Hello all.

My Rex is acting very strangely. I thought he is just nervous  at first but then I noticed that he is licking his under tail all the time and I figured also that he is in pain. I asked my neighbor to watch him and to figure out what is wrong with him (He has a lot of experience with dogs). He watched him just a couple of minutes and he immediately told me that he has anal gland issues. He also told me that I probably need to take him to vet for anal gland removal surgery.

I am very sad because of that. How painful is that surgery?

Yes, you should definitely consult the vet, because this is how dog acts when he has problems with anal glands. Sometimes, surgery is something that you can’t avoid. I believe that your dog will be in pain for a few days, but this is a surgery that the vet will do when your dog is under anesthesia. But, you should also know that this is a delicate surgery, and that many vets perform this procedure routinely. There is one main complication that can happen during the surgery – permanent damage of the nerves that are close to the anal sphincter. But, if your vet has a lot of experience, it should be just fine. Some dogs also will experience loose stools for a few weeks, but sometimes this surgery is the only way. 

I really don’t want to scare you, but the recovery is really, really painful for dogs. My friend Johnny had almost the same problem with his dog Oscar. He was in pain, and vet did this procedure or surgery, whatever. He was in pain like for three weeks, he had problems with his stool as well. But, later he was really, really better. I think that he was in bigger pain when he had anal gland disease. Recovery is something that is painful as well, but it will pass as well. I don’t know, but I believe that this is really painful for them. 

Hello there. I am sorry about your dog. You should know that anal gland issues are very common. I have read in some website that approximately one in 5 dogs is experiencing problems with anal gland.

Thing you should do first is to take Rex to vet as soon as possible. Fortunately, more than 50 percent of cases can be treated with some medications. That means surgery is not needed.

That could be good news. At the other hand, if removal surgery is needed then you should know that it can be very painful. But after it, the dogs are recovering very fast and they won’t have that kind of problems anymore.

I am not going to lie to you. It is painful. But that’s not something that you need to focus on. That is the most common mistake that owners of dogs make. Even though their dogs clearly have unsolvable problems with anal glands, they decide to postpone the procedure because they don’t like the fact that it is painful for their dogs. 

But this pain is short term, and the problems that anal glands cause are long term. They’re about to go away for good if you do the surgery. Your dog will never experience them again. Focus on that, ok?

It depends from case to case. For some dogs is more painful than for others. But, if surgery is needed you can only try to ease him pain a little. You can do only one grave mistake – not doing anything. Remember that post-op pain is just temporary pain, and pain from anal gland problems is permanent.

So, although your dog will be in some pain after the surgery, he will be once again healthy and happy dog after pain is gone.

Of course, you need to take Rex to the vet, so he/she can confirm the diagnosis. Keep us informed.

Cheers!

Hey there. I am reading your comments and I have to say that I disagree with someone in here. First of all, it doesn’t have to be that painful like you describe…At all. I totally agree that this depends from case to case. You do know that I don’t have so much experience with it, but I was talking with my neighbor about this. She told me that her dog has problems with this for a while, but surgery and recovery was not so painful for her dog. After three or four days, he was totally normal.Only thing that you should on is to react on time. 

Hello everyone. I really can’t talk from my own experience, because my dog didn’t have this problem. And, I can’t describe how happy I am because of this. I was talking with my brother and he told me that first three days were like a hell, but after three days everything was fine. The recovery was excellent and his dog didn’t have problems again with it.

Maybe I was wrong, but as I were saying, I don’t know that much about this, because I didn’t have any experience. But, it would be nice to hear what other people are thinking about this issue.