Hi mommyofthree, doubled here. Just had the surgery Nov. 5 2012 and can honestly say it waasn't that bad. The only real pain was when I coughed from all the extra flem (gross) I had from smoking the last 32 years. Good Luck and don't be scared, you'll do great

I am having the surgery December 17th at the Cleveland Clinic. Hoping for the best after 9 occurences of Diverticulitis.  It has been helpful to hear others experiences, and I will post post op and share my experience.  Good luck to all who are considering this surgery! Praying for a great outcome.

!mid nov i had severe abd pain, thought blatter infection,treated and still no relief went to er was diagnosed with diverticulitus had no clue what it was. Before I knew it i was out and awoke with a hole in my stomache (partial colectomy?) what a shock, we are hoping that it can be reversed in a year. I am a 50 yr old woman just starting a new life. Unfortunatly I have had complications. with Colitus ect. But keeping a posative attitude and looking to find some one with the same history. I didn't recieve much help from dr.s or home health and am pretty much on my own with this. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Tammi,
I'm sorry you're not getting much help with this. My experience was somewhat similar - nobody tells you what to expect, how to care for yourself, what to eat, etc. My best advice is to take it slow in all things. They should have put you on a liquid or bland diet while you're recovering from the surgery. You should SLOWLY add foods to your diet - one at a time so you can tell if you're tolerating it. Also, I hate to keep beating a dead horse (Ive mentioned this in previous posts but it bears repeating) - watch for signs of infection, especially c-diff, and get help quickly if you have any signs. Your chances of c-diff infection are higher when you have any type of bowel surgery. My infection was introduced DURING the surgery. Best of luck to you. I hope you heal well, and quickly!

I had the same operation 10 years ago. Had a bag for 4 months. Everything went well, I thought I would not have any more problems, wrong! In September of this year I had the remaining portion of my large intestine removed, all of it! Luckily I did not have to have a permanent bag. They created a "J pouch". My point in telling you this is, watch your diet, lots of fiber and avoid things that are difficult to digest, follow your doctors' orders. Surgeons aren't much help after they feel they have done their job. Mine tells me to take an aspirin. Having no large intestine is not fun. It will be a long time before I completely recover. Major issues with diarrhea, finding foods I can tolerate and lots of pain. Good luck and take good care of yourself hopefully you will not be where I am.

Hi;
Maybe I should not say this but 5 yrs ago I had colon resection for diverticulitis (4 attacks in one yr) The surgery took 3 hrs instead of 1 1/2 because the staple gun broke. Right after surgery when I got home I had diarrhea 20 X a day. Now I am down to 5-6 X a day mostly soft stool. I have a lot of other symptoms caused by the surgery, I have not been able to find out what caused my problems or what it is. (SIBO, IBS, ect) Before surgery I was normal to a little constipated. I have not talked to anyone that had this surgery to know if most people come through it OK, that is a good question to asks you Dr.

I was not told I could not eat everything after surgery, which now it seems like you should be on a restricted diet at least somewhat. I wished I had some advice to give you but I really do not. I hope you get a lot of replies to see if other people come through it without problems. I wish you the best of luck with your surgery.

I did have an infection where it drains which was no big deal so keep a close eye on that when you get home. I was given more antibiotics for it and it cleared up OK. Fern

Hi;

I live alone and got by OK except for changing the drain material which I found out I could do OK. But a friend did it the first couple of time for me. It is real easy and was fine by myself. I was not told to limit thing I eat and it sounds like you should so ask your Dr. Good Luck, Fern

Hi Liibra:

I had colon surgery 5 yrs ago for diverticulities and ended up with problems, diarrhea, gas, bloating, nausea,not feeling like I empty out, weight gain, gas bubble under the right rib area. Can't find a Dr to help me, not sure what it is (SIBO, IBS, ect. There is so many things that have the same symptoms. It does not sound like you have solved the problem either. I feel if I did not have to eat I would be fine, food seem to be the problelm but can't always tell which food. So far vinegar and a special tea I make is the only thing that seem to help some. Vinegar for low stomach acid that home tests point to I have. Special tea help calm my stomach down and with heartburn. It has not been fun. I sure hope I don't have to have anymore removed. Can I ask why you had to have more removed?? Thanks, Fern

Hi tammibroughton;

I am new to this site but it sounds like a lot of us are in the same boat. I am not sure just what my problem is since so many things have the same symptoms, diarrhea, gas, nausea, cramping, bloating, feeling like you don't empty all the way, weight gain. My colon resection was 5 yrs ago for diverticulities after 4 or more attacks in a yrs. I think we are all pretty much on our own and the Drs don't seem to help any or even seem to care. Too much work for them. If you find any answer to solving this I would love to know. I belong to a few other support sites and we are all pretty much searching for answers. Fern

I am sorry you are having such problems. I understand all too well. I had to have the rest of the large intestine removed as the diverticulitis returned in new areas and became infected.

Hi Liibra; I read somewhere that you can correct diverticulitis, I wished I had saved it as you never know when it might come back again. But thinking about it i don't know how you can as it is pockets formed in the intestine that ge filled up. Every time you have an attack-bleeding,cramping & pain does that mean it is infected? Each time I had one I ended up going to ER the pain was so bad. Fern

Can you get diverticulitis in the small intestine? My doctor said to eat anything I could tolerate. So far I have not found many things that do not cause gas, bloating, pain and the constant trips to the bathroom.

Hi;

After my colon resection for diverticulitics I ended up with GI problems. I keep going back to the Dr that did the surgery to see if she could tell me why I had all these problems and she said she did not know what was causing it. Now 5 yrs later the problems are still there not as bad but still there. From what I have found out lately from the Internet and support sites is some people end up with GI problems after colon resection. This you might want to talk to the Dr about before surgery. I am assuming I either have SIBO, IBS or one of the other problems but all the Drs I have been to has not helped me any. My own research is what has helped my problems some. I was not told of any special diet to do with the attacks or after colon resection which in both cases you should be careful what you eat. With the attacks watching what you eat might stopped you from having more attacks and after surgery might help it heal better.

Im 20 and was diagnosed with diverticulitis a year ago. I dont know what to do. I have had attacjs and my stomachs always hurting.. I go to college so cant afford to miss many days. But i think i need surgery); any suggestions? Anything?

Ashleigh my name is John an i had the surgery in July an i cant stress enough that you can not put this off because of school. You can always go back to school, but you cant get your life back. Diverticulitos can affect you for the rest of your life if not treated.