Hey there. A few days ago, my dog run away from home. I don’t know why, because he had perfect conditions and everything was ok. Two weeks ago, to be exact, he came back and I saw that he was wet, dirty and a little bit hurt. He was so sad. I was cleaning him, and I saw that he has anal gland rupture. I don’t have any experience with it, I will take him to the vet, but I need to hear your experience, I need to hear your advice.

How to treat anal gland rupture in small dogs?

Tnx in advance. 

You must be feeling very sad because he ran away. Hope you will find him very soon.

Fortunately for me, my corgi never had serious problems with his anal glands. When I first got him, and during our first trip to the vet for vaccination, I asked the vet about all possible problems corgi and myself can expect. Among them were anal glands issues.

I remember that vet told me that, if my corgi ever gets ruptured anal glands, I should get him back to the clinic for debriding of affected skin tissue (followed with flushing and cleaning of the anal area).

So, if you find him, get him to the vet as soon as possible.

I remember when my dog ran away when I was so sad. I didn’t eat, I didn’t sleep, I was really scared. I know how you felt than.

I was talking with the vet and he told me that I really should consider to take my dog at his office as soon as I see that he has problems with anal gland rupture, especially because my dog is still small. He told me that this area can be impacted and infected, and this is something that I should not do alone, without someone who is an expert.

So, if you see that your dog has problems with it, take him to the vet. 

So, did you take your dog to the vet? You really should do it as soon as possible. So, if anal gland is compacted and infected, the infection will be unable to drain from the duct. This can rupture through the skin over the anal gland. The main signs of a ruptured anal gland include obvious evidence of a draining track with bloody discharge. It also include licking, swelling and obvious pain. But, as I said you should take him to the vet, because treatment is often done under the anesthesia. It includes debriding the affected skin tissue and cleaning this area. 

My dog never ran away and I am not judging you, but I think that could never happen to me. I’ve had several dogs for more than nine years and not once have I lost on of my dogs. They are never left alone and I know them so well that I know exactly which of them can be unleashed and which might run away if I unleash them.

As for the ruptured gland, my advice is go to the vet first thing in the morning. He is small and therefore more sensitive, I’m afraid he might lose some blood. A vet can handle ruptured glands, it happens pretty often. The treatment consists of antibiotics, cleaning the area and maybe getting an e-collar in order to prevent the dog from licking.

The treatment usually considers antibiotics. I remember when I had a problem with my dog’s anal glands. 

The vet prescribed me antibiotics and suggested me to prevent my dog to lick the area very often. He also said it would be a good idea to clean the area regularly. 

Sometimes when there is a ruptured gland a surgical procedure is required, but I’ve never had experience with those. I think that they do that with anesthesia but I am not quite sure. Your vet will tell you everything. Maybe your dog doesn’t even need it. It depends on how bad is it. 

Your smug answer about your dogs never running away is so NOT helpful or comforting. And they are never left alone either? I see. How lonely for you never leaving your home without dogs along. Get real lady!