight loss but we find it too inconvenient to implement. Any weight loss method will take some effort and lifestyle changes on your part.

Don't start with a strict diet and hectic workout program. You will definitely lose motivation quickly. Start with something simple like switching to a low GI (glycemic index) diet. This does not mean you have to starve or eat less but rather remove the high GI foods from your diet. Of course reducing your portion sizes will be helpful. If you do not want to go to all that effort, then start off slowly. Remove all refined sugars and starch from your diet, especially white flour. No more breads, pizza or pastries. Instead have rice and durum wheat pasta for your starch intake. For physical activity, don't sign up with the gym and put yourself through a grueling exercise program.

A long walk or even moderate activity in playing your favorite sport is useful if it is done for at least 30 minutes a day three times a week. Or you can go with the more high tech way and buy one of those interactive game consoles with fun games and activities (not sure if I am allowed to mention the brand name here). It's not only for kids and you can burn calories from the comfort of your living room.

Once you lose the first few pounds, you will be motivated to go on a more strict diet and maybe even join the gym.