Hello guys. I really need your help.  One of my cats (I have 3 of them) has some health problems and I don’t know how to help her. She’s been licking her under tail area for a while so I figured that her anal gland got ruptured and from her behavior I can tell she is in pain. I am really sad when I see her like that.

Does anyone here have any experience with this type of health problems? Is it serious? Do you know what is the best treatment for it?  Is it possible for me to help her without seeing the vet?

If you are asking me for an advice, just remove the glands if they are frequently causing problems.

My cat had problems with anal glands ever since I adopted her, and it’s been 6 years since then. And it was only recently when a vet suggested me to have her anal glands removed. I don’t understand why did he decide to wait that long, if he had them removed the first time we were there, my cat would be peaceful for 5 years at least.

I guess he had his reasons to try to save them, even though I heard their only function is to mark territory.

I agree with you Mima, because that is basically the only option. This is something that is really common for almost all cats, and you really don’t need to be afraid.  My cat have a problem with anal gland as well, for a while now. Now, I clean it by myself, but before, when I didn’t have any experience, I was taking my cat to the vet. That is my advice for you as well, if you don’t have any experience, take your cat to the vet and he will teach you about this.

It is not hard, and you don’t have to be scared. 

I always looked on cat’s anal glands like tonsil stones in humans. They have only one purpose, but aren’t essential for normal body functioning. So, if they start causing you any unpleasantness, get rid of them. That’s why I took all my cats that had problems with anal glands to the vet and had them removed.

My cats have my backyard and don’t need to mark any other territory, so that wasn’t any loss for them.

Of course, you can try to clean them (by yourself or get it done by vet), but from my experience, that is only a short-term solution. 

It is actually a piece of cake once you learn it. If you don’t know how to do this, let your vet to take care of it. When you do this and when you learn this, you cat will be really happier. But, you should know that the treatment depends on the state of problem at the time of examination. You can treat this with antibiotics, surgical removal of the glands, especially if this problem is happening over and over again and expressing the anal glands.

Please, if you are not sure what to do, consult the vet. That is the best solution. 

I had so many problems with my cat’s anal glands. I remember when it first occurred with my female cat (she died recently :( not because of the glands of course, she was old). I had no idea what it is, I panicked so much when the vet told me, but later on I found out that this is a pretty common problem among cats and dogs.I got the anal glands removed with my first cat and I am definitely planning to do the same with my second cat because they’re driving me crazy. I clean them by myself regularly, but that’s not the solution to her problem. I recommend removing them.

Hello Victoria. I’ve been a cat owner for a while now. I can tell you my experience when it comes to ruptured cat’s anal gland. My cat had this problem two months ago. When I took her to the vet nobody suggested the removal of the glands, I guess they have a good reason for trying to avoid surgical procedure.  Especially if the cat is old. So that wasn’t an option for me. The vet cleaned the area and then he put on antibiotics. He warned me I mustn’t let my cat lick herself anymore and he gave me an e-collar.