Hey people. I think that I don’t still understand some things about cat’s anal glands. My cat is driving me crazy, one day she is perfectly fine, next one she is really angry and depressed at the same time. I went to see the vet, and she told me that this is something that will happen very often with my cat, even if we did the procedure :/ I was talking with my friend about this, and she told me that I need to drain cat’s anal gladn. I was really surprised, because I really don’t know what that means and how to do that?

Do you have experience with it? 

This is a story that never ends, obviously. I don’t have a cat, but I really do know how this can be annoying.

Well, to do that, you will need surgical gloves, gauzes and clean water. To do this, you need to have a partner to help you in this procedure. Next, you should trim the perineal area. Locate the gland openings. Pull the tail very gently and observe the anus.  Wipe dried secretions. Than you should pinch the anal glands gently, push upwards increasing the pressure until the glands pop and release secretions. If there is a blood, than cat’s anal gland is probably infected. 

It is pretty simple. I already explained that to someone on this site, but I will explain it again.

It is much cheaper than visiting a vet and after the first time you do it on your own, every other time will be a piece of cake.

First, you need to make sure you have clean environment. Some towels maybe, a sheet and stuff like that. Lift your cat’s tail up so that you can see the glands. If they’re full,  squeeze them in a C-shaped sweeping movement (use your thumb and forefinger). If the fluid is yellow or blood tinted, your cat has an infection and needs to go to the vet. Fluid should be dark brown to clear color.

It is really nice explanation, thank you. But, to be honest with you, I am a little bit scared. I know that I need to learn to do this one day, but I still refuse. The main reason is because I was watching my vet doing this and I was thinking that this is really easy procedure. But, I couldn’t do this alone. My cat was really nervous and I couldn’t catch her in the house. My mom was helping me, but still nothing.

I want to know what I need to do, how to keep my cat calm in this situation? 

But is that really safe? My cat also has problems with anal glands. I read all about the draining process but I’m afraid I won’t be able to do that since I’ve never done that before.

It sounds pretty easy when you read about it, but I think it would be a lot tougher if I actually started doing it.And knowing my cat, I will be needing 5 people just to hold her still.Maybe the best for me would be to take her to the vet and observe how he is doing it so that I can do it on my own next time. What do you think?

Why wouldn’t it be safe?

I agree. It seems a lot simpler when you read about it and it’s a whole  different thing when you need to actually do it.

But all you need to do is to be well informed and everything will be ok. You can find some pictures on the internet to help you figure out where exactly are the glands positioned.

Make sure you have someone there to help you and don’t worry, everything will be fine.

Actually, you know what? If you feel insecure about it, maybe it’s better for a vet to do it. You don’t want to torture your cat.

Hi, guys.

I had the same problem as you, but never had enough courage to perform this “surgery” by my own. I read thousands of manuals and even watched YouTube videos about it, but finally realized that I’m too clumsy to do something as sensitive as draining anal glands is.

I took her to the vet and he dealt with it. I was happy, my cat was happy, vet was happy (because I paid him, lol ). Triple win, if you ask me. And I avoided tampering with unpleasant smell.

@gollum image member, I really liked your short FAQ. Have you ever considered doing that for money?